Need your help with this Whelen Edge 9000

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
To begin with, Im a rotator light guy. I just got this Edge 9000 and was wondering if anyone can help me with the wiring? With the old school lights its pretty much power and ground. This edge has 2 cables coming out of it. 1 small cable has 1 black and 1 white wire. The larger cable looks to have 13 multicolored wires. How do I wire this thing? It has 8 strobes, 2 front TD's, 2 alleys, 2 rear flashers. Thanks for any help you can give me.....

edge.jpg

Iowamedic2013

Feb 14, 2014
Bellevue Iowa
empire5150 said:
To begin with, Im a rotator light guy. I just got this Edge 9000 and was wondering if anyone can help me with the wiring? With the old school lights its pretty much power and ground. This edge has 2 cables coming out of it. 1 small cable has 1 black and 1 white wire. The larger cable looks to have 13 multicolored wires. How do I wire this thing? It has 8 strobes, 2 front TD's, 2 alleys, 2 rear flashers. Thanks for any help you can give me.....

http://www.whelen.com/install/136/13657.pdf. Hope this helps.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
That install guide will not help. PLease list the large cable wire colors and I should be able to help you out. The small cable with the wht/blk wires coming out is for a SA40 speaker i believe.

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
Thank you Steve. Colors coming right up.....

The small cable has a black and a white.

The big cable consists of:

red

black

white

grey

blue

purple

red/black

white/black

orange

brown

green

yellow

there are 3 additional wires in the center wrapped separate from the above, but all together:

black

white

bare/no color

Last edited by a moderator:

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
It has been a while I know. The bar I have with these wires is at work on a 35 years in business display. I have 2 more here at home but 1 is a matrix 9308 that is basically set up similar to a 9M but has less trigger wires and the other is a 9308 that is wired up similar to a HC Freedom bar with multiple grounds and direct power wires for the functions. I may be able to pull it down tomorrow and check it out on the work power supply. I will get it to you.

~Steve

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
empire5150 said:
Thank you Steve. Colors coming right up.....

The small cable has a black and a white.

The big cable consists of:

red

black

white

grey

blue

purple

red/black

white/black

orange

brown

green

yellow

there are 3 additional wires in the center wrapped separate from the above, but all together:

black

white

bare/no color

I know for a fact that the cable with the white black and bare are for the speaker. As far as the big cable, the brown is the hot wire. You connect it to the other wires in that group and it controls the relay board. The other white and black is what is throwing me.

If you can gain access to the rear drivers side of the bar, that is where the "relay matrix" is. See what is powering that board. There should be a cable with just a red and black 12 AWG wire that is suppose to put stand by power to the bar (this is the main power for the bar). I am thinking someone rewired the bar and used the white and black as the power.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.