New 2 watt chineese (ham) radio that has been typed 90 approved. (Not wouxon)...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
a4.bp.blogspot.com__17_FOYg65Bg_TcS_p8O_gPI_AAAAAAAADKc_BciMcHyMUcc_s1600_baofeng_uv_3r_409shop.jpeg

FCC PART 90 APPROVED BAOFENG UV-3R Dual-Band

VHF 136-174

UHF 400-470MHz

Mini dual-band Portable FM Transceiver

FCC ID # ZP5BF-3R

Description:

The transceiver is a micro-miniature multiband FM transceiver with extensive receive frequency coverage, providing local-area two-way amateur communications along with unmatched monitoring capability.

» Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-470MHz

-» Dual-Band Display, Dual-Standby

-» Output Power: 2 Watts

-» 99 Channels + 1 Emergency Channel

-» 50 CTCSS and 104 CDCSS

-» Built-in VOX Function

-» FM Radio (87.0MHz-108.0MHz

-» LED Flashlight

-» Large LCD Display

-» Hight /Low Power Switchable

-» 25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable

-» Emergency Alert

-» Low Battery Alert

-» Battery Saver

-» Time-out Timer

-» Keypad Lock

-» Monitor Channel

-» Black color only

-» FCC Part 90 approved

Features:

General:

» Frequency range : VHF136-174MHz UHF 400-470MHz (Dual Band)

» Output power: 2W

» Channels: 99 channels

» Rated Voltage C3.8V (Rechargeable Li-ion battery)

» Frequency Stability: 2.5PPM

» Battery: 1200mAh Li-ion battery

» Battery Life(5-5-90 duty cycle) : 8 hours

» Antenna Impedance :50Ω

» Operated Temperature Range : -30°C ~+ 60°C

» Weitht: About 130g

» Dimension (H X W X D) : 81 mm x 47 mm x 23 mm

Transmitter:

-» Transmitting Current: ≤1.4A

-» Sensitivity (12dB SINAD): 0.2uV

-» Spurious Response Rejection ≤-60dB

-» Audio output Power@8Ω≤1.7V

-» Receiver Current≤400mA

-» Standby Current≤75mA

Receiver:

-» RF Power Rating : 2W

-» Modulation: F3E

-» Spurious Emission: ≥65db

-» FM Noise: 45dB(N)/42dB(W)

Package:

-» BAOFENG UV-3R Dual Band Radio

-» Ac Charger 110V

-» Battery (Li-ion 3.7V 1200mAH )

-» 1 x UHF Antenna

-» 1 x VHF Antenna

-» Hang Strap

-» Belt Clip and Screw

-» Operation Manual

-» Free Earpiece

-» FCC part 90 approved sticker on radio

Pricing is between $60 - $70

May 22, 2010
New York City
gallagher073 said:
I was looking at the wouxon and I was going to buy one.

911 - do you have any experience using it. if so how is the audio quality?

thanks for the input

i personally do not use one, as it doesnt cover the freqs i need...

but i toyed around with it a few times, its decent for a $40 (wholesale)

dont expect motorola quality,but not as bad as toys r us radios...u get what you pay for....

turnz

May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
In my county, POLICE 1 is 45.100mhz. I have a portable that receives and transmits on that frequency.

Another Constable that I often work with has a cross-band repeater set up in his car with two Motorola Mobile units. His portable is on 463.050mhz to talk to the repeater in his car.

Could I get one of these and set it up the same way to talk to his repeater when I work with him? Can it be fitted with a shoulder mic of some kind?

May 22, 2010
New York City
turnz said:
In my county, POLICE 1 is 45.100mhz. I have a portable that receives and transmits on that frequency.

Another Constable that I often work with has a cross-band repeater set up in his car with two Motorola Mobile units. His portable is on 463.050mhz to talk to the repeater in his car.

Could I get one of these and set it up the same way to talk to his repeater when I work with him? Can it be fitted with a shoulder mic of some kind?

i do not see why not ! and yes you can get a shoulder mic but it will be real tiny or bigger than the radio itself lol

turnz

May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ok. I plan to look into getting one then. Where can I get the best price? 911, you said you sold some, do you have more? Do they come in black? I am in Southern PA.

May 22, 2010
New York City
i sell them for $79 all day long, im not going to tell you im the cheapest, im not , go to ebay you can get them for $44.00 shipped

they come in a ton of colors, black,red,blue,yellow,camo,white,organge,lime

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
How hard are they to program?

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
911 said:
i sell them for $79 all day long, im not going to tell you im the cheapest, im not , go to ebay you can get them for $44.00 shipped

they come in a ton of colors, black,red,blue,yellow,camo,white,organge,lime

Only seller so far is one from Hong Kong. No U.S. sellers on Ebay?

