New engine for my volly dept

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
This is a new-to-us Spartan engine, our first "REAL" fire truck and not a conversion. You may remember this thread. That new truck is one of three that replaced the truck we got.

Hopefully soon that Aerodynic will get replaced with a Freedom and the other various strobes will get replaced with LEDs as well. Some of the rear and side warning are Gen 1 LEDs.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l41_Pimpala03_2011_04_12_19_07_24_316.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0271464979848_515604847_9477710_5522641_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0262888504848_515604847_9406289_4768493_n.jpg

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
That is alot of engine! Looks like your missing an air horn & someone did a hack job installing the siren speakers. Also you need a B&M on that bumper deck imo. After those few things then I would start upgrading the lighting. Truck is pretty mean looking & I love the simple but different paint scheme.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Squad-6 said:
Also you need a B&M on that bumper deck imo.

Yeah, if you absolutely have to have a mechanical siren, B&M is the way to go. A B&M sounds way better than a Federal Q.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
Nice truck pimp....Hope u guys get it decked out the way u want.let us know when u get it done... :thumbsup:

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
2300 water, 200 foam.

Front bumper only has a compartment. Perfect for the ice chest with water in it.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I have seen the a cooler in the front bumper before but not before looking around scratching my head trying to find it.

So are you guys using this Tanker-Engine as a first out truck? Seems like alot of truck for all first due jobs especially MVCs & medicals

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
No, We have other trucks, including a mini pumper 4x4 which is usually the first out on most things.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Pimp said:
This is a new-to-us Spartan engine, our first "REAL" fire truck and not a conversion.

What you mean is that the fire engine builder used a custom cab (in this case, a Spartan cab), not a commercial truck chassis and cab.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Wailer said:
What you mean is that the fire engine builder used a custom cab (in this case, a Spartan cab), not a commercial truck chassis and cab.

No, what I mean is... this is our very first truck that began life as a fire truck, and not a Blue Bell Ice Cream truck, gasoline tanker, etc etc. I just mean it's much more of a real truck that any truck we've ever had before - and we welcome it with open arms!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Pimp said:
No, what I mean is... this is our very first truck that began life as a fire truck, and not a Blue Bell Ice Cream truck, gasoline tanker, etc etc. I just mean it's much more of a real truck that any truck we've ever had before - and we welcome it with open arms!

Do volunteer departments actually buy retired trucks and convert them to fire engines? I always thought they bought new or used trucks that started life as fire engines.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
The trucks we've got before were usually converted by an "Apparatus Manufacturer", not by the fire department members. Our trucks are typically long worn out before they are ever converted to fire trucks. We have two tankers that were originally Blue Bell Ice Cream trucks. We were driving one of them one day and a clutch fell down from under the dash. Mind you - these trucks were automatics. That's the kind of quality of trucks we are used to. That's why I'm saying - it's nice to have a real fire truck and not something that is jerry-rigged to halfway be a fire truck.

This is also the first truck for us that has more than two doors and seating for a crew.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Congrats Pimp! Love seeing volly departments get better equipment. Wish my chief would go for a custom... he's stuck on commercial cabs. That is a huge engine though... how big is your station?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I like it just the way it is. The Aerodynic is fine and provides good warning. If anything, I'd add a mechanical siren to the front bumper. Congrats on getting a "real" fire apparatus. :thumbsup:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
stansdds said:
I like it just the way it is. The Aerodynic is fine and provides good warning. If anything, I'd add a mechanical siren to the front bumper. Congrats on getting a "real" fire apparatus. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Halogen warning is more effective than people often think. And no fire truck is complete without a real mechanical siren either!

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
I'll agree with keeping the Aerodynic, but only if it got new lenses put on it or those wet sanded and polished. When lenses start looking like those do more light stays in than gets out.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
nerdly_dood said:
And no fire truck is complete without a real mechanical siren either!

An antique fire engine, yes. A modern fire engine, no.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Yes, blasphemy it is! Nothing says "fire truck coming through, get out of the way" like a mechanical siren.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Different call types require different vehicles. You must understand, we are a very rural community and the above pictured rig may not even make it in the driveway of some calls. We are just getting the rig officially in service (it may not even quite be YET) but I will assume that this will be one of the first to roll on a structure fire.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I think like 40 pimp pods should just about do it for the install lol

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
I may get flamed for necroing an old thread, but I'd like a pic update on this rig. I want to see how it turned out, if anything was ever done to it that is. :undecided:

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Lightbarnut said:
I may get flamed for necroing an old thread, but I'd like a pic update on this rig. I want to see how it turned out, if anything was ever done to it that is. :undecided:
:goodpost:

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
About the only thing that has changed is our department's name was added above the blue FIRE DEPT on the front doors and it's unit number was placed on the body. Sorry to disappoint guys, but we don't really have the budget to buy a truck, fully equip it, REPAINT it, and totally outfit with LEDs all at the same time. Slowly but surely!

Shep0968

May 21, 2012
SC
Nice.... It will def look newer if and when the lights is changed over to LEDS.... But either way def a decent rig!!

Merch

Dec 18, 2011
Pennsylvania
Lights are nice, but by all means properly outfit it with the correct tools prior to worrying about lighting/sirens/etc.

Glad to see an agency get something that it truly needs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.