Need your input

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Hi Guys,

Finalizing our next product release. Our lightbar is going to have to wait for a little bit. Need your input on an interior bar. Need to know the following preferences:

Preferred number of lightheads?
Number of LEDs per lighthead (3, 4, or 6)?
TIR or Linear?
Single or dual color?
Do you need takedowns?
Color combo (all red, all blue, mixes)?

This applies to both the front and rear.
Would like to get this project wrapped up soon and introduced.

Thanks,
Tony

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
+1 to this answer. As for tir/linear, a good portion depends on tint/no tint. There are few choices for linear that can actually punch through tint. That being said, I know little to nothing about your lightheads and optics, so not sure what your offering is like.

6 LEDs per head, # of heads I'd say 8-10, takedowns yes, dual color yes and mix of all colors, red white blue. Guess I'd say linear but no preference

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Why not a mix of optics? Or maybe TIR heads with optional diffusers you can just snap on or off?

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Here's how I'm looking at it.

6 LEDs per head = 6 lightheads across the front for split shields. Split shields because more and more vehicles are having things placed up high in the middle. This is a more universal fit.

Modules that are solid colors only for a larger footprint. No split modules as that decreases intensity per head. No mixtures of colors when the lightheads fire. The eyes can't discern between the two.

I see takedowns for use by law enforcement mostly, and not so much by FF and EMS, so TDs mean TIR for focused light. You could use Linear, but high beams still work best IMO.

Dual color is best with Linear. The LEDs on dual color heads usually interweave. It's harder to make TIR optics fit so closely together and not interfere with intensity. Linear optics are the best optics for this application.

If I'm missing something, please point it out. Especially with rational. We're going for effectiveness here. We're making a product that has a lot of thought put into it.

I'm not going to release too much info on it before it's release as a lot of it will be never before considered features.

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
In that case, 8 lightheads (4 on each side)

Here's how I'm looking at it.
6 LEDs per head = 6 lightheads across the front for split shields. Split shields because more and more vehicles are having things placed up high in the middle. This is a more universal fit.

Everything else you said makes perfect

Other things to consider:

- Pattern switch on back of bar - example would be if it is a forward facing bar, and you wanted to implement an arrow function, it would be much easier to change it this way, especially if the bar is hard-wired. could also do arrow-specific buttons

- LED indicator on back of bar to show pattern

- Hi/Lo brightness?

- Have the slave side of bar plug into master side instead of having a connector in the middle - cable management will be easier

Ta2dResqr

Nov 19, 2015
Marengo, Ohio
Preferred number of lightheads? 10 (5 per wide for a front split or 10 total solid for rear)
Number of LEDs per lighthead (3, 4, or 6)? 6
TIR or Linear? TIR
Single or dual color? Single
Do you need takedowns? No, but a constant on would be a nice option.
Color combo (all red, all blue, mixes)? I would offer all. Personally I would use red/white

The indicator on back to show pattern that was mentioned would be a nice option.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
OK, maybe I wasn't clear. At 6 LEDs per module, the length of the module only allows 6 heads max, therefore 3 heads per shield on a split model. Smaller heads, more numbers, however, less LEDs shining.

We will be introducing a 12 LED module option later, but that is a linear version.

10 modules could only be the 3 LED option, however, 10 x 3 = 30 LEDs. My suggestion, 6 x 6 = 36 LEDs. Larger footprint.

The indicator pattern on the back of the bar reminds me of the China knockoff bars.

So you want the controls on the back of the bar and not in the wire harness?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
6+ LEDs per lighthead.

Linear.

Keep it simple with Single & Basic Duo color options using the 3 major colors ...
Front: R, B, A, R/B duo
Rear: R, B, A, RB duo, RA duo, BA duo

Nice option to have TDS (and an upcharge is def reasonable).

Plug n Play would be a nice option. You can then also sell replacement inboards if ppl decide to change colors (i.e. VFF running blue gets elected chief then needs red). Flexibility & the A.D.D. of our fellow whackers that like to change their setup on a daily basis would make this an attractive feature of the bar

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.