May 22, 2010
New York City
its rare you are going to see a us seller on ebay selling them, as its not a us radio.......

what comes with it, depends on who you buy it from......

i buy them directly from a ebay seller, but not thru ebay......

its cheaper for him that way, no fee's and he gives me a better price.........

turnz

May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
I found one US dealer. He wants $60, but will give a deal if you have a HAM license. I asked him about a Law Enforcement deal. If he does, I'll post the info.

turnz

May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
My buddy is telling me that I need to be able to program codes along with just the frequency. Of course he doesn't do his own programming, so I'm not sure he even knows enough to tell me what it needs to be capable of.

I don't know programming, so perhaps you guys will know what he is referring to, and can tell me if this chinese radio is capable of it.

I am aware that there are tones and codes that need to be used, but I don't know enough about it to know if the radio is capable.

May 22, 2010
New York City
you need to know what freq and pl tones you need to program radio does it

but if you do not know how to program a radio, leave it to those who do ..... nothing like a customer bringing you a radio thats a mess with wrong channels...... and have to fix there mistakes...... after they brick it......... but then again this radio doesnt compare to a real radio, so no fear of bricking it

May 22, 2010
New York City
cvfd1615 said:
This radio will transmit public safety frequencies? I'd be leary at only 2 watts depending on my life w/ such a small wattage radio.

yes it will, and yes we finally agree on something !! 2 watts isnt enough

my buyers use them to monitor mostly........

turnz

May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yes, he told me the PL tones is what he was referring to. Also, I am only transmitting as far away as the car. I can't imagine that would ever be longer than 100 yards line of sight. but more like from the back door of a house to the car parked out front. His mobile is 5watts.

If the radio comes with the programming software and cable, how difficult could it be to program with the frequency and PL code in front of me?

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Some info on Part 90 type accepted, for what it's worth:

Note that any “Part 90” type accepted radio must be programmed in advance: by FCC regulation they cannot be changed in the field beyond their pre-programmed frequencies. Most manufacturers, to meet their FCC obligations, will not sell programming software and programming cables to individuals.

May 22, 2010
New York City
Tristar said:

Note that any “Part 90” type accepted radio must be programmed in advance: by FCC regulation they cannot be changed in the field beyond their pre-programmed frequencies. Most manufacturers, to meet their FCC obligations, will not sell programming software and programming cables to individuals.

just wondering what company wont sell it? never heard of that !

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Tristar said:

Name one that won't please?

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
I can buy programming cables and software from /\/\ all day long as an individual and they are notoriously one of the most strict with that sort of thing.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I'm not saying that companies won't sell the programming software, I was simply stating that they're not supposed to, according to FCC rules. I doubt the FCC really cares, one way or the other, but I wouldn't want to be the one to be made an example of, if they suddenly go on a witch hunt.

May 22, 2010
New York City
well, look over what you wrote, you said most compaines WILL NOT SELL it to you.......................

you are most likely one of the people who would call the FCC , seems you like talking about them in your posts ! :hahano:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ch31391 said:
Only seller so far is one from Hong Kong. No U.S. sellers on Ebay?

look for the ads that say "shipped from USA.

there are sellers that are selling 5 packs for $200.

ham in the next county over says his was supposed to ship in 3 weeks but got it in 5 days.

Ive done some more research on them and they appear to be great lil radios, but do have some problems if you get an older model

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Tristar said:
I'm not saying that companies won't sell the programming software, I was simply stating that they're not supposed to, according to FCC rules. I doubt the FCC really cares, one way or the other, but I wouldn't want to be the one to be made an example of, if they suddenly go on a witch hunt.

Cite please? No where in the part 90 rules does it state the above, so where did you read this information and would you be so kind as to share it with the rest of us?

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
911 said:
well, look over what you wrote, you said most compaines WILL NOT SELL it to you.......................

you are most likely one of the people who would call the FCC , seems you like talking about them in your posts ! :hahano:

For what it's worth, as I said in the other thread (not threads - plural), I couldn't care less about part 90 either way. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. No, I don't go calling the FCC - I did it once, when fellow hams told me that someone was using my call sign in the NY tri-state area after I moved halfway across the country. I wanted the FCC to be aware of the situation, so if this person did create problems, I didn't want to be blamed for it. I in fact used to have an Icom U-16 that was user programmable. As I've gotten lots of enjoyment and help from this site in the time I've been a member, all I was trying to do was alert other members who are hams to something they may not have been aware of. If I was wrong, or my post was misconstrued, my apologies. Please don't be so quick to judge - you have mistaken my trying to help for some sort of vigilante. As far as the other post you refer to, please read my response. Thank you.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
common sense would indicate that that statement is false...

or else why would they sell "Field programmable radios"

ohh and those new super huge radios that are for emcomm in multi agency emergencys that are also programmable on the dime. ( dont remeber the name but their something or other 1000's)

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Jarred J. said:
common sense would indicate that that statement is false...

or else why would they sell "Field programmable radios"

Using your statement above, I should be able to conclude that I can purchase a red light and siren to install and use on my personal vehicle. Or that I can purchase and legally use blue lights on my front license plate, windshield wipers, etc... I can easily enough find a seller who would gladly sell me all of these items. Since I can buy them, they must be legal to use!

