Need some advice from police officers...

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Alright, like the title says, I normally hate these threads, but I need help with advice for my girlfriend. She works at a nation wide chain of home improvement stores. She works as a cashier. She lives about an hour away from me and she told me in texts tonight that her department manager got upset with her because she couldn't remember how to do a return, and physically grabbed her by the vest and shoulder, and dragged her away from the register. She says she left the area crying as the manager was yelling at her.

She says she reported it to her HR manager and the store manager on duty, and according to her, they said they were going to write her up and counsel her on laws concerning coworker abuse, and besides, since it happened on the stores' time, the police won't be able to do much.

I'm trying hard to get her to file a police report, and demand more action from the employer, but she is afraid of losing her job, she says it happens all the time and nothing is ever done.

Any advice on what to tell her or how to help her?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
IMHO, handling it in-house is going to get her further than the CJ system.

If anything, here, it'd be simple assault, maybe disorderly conduct. But, good luck getting it to stick or go anywhere, sounds like it'd be hard to prove, he said/she said if there aren't physical, observable injuries. Most like this get plead out or dropped.

When it comes to people jobs, and the possibility of loosing them, by handling it in-house, people tend to shape up. Have you GF talk to other employees to see if there's a history of this. If so, get everyone together as one group and go to her boss about it. Don't go individually, as statements can get discounted or twisted if there aren't witnesses. The company policies on situations like this may/can order treatment, or counseling/anger management if they're acting out at work and making it a hostile work environment. Discipline can be reprimand, suspension or termintation.

Hopefully this helps.

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Thanks for replying. Her managers, IMHO, are just going to feed her a line of BS to keep her quiet. She's said theres a history with this woman, that shes done this to other workers.

Also, being in the cashout area, it should be on camera.

litning

May 21, 2010
Central NH
I would call and send a letter to the district manager documenting the situation. That will go a lot further than the local HR people potentially covering it up.

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Thanks, I'll do that.

I'm so mad right now between the situation and her cowardly attitude and inability to stand up for herself. I can barely see straight.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Forget the store videos, I'd go and tape it from a distance while she "goofs" again. This bullying has got to stop!

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
From my police hat side, I'll tell you others are correct, and that little will be done in the courts. As a Union Director, with enough HR training to make dangerous assumptions, I would say going to corporate HR, or a District Manager, will probably get this person fired, as they rightfully should be. She has created a hostile workplace, where your GF now undoubtedly works in fear.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Uninvited touch as described here would be simple battery (Florida statutes). If prosecution is desired, a police report needs to be generated. Since it wasn't witnessed by a police officer, she would have to get with the State Attorney / Prosecutor, and attempt to convince them that the offense occurred. Obviously, this would require impartial witnesses. Anyone else see this that is willing to risk the wrath of the company? I'd think that taking the HR route would be more productive, but that depends on the company. Most are quick to adjust their managers, to prevent further legal action. You may desire to have a lawyer prepare a cover letter outlining her intent to take legal action if the situation isn't resolved to her satisfaction. I'm assuming that since she was unfamiliar with a procedure, that she is a newer employee. Another issue to consider is if she is still on some sort of probation, if a new hire. She could potentially be dismissed without cause during that probationary period. An easy way to quiet an issue.

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Just for informations sake, she has worked there part time for 3 years, so no probationary status, she just doesn't do returns much.

That being said, after speaking with her all night, I'm chalking this up to a bitchy supervisor and an emotional meltdown on her part. It sounds as if maybe it wasn't as violent and she first made it out to be.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Scummy employer with even scummier HR people (HR people are on my worst people in the world list). I love how employers encourage people to report misconduct, harassment, theft, etc and have it blow up in their face. No wonder so many people just sit there and take it in fear of being fired.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.