New Jersey EMT updates any one know what they are?

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Does anyone know the new things that NJ EMTs will be learning? I have been hearing a lot of different things from people and i figure that since it is rolling out in January that the pretty much have it set in stone what is going to be taught. The class is going up to 250 or so hours from 120. So a lot of stuff is going to be taught.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Found this, from what I remember from when I was introduced to this system while talking to an instructor, sounds like this is the plan...

EMT First Responder

EMT Basic

EMT Advanced

EMT Paramedic

National EMS Education Standards

Level A

The entry level A provider must be able to recognize and provide immediate, life saving interventions for a patient with a respiratory emergency.

The entry level First Responder must be able to:

Identify and recognize and provide immediate, life saving interventions for the following respiratory emergencies:

a. Respiratory arrest

b. Respiratory distress

Recognize and value the assessment and treatment of patients with respiratory diseases.

Demonstrate safe, effective, and proper

a. Mouth to mask ventilation

Level B

The entry level B provider must be able to recognize and implement the treatment plan for the patient with a respiratory emergency.

The entry level B provider must be able to perform all the objectives of the A provider, plus:

Identify and describe the function of the structures located in the upper and lower airway.

Discuss the physiology of ventilation and respiration.

Discuss abnormal assessment findings associated with respiratory emergencies.

Review the use of equipment used during the physical examination of patients with respiratory emergencies.

Identify and implement a treatment plan for respiratory emergencies:

a. Respiratory failure

b. Exacerbated Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases

c. Hyperventilation syndrome

Recognize and value the assessment and treatment of patients with respiratory diseases.

b. Supplemental Oxygen Therapy

c. Bag-Valve-Ventilation

d. ATV

e. Assisted inhaled beta agonists

Safely assist patients in taking their own prescribed medication during a respiratory emergency.

Level C

The entry level C provider must be able to apply assessment findings and implement the treatment plan for the patient with respiratory emergencies.

The entry level C provider must be able to perform all of the objectives of a B provider, plus:

Identify and describe the function of the structures located in the upper and lower airway.

Identify common pathological events that affect the pulmonary system.

Discuss abnormal assessment findings associated with respiratory emergencies.

Compare various airway and ventilation techniques used in the management of respiratory emergencies.

Review the use of equipment used during the physical examination of patients with complaints associated with respiratory diseases and conditions.

Identify the pathophysiology, assessment findings, and management for the following respiratory diseases and conditions:

a. Adult respiratory distress syndrome

b. Bronchial asthma

c. Chronic bronchitis

d. Emphysema

e. Hyperventilation syndrome

Indicate appreciation for the critical nature of accurate field impressions of patients with respiratory diseases and conditions.

c. Bag-Valve-Ventilation

d. ATV

e. Endotracheal intubation

Safely administer pharmacological agents used in the management of respiratory emergencies.

Level D

The entry level D provider must be able to integrate pathophysiological principles and assessment findings to formulate a field impression and implement the treatment plan for the patient with respiratory problems.

The entry level D provider must be able to perform all of the objectives of a level C provider, plus:

Identify common pathological events that affect the pulmonary system.

Discuss abnormal assessment findings associated with pulmonary diseases and conditions.

Compare various airway and ventilation techniques used in the management of pulmonary diseases.

Review the use of equipment used during the physical examination of patients with complaints associated with respiratory diseases and conditions.

Identify the epidemiology, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, assessment findings, and management for the following respiratory diseases and conditions:

a. Adult respiratory distress syndrome

b. Bronchial asthma

c. Chronic bronchitis

d. Emphysema

e. Pneumonia

f. Pulmonary edema

g. Pulmonary thromboembolism

h. Neoplasms of the lung

i. Upper respiratory infections

j. Spontaneous pneumothorax

k. Hyperventilation syndrome

Indicate appreciation for the critical nature of accurate field impressions of patients with respiratory diseases and conditions.

Demonstrate safe, effective, and proper:

c. Bag-Valve-Ventilation

d. ATV

e. Endotracheal intubation

f. CPAP

g. BiPAP

Safely administer pharmacological agents used in the management of respiratory patients.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Thanks but is that for NJ because NJ does not have a first responder level nor does it have a level between Basic and Paramedic. And NJ is not adding any new levels just sticking to EMT and Paramedic. I am looking for what are the new protocals are going to be. What if any new equiptment will be added, what will be taken away stuff like that.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I know at some point they are going to the National Standard, I thought this was the update but I guess that's not coming yet. I'll see if I can find any info for you.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Ok finally NJ is getting in line with the rest of the nation with EMT standards.

Lazzati

May 22, 2010
Salem County NJ
new jersey is making the emt students do 12 hours of paramedic ride along 12 bls and 12 hours of hospital time. long with more advanced hazmat and terror awareness.

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just get the latest edition "Brady" or "American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons" (AAOS) books and it will lay out exactly the curriculum you will be responsible to know for both the pratical and written exams. Both new editions should outline the latest CPR protocols as well.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Sorry for the resurrection, but it's the first NJ EMS thread I noticed. I'm trying to get BLS reciprocity for NJ, I'm currently certified in CT and NY. How do I go about getting the paperwork? The OEMS website could not possibly be more confusing, and:eek:no one answered the phone.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
The EMT Class is becoming standardized throughout the state, now I know Bergen County's program is 300hrs, where places in Monmouth County are around 130-150. It's supposed to be between 180-200hrs now.

