New Federal Signal Valor LED lightbar

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
jxndeputy said:
Rumor has it that Federal is coming out with a new lightbar that is supposed to do the exact same thing as the valor, with the exception of the shape. Supposed to be shaped like a regular lightbar, thank goodness. hehe.

This lightbar does not have a name yet. The Legend will continue as is, competing with the Liberty Series. This new bar is meant to compete with the Legacy, and is being field tested now.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Instead of yet another fullsize LED bar, Federal should come out with a 4-color Highlighter with a simple interior controller so folks could play police impersonator - fire/EMS vollie - roadside assist whacker/plowman - and have a scene light. Would be awesome, they'd make a fortoona.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Kevin K. said:
This lightbar does not have a name yet. The Legend will continue as is, competing with the Liberty Series. This new bar is meant to compete with the Legacy, and is being field tested now.

Too bad the Legend CAN'T compete with the Liberty series....lol

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Quentin said:
Agree

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Apparently neither of you have ever had to service a Legend bar...or perhaps want to add another color to a Legend...or had to depend on a Legend for 10 years. If a module goes out on a Legend (which it most certainly will) the bar needs to be taken out of service to have one of the 3 boards sent out to be repaired or replaced. This is 1/3 of the light bar. We are still mounting SL passive Liberties with lens rehabs for departments that have never been serviced. Ever. Well...maybe a halogen or 2 in 10+ years. 2 of the 3 legends on display are busted. There is no contest. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. This one just doesn't make any sense..The Liberty is CLEARLY the best overall, most cost effective, serviceable, customizable light bar ever offered by anyone. Ever. The Legend is 5% brighter head on...who the hell cares these days??

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I had a Legend's interface module go to hell on me. It was maybe a week after I bought the bar brand new? I had sold it to someone 3 hours away & he couldn't get the bar to work & wasn't too thrilled. I had to go pick up the bar & module since I didn't know what the problem was, borrow an interface to confirm that was the problem, send it back to FS THEN drop the bar & module back off to the customer.

It's a nice looking bar but I really don't like the interface ...more junk to go wrong.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
emtanderson51 said:
Apparently neither of you have ever had to service a Legend bar...

Yeah, I only have about 3000 of them in the field. What would I know?

Yes, we've had failures (with nearly 3000 in the field, that's to be expected), but the % rate is very low. FYI that customer was going to go with Liberty bars 5 years ago, but 50% of the test bars leaked badly enough that they failed. Those were brand new Liberty bars, installed by the big Whelen dealer here. A factory rep came up from Whelen and told the customer that they had never seen a Liberty leak before.

The failures in the field that have occurred with the Legend are easily repaired. The part # is right on the board, and anyone with a screwdriver and a socket set can change it in 10 minutes. I've had gas station techs in the far north change these boards with no issues. The field serviceability of the bar is excellent. Much better than sliding a pile of lenses out to get to the module you want, then reassembling them, making sure you don't fold or pinch a gasket, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
leftcoastmark said:

Yes, we've had failures (with nearly 3000 in the field, that's to be expected), but the % rate is very low. FYI that customer was going to go with Liberty bars 5 years ago, but 50% of the test bars leaked badly enough that they failed. Those were brand new Liberty bars, installed by the big Whelen dealer here. A factory rep came up from Whelen and told the customer that they had never seen a Liberty leak before.

The failures in the field that have occurred with the Legend are easily repaired. The part # is right on the board, and anyone with a screwdriver and a socket set can change it in 10 minutes. I've had gas station techs in the far north change these boards with no issues. The field serviceability of the bar is excellent. Much better than sliding a pile of lenses out to get to the module you want, then reassembling them, making sure you don't fold or pinch a gasket, etc.

^ This...

None of the 1st generation Legends (5 years old) we have, have had problems until this week... And it is only one. I called the rep, they asked for the numbers on the boards, and said they would be ordered. For the other 30 or so newer bars we have, again no problems. But when there is a problem, I would much rather remove 6 screws and have the whole thing replaced in less than 10 minutes vs dealing with removing all the lenses and gaskets and then dealing with 10,000 wires running through a bar.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
leftcoastmark said:

Holy crap...3000 bars. That is amazing. I doubt we have sold more than 1500 of them since inception. I can tell you this though...we are still re-mounting 2004 Liberty bars and many of them still have the original halogens in them. We have no recorded failures due to leakage in the bars which leads me to believe the installer messed those bars up badly. Possibly a bad lot as well though I doubt it. There were some problems with the super LED heads in the beginning where the solder dried out and the LEDs literally fell off of the board. This was quickly fixed and wasn't in the last 8 years. As far as servicing the bars.....pop in a module and you are done..no need to replace a third of the bar. I have owned both, sold both and worked on both. I personally choose the Liberty as the best all around light bar on the market...ever. This is however, MY opinion. I will sell you whatever you want to buy with a smile! :cool:

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
I like the Valor! ...but nighttime-videos are not the way to prove the effectiveness of any lightbar: most bars looks impressive during the night. Daytime-videos are the way to go!

However; this video does show one thing very well: different colors should alternate, not flash simultaneously! Blinding purple blur og briliant flashes of red and blue......

Emergency Sight & Sound said:
We are rolling there out over here in Oz and the clients are blown away.

Aug 19, 2012
Australia
You are correct Runesson that daytime videos really show off what the Valor can do... (also need to convince Blake to get a better camera as a GoPro really can't handle it haha)

runesson said:
I like the Valor! ...but nighttime-videos are not the way to prove the effectiveness of any lightbar: most bars looks impressive during the night. Daytime-videos are the way to go!

However; this video does show one thing very well: different colors should alternate, not flash simultaneously! Blinding purple blur og briliant flashes of red and blue......

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
jxndeputy said:
Rumor has it that Federal is coming out with a new lightbar that is supposed to do the exact same thing as the valor, with the exception of the shape. Supposed to be shaped like a regular lightbar, thank goodness. hehe.

Its a really nice bar

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Just saw one of these in person for the first time today around 10ish in Florence, Ky with the sun behind it and still saw it from over a mile away. Really nice bar. If I could afford the 2 grand to get one I'd have one on my pov. It was bright enough that as I was driving, on a 4 lane interstate, I had to look away.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.