Has anyone even checked out the actual FCC certification for this radio. I did the other day. They may be advertising the radio at 2 watts but actually it is certified for output of 1.4 watts on VHF and 1.49 watts on UHF. Most of you won't even consider purchasing Chinese knockoff lights, why would you even consider Chinese knockoff radios? Even I, a lowly REACTer, use the best quality radios I can afford. In my case, I use Kenwood TK-390's which are public service quality.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
GaryErrol said:
Using your statement above, I should be able to conclude that I can purchase a red light and siren to install and use on my personal vehicle. Or that I can purchase and legally use blue lights on my front license plate, windshield wipers, etc... I can easily enough find a seller who would gladly sell me all of these items. Since I can buy them, they must be legal to use!

Has anyone even checked out the actual FCC certification for this radio. I did the other day. They may be advertising the radio at 2 watts but actually it is certified for output of 1.4 watts on VHF and 1.49 watts on UHF. Most of you won't even consider purchasing Chinese knockoff lights, why would you even consider Chinese knockoff radios? Even I, a lowly REACTer, use the best quality radios I can afford. In my case, I use Kenwood TK-390's which are public service quality.

Your not using my statement above because.

1. im not talking about lights and sirens.

2. this isnt even the warning equipment discussion thread

3. the above user was saying the use of field programmable radios is illegal (maybe i should tell my ema director that.... :bonk: )

4. like everything else in the world the end user is responsible for his or her own actions.

the radio states it's "rated" at 2 watts. it doesnt say " we guarantee 2 watts or your money back.

its a $30 frickin dollar chineese radio.

Are you a HAM or do you just have your GRMS licensce?

if your not a HAM then "legaly" you cant own one of these anyways. but that goes back to #4 above.

back to the discussion of a cheap radio please as this is what this thread is about

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Jarred J. said:
Your not using my statement above because.

1. im not talking about lights and sirens.

2. this isnt even the warning equipment discussion thread

3. the above user was saying the use of field programmable radios is illegal (maybe i should tell my ema director that.... :bonk: )

4. like everything else in the world the end user is responsible for his or her own actions.

the radio states it's "rated" at 2 watts. it doesnt say " we guarantee 2 watts or your money back.

its a $30 frickin dollar chineese radio.

Are you a HAM or do you just have your GRMS licensce?

if your not a HAM then "legaly" you cant own one of these anyways. but that goes back to #4 above.

back to the discussion of a cheap radio please as this is what this thread is about

Hold on, what are you in an uproar about? And why can't I use the comparison of cheap Chinese lights to cheap Chinese radios. If you want to purchase cheap crap that is advertised to be something it can't produce for an FCC certification, by all means be my guest.

As far as whether I have a GMRS license only, yes that is correct. However I don't see how that has any bearing on whether I can purchase this radio, or any other radio. I know of no law that says I can't purchase and/or own this radio. The only thing I can't legally do is transmit on this radio as it is Part 90 certified, not Part 95.

As far as to power output, several were saying that 2 watts output was not enough power. I was simply pointing out that this radio didn't even put out the advertised 2 watts. If a toy radio with toy output power is good enough for you, great.

Last comment, regarding field programming. Maybe your EMA director has a higher class FCC license that allows him to use field programmable radios. Again, I don't know but I suspect you don't either. All I said was just because you can purchase something, that doesn't make it legal to use.

Ok, now I'm through, you do what you want, just as I would, so will you. However you can't tell someone you didn't know or someone didn't try to warn you when/if the radio isn't what you expected. Me, I'll continue to purchase quality used radios that have proven quality!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
im not in an uproar.. :haha:

public safety personnel dont have radio licensces unless they own the repeater.

comparing radios to lights is comparing apples to oranges.

I dont currently own one (yet) and was going to get my GF if she passed her test last week. Which she didnt. (it would be good for her because the actuality of her using it would be for her "emergencies lol)

Most radio parts are made overseas, but so are most warning light parts. Like i stated before its a cheapo $30 radio (did you not see that part?)

I use my wouxon for 90% of my transmissions till i get my mobile Icom installed.

and thats my last 2 cents in regards to non discussion of the original topic.

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
I bought one of these radios and I love it. The only thing I don't like is the scan. It has 99 channels and if you program all 99 all 99 gets scanned. other than that I love it. Its a tough little radio. Used it on a first response call yesterday. the repeater is in our coverage area. Good little radio. Already have dropped the dang thing 5 or 6 times now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.