Class will have more ICS, Hazmat/CBRNE, PHTLS courses within. Also EMT's are now being re-trained on tourniquets (NJ used to have it at the very last step of bleeding control where its now Step 2), Aspirin Administration/Assistance for Chest Pain, Epi-Pen administration, and rumors of adding King Airway and similiar setups for BLS use. Whats happening is that NJ is finally coming equal to the NREMT-B guidelines.

COMMTECH

Jun 30, 2010
NEW JERSEY, USA
1-9-12 1500 HOURS EST

REGARDING THE NJSDOH-OEMS EMT PROGRAM

Hi all-Had to correct the rumors and misinformation I just read, since I am a NJSDOH OEMS instructor in Bergen County.

First of all, NJ, in order to keep receiving all of its millions of dollars in Federal DOT highway traffic safety funds, had to initiate and implement the National Standard Education program for its EMT and Paramedic programs.

Second, last January,2010, our site, along with three others in the state, ran the first beta programs during that Spring 2011 semester. The number of hours for each site did vary slightly. Third, all 543 instructors underwent a series of three training programs in order to keep everyone on the "same page" and were given a full day training seminar by the NAEMSE Training staff over the summer which covered the new National Standard Curriculum. At no time did our program in Bergen ever go 300 hours!! The agreed upon number of hours for the "finalized" new program is approximately 250 hours, which includes 10 hours of riding time which can be done at the student's squad/corps. on actual calls/care or if the hospital at which they are doing their ETD time allows, they may do ride-alongs with the ALS unit therein.

As far as what's new, the aspirin protocol was, last I heard, on the desk of the NJ Commissioner of Health, awaiting signature.

Some of the other new skills include the assembly/setup of CPAP for implementation by ALS while on a call, use of the one handed tourniquet for control of bleeding, and additional practice time for many of the skills. In addition, the assessment portion of the course is revised from the EMT-B method and is more like the method learned in the EMT-A programs which many of us were trained with.

Finally, NJ does indeed have a First Responder Program, some of which has been updated to correlate with the new National Standard EMT program. EMT Refresher courses are currently being revised by OEMS.

Hopefully that clears up most of the mystery!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
EMT-BLS said:
Sorry for the resurrection, but it's the first NJ EMS thread I noticed. I'm trying to get BLS reciprocity for NJ, I'm currently certified in CT and NY. How do I go about getting the paperwork? The OEMS website could not possibly be more confusing, and:eek:no one answered the phone.
The OEMS website is being moved to another location. It is going to now have a library and useful information and training records. It should be done in a month or so. They hate when you call them haha. :bonk:

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
COMMTECH said:
1-9-12 1500 HOURS EST
REGARDING THE NJSDOH-OEMS EMT PROGRAM

As far as what's new, the aspirin protocol was, last I heard, on the desk of the NJ Commissioner of Health, awaiting signature.

Some of the other new skills include the assembly/setup of CPAP for implementation by ALS while on a call, use of the one handed tourniquet for control of bleeding, and additional practice time for many of the skills. In addition, the assessment portion of the course is revised from the EMT-B method and is more like the method learned in the EMT-A programs which many of us were trained with.

Finally, NJ does indeed have a First Responder Program, some of which has been updated to correlate with the new National Standard EMT program. EMT Refresher courses are currently being revised by OEMS.

Hopefully that clears up most of the mystery!

So really nothing has changed it seems. We might be able to administer our own aspirin if approved. To me that is the only significiant change. I mean really we can assemble a CPAP but can't carry it. I do that already. A one handed tourniquet wow so my other hand is now free. So the class is gaining about 100 hours just to add more practice for skills, how to set up a CPAP, changing how to assess the patient, and a one handed tourniquet is taught. Im sorry but New Jersey is so backwards its not funny. I was watching an episode of Emergency the other day and I laughed because the only difference between NJ EMT's and the ambulance attendents in Emergency was that we show up first as opposed to the paramedics.

And i did not know that NJ still had the first responder program. I thought they did away with that in like 2006 or so.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
First Responder is still alive and active. A good amount of volunteer squads have them, as well as Fire Depts, and (at least at my police academy) every graduate comes out at first responder.

the Aspirin as far as our training is, is approved. We can't carry it on the rigs, but if its available on scene we can administer it.

COMMTECH

Jun 30, 2010
NEW JERSEY, USA
1-12-12 2310 HOURS EST

Hello all---latest update

As of January 1,2012, the NJ EMT Aspirin Administration Protocol has been approved and signed by the NJ Commissioner of Health. Aspirin administered to a patient while on a call, after January 1, 2012 , per the protocol, must be the property of said PATIENT. BLS units may not carry aspirin on their ambulances. Copies of the protocol are currently being distributed to all EMT students in current courses.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
NJEMT said:
Ok finally NJ is getting in line with the rest of the nation with EMT standards.

Hello there from Essex County NY

Todd

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.