NEW IDEAS - 2001 Ford Ranger fire/EMS/fire police POV

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
Haw don't work well in a Ranger IMHO. I've tried the front side markers and it's to tight and will melt. And in the headlights area the driving light wash them out.

Best thing I found was a hlf and tlf for my Ranger.

Sent From My HTC EVO 3D On Sprint The Now Network.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Eh, I've installed Fairys in headlights before, and it seems that not even high beams totally wash them out. These Fairys are brighter than a lot of competitors.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
108FP1 said:
Eh, I've installed Fairys in headlights before, and it seems that not even high beams totally wash them out. These Fairys are brighter than a lot of competitors.

I was meaning strobe haw's. And I never heard LED haw being brighter then strobe haw.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Who makes a good, cost-effective LED traffic director? I need one that has the flash configurations integrated IE - 1 wire for left, 1 wire for right, 1 wire for warning, 1 wire for split. I'll be controlling it with the Olympian.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
Whelen has one kinda like that. Power one wire for left the other for right and power both is center out and I think there is a warning wire. From what I can remember from there install manuals.

firefighter31

Sep 16, 2011
Missouri
check out StrobesNmore they have their E66 series light that can be wired to do traffic arrows. Gen3 led's, sae rated, and cheaper then whelen. :thumbsup:

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
When I can afford them, as I am just now changing jobs again. I'll be getting the TD first though. Earlier this evening, I narrowed the Ohio River Blvd down from 5 lanes to 2 at a vehicle vs. pedestrian accident, using only cones and a couple of signs/flares. When I first arrived, one cop was trying to do it alone with his patrol truck parked in the center lane, and him flagging traffic over with a flashlight. Did I mention he was not wearing any type of bright clothing at all, it was pouring rain, and the sun had been down for a tiny bit? No wonder the highway accident factor for cops isn't going down.

firefighter31

Sep 16, 2011
Missouri
108FP1 said:
When I can afford them, as I am just now changing jobs again. I'll be getting the TD first though. Earlier this evening, I narrowed the Ohio River Blvd down from 5 lanes to 2 at a vehicle vs. pedestrian accident, using only cones and a couple of signs/flares. When I first arrived, one cop was trying to do it alone with his patrol truck parked in the center lane, and him flagging traffic over with a flashlight. Did I mention he was not wearing any type of bright clothing at all, it was pouring rain, and the sun had been down for a tiny bit? No wonder the highway accident factor for cops isn't going down.

some people wont pay attention no matter what. I almost got ran over directing traffic in my bunker gear with a dot compliant vest on a two lane farm road. The experience was quite scary!!! :hissyfit:

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
108FP1 said:

Obviously traffic control should be left to the true professionals such as yourself.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Damn straight. 100' cone course to narrow traffic down into two lanes, followed by a 75' cone course to narrow traffic down into 1 lane, complete with merge signs on the cones, flares lighting the sign cones, and a warning sign 300' up the road from the wreck. I've already told the other VFFs that if I have to come to their funeral because they thought ANSI vests "looked gay", I would punch their corpse in front of their own mother.

Certified, fortified, bonafide. FP REPRESENT!!!!

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
108FP1 said:
Damn straight. 100' cone course to narrow traffic down into two lanes, followed by a 75' cone course to narrow traffic down into 1 lane, complete with merge signs on the cones, flares lighting the sign cones, and a warning sign 300' up the road from the wreck. I've already told the other VFFs that if I have to come to their funeral because they thought ANSI vests "looked gay", I would punch their corpse in front of their own mother.

Certified, fortified, bonafide. FP REPRESENT!!!!

How the rest of the country outside the select few northeast states who entertain the Fire Police concept get by without it will always be a mystery. How DO they do it?

Az_Medic

Mar 30, 2011
US AZ
Hey nice looking truck from the start to now. I would say go for those L boxes near the rear of the bed, but I would also look for a larger box that would sit near the roll bar to put uncommonly used items in. That way your not crowding your own space in your truck. I would look for just a slimmer lightbar like the excalibur an that might actually look good mounted on the roll bar. If I was up there I would stick with the halogen or strobe model lights because you don't know when your gonna get promoted! Hope ya do!

A camper shell would had been good for this truck as well. Not the fiberglass kind but the metal work truck type that you could had two compartments on the sides for storing misc stuff, and you could had put a TA mounted on the back. That way all your stuff stayed dry during the winter. I would consider looking into those collapsible barricades and LED banner arrow if your serious into fire police (makes job alot easier). I'm talking about the ones that look like >>> but led's are embedded into the actual arrow and graduate.

Lookin Good!

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
\ said:
How the rest of the country outside the select few northeast states who entertain the Fire Police concept get by without it will always be a mystery. How DO they do it?

A few different ways. Many places have firefighters themselves do it, a good deal of Southern and Mid-Atlantic states have motorists assist, traffic engineering, roadside response, and other assorted services do it. Some places still use DPW, DPU, road crew, or DOT crews do it. I can sense the snark in your comments, and I really could care less. I would say that every region has people specifically trained to deal with traffic engineering, and in PA and some areas of NY, NJ, and one town in VA, that falls to the Fire Police.

One thing is certain. The highway traffic deaths for public safety professionals has been rising steadily over the past 6 years. While fire & EMS has embraced the ANSI standards, and the incidents for those services are actually dropping, the police have not had the same epiphany. Police roadway traffic deaths are spiking, mostly due to a refusal to wear any form of ANSI vi-viz gear when conducting roadway operations. A policeman is five times more likely to be struck by a vehicle than any other public safety professional.

I'll say this again, just to get the point across to the police on this board: A policeman is five times more likely to be struck by a vehicle than any other public safety professional.

AZ Medic - I have the rollout LED arrow pads. They are nice. I'm steadily buiding my array of traffic control devices.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Update time. Picked up a good condition SVP Hotshot II with the new style lens from a guy at work for $10. Will be acquiring an amber one, and will be mounting both of them on top of the side stringers for my rollbar. The Hotshots are slow-speed rotators, which should balance out my fast-rotating MX7K pretty well. I'm also considering the purchase of some Fairys for the headlights, and the LED traffic arrow is still in the picture, and is going across the rear of the top bar of my rollbar.

This is all moving along quite nicely.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Nah, been really really busy. I dropped the idea of the Hotshots, and just gave the one I have to my girlfriend. I did pick up a pair of blue Star DLXT lights, and they are now on the grille.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
I'll get them eventually. I'm still pending the purchase of some more LEDs for the back of the truck. Currently dealing with 90+ hours a week of jobs, voluteering at the fire department, and prepping for medic class. Other than installing the DLXTs, I haven't touched a wire in a month. :crazy:

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
"" The Fairys under the mirrors sound like a great idea. This concept has been getting very popular lately. I think it's a great covert way to mount them! ""

I'd like the see a pic of this if anyone has one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.