New NYPD ESU Trucks

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
:yes:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Paint it red and put "FD" on it and you got a nice truck.

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
I'd love to see close up pictures of the truck. Appears to be very well spec'd. I too was surprised that E-One is the builder given the the last two known ESS trucks purchased by NYPD were built by Ferrara and Pierce. None the less, lowest bidder unfortunately wins out in a a lot of cases, not saying that is the case here.

It looks as either the truck is wrapped in black rub rail running horizontally down the upper and lower sides of the body, but in looking at the pictures, it appears as if you could clip carabiners into the slots? Tie off points? I see the awesome hooks to stabilization points on the rear corners. Appears that way, but I'd have to see close up shots.

Additionally, the truck has four amber light heads facing forward (two per side). Does anyone know if their all turn signals, or is a set a pair of flashers (factually)?

In looking at that truck, and the wide array of lighting, one has to be happy with the utilization of LED's as the poor old alternator/electrical system would suffer if it was all halogen and/or a mix of halogen/strobe.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
TJW said:
Additionally, the truck has four amber light heads facing forward (two per side). Does anyone know if their all turn signals, or is a set a pair of flashers (factually)?

In looking at the picture very closely, it appears to me that all 4 amber heads are turn signals. Perhaps the specs are online and/or someone can confirm?

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Random observation here. The mirrors mounted on the front bumper being on different levels bugs me. But it is still a very nice truck.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Can't believe it's an E-One.... Also not used to the longer wheelbase compared to the current trucks.

QUEENSEMT

Aug 1, 2011
NY,NY
do we have definite conformation that this is the new NYPD ESU trucks? This does not look NYPD at all. This looks alot like a Fire Apparatus, especially with the green scene command light on it. This does not make much sense at all.. thats just my two cents though

The sign in the front window says New York Police.

QUEENSEMT said:
do we have definite conformation that this is the new NYPD ESU trucks? This does not look NYPD at all. This looks alot like a Fire Apparatus, especially with the green scene command light on it. This does not make much sense at all.. thats just my two cents though

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
cutiger said:
Random observation here. The mirrors mounted on the front bumper being on different levels bugs me. But it is still a very nice truck.

I'm guessing the passenger side pole mirror is higher so it can be seen from the driver's seat, any lower it would be below the window line?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
QUEENSEMT said:

Whichever ESU truck with the green Command Post light illuminated would distinguish it from mutiple ESU trucks at one scene as the ESU Command Post.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
It's pictured at E-One's sorta new Stainless Steel Facility in Hamburg, NY. That place was actually a former American LaFrance Plant before they went Bankrupt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i came across this NYPD ESU truck about to be lettered. Word is that they got 6 or 8 of these, at around $700,000ea.

601179_450696144955550_548370366_n.jpg

600433_451235791568252_965170014_n.jpg

599532_451235878234910_858303701_n.jpg

428384_451235711568260_175687200_n.jpg

538100_450934974931667_198991260_n.jpg

178937_451235951568236_2045673303_n.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
That is one bad a$$ moFo looking truck.. Want.

Also want more specs and pics when available.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Love it! Am only hoping that all of those lightheads are sync'ed and not just a bunch of blobs flashing. Also with all that real estate they could go with a full sized arrow board instead of that messenger, which will do nothing. Great looking truck - are those replacing the Ford F-Series or the larger rescue style trucks?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The large ESU rescue TRUCKS never used to be assigned 4-digit RMP (vehicle) ID numbers, IIRC correctly they were 11, 22, 33....etc

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
It's about time they got new trucks. The smaller trucks are made by odysseyauto.com. It looks like they used all Federal Signal lighting except for the messenger board on the rear. The only thing I don't like is the hologen 900 scene lights all over the place. They should have used the new Whelen Led 900. If u are spending so much on a truck I'm sure u can go all led.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
now, in the cab, over the driver, i noticed it also has a red (master) switch for the emergency light sequencer. The truck also has a Fedsig SmartSiren Platinum, an EQ2B, and the Whelen messenger board controller, mounted over the 'doghouse' . So because the master switch over the driver controls the lights, im guessing they only use the SmartSiren Platinum for siren tones? Anyone have an idea?

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Storm4200 said:
now, in the cab, over the driver, i noticed it also has a red (master) switch for the emergency light sequencer. The truck also has a Fedsig SmartSiren Platinum, an EQ2B, and the Whelen messenger board controller, mounted over the 'doghouse' . So because the master switch over the driver controls the lights, im guessing they only use the SmartSiren Platinum for siren tones? Anyone have an idea?

They probably have foot peddles for the EQ2B and the Air horns on the driver side.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Storm4200 said:

I was thinking the same thing. My guess is that they went with the SS to keep things standardized and make service easier. I love the message board- like people are actually going to see it with all of the other lights on the back of the truck.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
NoVAFed said:
Awesome truck. I'm just not sure about Q's on a police vehicle. It will get peoples attention though.

The only Virginia police vehicle with a Q and a Roto-Ray. I think it looks good.

VSP-Bomb-front.jpg

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
NoVAFed said:
It does look great. But in my OCD mind Police vehicles shouldn't have Q's. Or Roto-Rays either to now add to the list. IMO.

Hmmm...wonder how many people on the committee are volunteer firefighters. :)

EDIT: Is this the bomb squad truck that the COG purchased?

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Doug said:
Hmmm...wonder how many people on the committee are volunteer firefighters. :)

EDIT: Is this the bomb squad truck that the COG purchased?

Yes, eveybody and their brother got one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.