New delta based LED rotator bar?

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Jarred J. said:
i like how every time a new light i s posted here, we mysteriously get new membership.

station 3 we do have a whelen person here. "Insider" if i remeber right

i think he sweeps the floors..... lol

I think you are thinking of "outsider"

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
is the bar in that video based off of the DELTA platform? With LED rotators ?

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Storm4200 said:
is the bar in that video based off of the DELTA platform? With LED rotators ?

That's what it appears to be. This is terrific news, and a logical progression of the Delta platform for Whelen. I believe the halogen version had offset rotators, which I'm assuming carries over to the rotating LED version.

Well done, Whelen!

Jesse Volanti

Sep 27, 2011
USA California
Whelen Lagacy Lightbar is a slim line lightbar not a rotating bar, they are not making rotating lightbars any more just there strobe line and Halogen line which is very limited. Like the RB6 beacon line or a Guardian mini Bar. But you never know in the future what Whelen has up there sleeve. By the way I thought the Delta was way better than the MX 7000 & Vista even if it was short lived. Ahhh the good ol days :)

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Glad I saw it pre - this thread!

It was pretty epic. Just sayin'.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
Jesse Volanti said:
Whelen Lagacy Lightbar is a slim line lightbar not a rotating bar, they are not making rotating lightbars any more just there strobe line and Halogen line which is very limited. Like the RB6 beacon line or a Guardian mini Bar. But you never know in the future what Whelen has up there sleeve. By the way I thought the Delta was way better than the MX 7000 & Vista even if it was short lived. Ahhh the good ol days :)

I have a NOS delta in my collection is beats out my mx and vista with its sharp popping flashes

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
I've got a NOS delta as well, and if/when that bar hits the market i maybe headed that way. I love the halogen rotator style bars and the way the beams are sent out. I'm anxious to see what this really is..

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I wasn't really impressed by what I saw of it. The video showed a Delta-shaped bar on a Chevy pickup in a dark garage. Only two lights were flashing: on the passenger's side, a quick LED rotating thing, maybe 200 FPM, and on the driver's side, a slow one, maybe 75 FPM. The one on the passenger side looked pretty impressive, but the one on the driver's side was slow enough that I got a better idea of how the light worked. It had a very long "on" time, much longer than any decent light involving real moving parts would have, and it seemed like it was just a bunch of stationary LEDs flashing in a rotating pattern.

...But it wasn't a particularly good quality video, and there wasn't any close-up shot, so there's still plenty of hope that if it's a real thing (which it might not be) it'll be a legit Whelen competitor for the Vision SLR.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
nerdly_dood said:
I wasn't really impressed by what I saw of it. The video showed a Delta-shaped bar on a Chevy pickup in a dark garage. Only two lights were flashing: on the passenger's side, a quick LED rotating thing, maybe 200 FPM, and on the driver's side, a slow one, maybe 75 FPM. The one on the passenger side looked pretty impressive, but the one on the driver's side was slow enough that I got a better idea of how the light worked. It had a very long "on" time, much longer than any decent light involving real moving parts would have, and it seemed like it was just a bunch of stationary LEDs flashing in a rotating pattern.

...But it wasn't a particularly good quality video, and there wasn't any close-up shot, so there's still plenty of hope that if it's a real thing (which it might not be) it'll be a legit Whelen competitor for the Vision SLR.

It must've been REALLY dark for you ... that's a Ford F-150, not a Chevy Silverado!

If you had the opportunity to view this video full-sized, it seems pretty evident that the lightbar is the Delta platform. Regarding the upper-deck lightheads, it does appear to be actual rotators--not simulated rotators. Taking into account the "pop" factor as observed on the walls, Whelen definitely nailed this feature. We'll know what it is for sure next week. I imagine that 500 Series options are still available for the lower deck, probably the same modules available in the Liberty.

I don't know if I'd consider this product to be a direct competitor to the Vision SLR, as there is no way it can truly compete with the off-axis features of either that or the Valor. Federal Signal does not have to worry about that. However, I do believe Whelen did preempt FedSig in the latter being late (if it's planned) in offering their SLR technology in linear bars. The other thing that comes to mind is cost. The Vision SLR is very expensive. If Whelen's new bar costs less, that'll be a huge plus.

This will definitely be an exciting show for the lighting afficionadoes. Has anyone have any idea about the three lightbars Code 3 is presenting? I haven't heard a pip from FedSig ... anything coming from them?

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
nerdly_dood said:

Looking at the wall, it appeared to me that it was actually a rotating LED module, versus a stationary module with a flash pattern that emulated a rotator.

Jesse Volanti

Sep 27, 2011
USA California
It was playing just fine until he took down the video since Whelen said to me there is no LED rotator in the works at all he might have put led lamps like the H 1 LED base lamp this bar, Whelen Delta has been discontinued since 2009. I know if you still or own one of your own try the H 1 LED and see if it has the same effect if it does than use it.

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
If you think about it, Why would whelen say anything about it to hardly anyone if they were going to reveal a rotating LED bar? I still think whelen's up to something, and the legacy thing was kind of and intentional leak to stir up interest and pull the focus back to whelen. It is a pretty good marketing idea. Granted that last video did not really have any "official" whelen ties (ie released by whelen) other than the business being a whelen dealer (not saying the business is doing anything wrong or fraudulent) It could be a custom job but, who knows.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Kevin K. said:
It must've been REALLY dark for you ... that's a Ford F-150, not a Chevy Silverado!
Oh. :D Well the truck isn't the point anyway...

Fdtruckie

May 24, 2010
New York U.S.A.
I did see a new Whelen Lightbar in person today,however it did not say Legacy on it. This new lightbar is on a Delta Platform.They were no moving parts as far as rotors go.However i did notice the top level had installed what appeared to be 4 LED Beacons that were offset and one in the middle with flat mirrors. Each beacon contained about 10 vertical mounted TIR3's. The bottom level had 500 series filling every position. This thing probably is gonna cost of fortune.I guess we will have to wait and see.

v

mel

Jan 20, 2012
USA NE OHIO
Fdtruckie said:
I did see a new Whelen Lightbar in person today,however it did not say Legacy on it. This new lightbar is on a Delta Platform.They were no moving parts as far as rotors go.However i did notice the top level had installed what appeared to be 4 LED Beacons that were offset and one in the middle with flat mirrors. Each beacon contained about 10 vertical mounted TIR3's. The bottom level had 500 series filling every position. This thing probably is gonna cost of fortune.I guess we will have to wait and see.
v

And you didn't take a video ?

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
That's about as legacy as a bar gets these days. Maybe they got the names mixed up.

Simulated rotating patterns ? Really? Guess I'll have to wait for some vids from IACP, or see it in person at Copswest.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I love the Delta, but that just doesnt do it for me. Almost looks like a frankenbar. I'd take a Delta with 700 series linears in the upper over that - simulated rotator pattern or not.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
yay. something star did almost 15 years ago...

kinda like a generation 3 version of the old star led beacons, remember the cylinder of gen2 LEDs? they were awful. they had them in the rf series beacon and the 9200

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
What's the point of the upper level of warning? Just the lower section puts out more warning power than a Liberty.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.