New Ambulance for my work.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Here is our brand new Horton for my full time job. 2014 E-450 Gas Horton. All Whelen M-Series lighting. We wanted to stick with a full lightbar for better intersection coverage. Flash patterns were specified by the company. I wanted a single flash set-up, the ambulance captain liked the double flash. Sorry for my vertices video. For some reason, YouTube made it this way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Horton synchs the lights using their multiplexing system, which is nice.  The fast double flash is pretty nice actually.  They usually have an auto park kill on them too that shuts off some lights.  Looks pretty sharp.

Reactions: Doug and ff168577

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Are you a full time EMT or medic for a volunteer fire co? I've noticed a trend with fire districts towards hiring a few EMS personnel to cover calls or provide ALS capabilities to VFDs.

I love Horton ambulances but I hate the patterns chosen. I also would've had all the upper perimeter lights flash simultaneously, and I would've chosen a rear flash pattern that didn't look like the random, scattering warning pattern you see on whelen TAs. I also would not have mounted air horns directly on top of the cab; personally I would've mounted the lightbar on the roof and mounted the airhorns from the front of the box.

Why gas instead of diesel?

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Are you a full time EMT or medic for a volunteer fire co? I've noticed a trend with fire districts towards hiring a few EMS personnel to cover calls or provide ALS capabilities to VFDs.

I love Horton ambulances but I hate the patterns chosen. I also would've had all the upper perimeter lights flash simultaneously, and I would've chosen a rear flash pattern that didn't look like the random, scattering warning pattern you see on whelen TAs. I also would not have mounted air horns directly on top of the cab; personally I would've mounted the lightbar on the roof and mounted the airhorns from the front of the box.

Why gas instead of diesel?
Ford doesn't make a diesel van. The chief wanted nothing else but a ford. I am a full-time FF/EMT. They have had dual functioning employees (FF/EMT) to supplement the volunteers especially during the day.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Ford doesn't make a diesel van. The chief wanted nothing else but a ford. I am a full-time FF/EMT. They have had dual functioning employees (FF/EMT) to supplement the volunteers especially during the day.
When did they stop offering the E350 in diesel?

Nice type III by the way.

Would have mounted those horns through the bumper though. Like the dbl flash.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Agreed, it's a nice rig. I also would have preferred the lightbar on the roof for aerodynamics and the airhorns through the bumper to put the sound up front and not in the cab. Even so, it's always nice to get new. :)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Odessa Fire/Rescue bought Horton Type IIIs a few years ago on the Chevy HD chassis, and they're all diesel.  These have a shorter box, so it cramps their now-four-men crews a bit.  Interesting tid-bit,  all of their ambulances have both Whelen electronic sirens plus the Screamin' Eagle sirens mounted into the front bumper.

Their newer ambulances are the big Braun International rigs that have crew cabs to better accommodate their four-man crew.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.