New Product Idea...

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
I realize this won't be a super best seller or anything... but it wouldn't exactly require much effort or any additional materials/tooling... one or more of these ILB makers should consider just selling the outer shell/brackets... especially with sites like ELB and with departments trying to recycle lights as much as possible... if say a department dismantles a vehicle and has a bunch of LINZ6 or whatever type of modules they pulled out of a bar, how cool would it be to be able to buy a universal shell that they could just pop some lights into (that either included or didn't include a flasher)... or if someone had a bunch of Feniex T6 lights laying around they could pop them into a bar... obviously the T6's have their own flasher so wouldn't NEED an external one, so it would be cool for it to be optional... but there are a number of ILB makers that use a customizable design type shell which seems could be utilized or easily adapted to a more universal application... By that I mean the ones that let you just unplug modules and move them around... obviously the shells where the lights are hardwired to a single board wouldn't be so easy to utilize, but most of these ILB shells are really just a big L shaped piece of plastic with a curve to it and some visor brackets... I bet a bunch of smaller departments would love to be able to re-purpose the modules from older regular lightbars or maybe some older surface mount modules (like T6, LINZ6, LIN3, TIR6, XPS6, etc.)

They could make it extra fancy by attaching a 15 ft heavy duty power cord with a distribution block or terminal or something inside the bar for a more professional appearance also)...

For reference here's a Feniex Pegasus bar... imagine just having a universal type backing plate behind each head where you could mount whatever light you wanted...

peg150w1124420268.jpg

Also the same idea could carry over to warning bars... imagine being able to stick in 8 ion's or something similar into a bar for a clean install... it wouldn't necessarily have to be waterproof for external installations as the modules themselves would be... but it would make a much cleaner installation to have a universal "channel" to mount them into rather than just trying to line up a bunch of light heads... but again I think it would be best suited for interior usage... take those same type of modules mentioned above that had been cannibalized from an exterior lightbar, and have a NICE looking chassis to mount them into....

cobra8001359416733.jpg

And the same idea could even carry over to dash lights... I've seen members on here use the shell from older dash lights and mount a couple GEN3 lightheads in the opening... why not be able to use some repurposed modules from a lightbar to do the same thing...

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
SOS sells one for CVPIs but I have put them in F150s. Station 3 has one we built for his 05 F150. They are like $50 shipped. I got a few of them from Tony at ERM. ledguy.net/store

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
MEVS06 said:
SOS sells one for CVPIs but I have put them in F150s. Station 3 has one we built for his 05 F150. They are like $50 shipped. I got a few of them from Tony at ERM. ledguy.net/store

I looked on there and didn't see anything like that... *shrug* I could have missed it though was looking pretty quickly

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
minig0d said:
I looked on there and didn't see anything like that... *shrug* I could have missed it though was looking pretty quickly

Shroud

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
ERM said:

Thanks definitely didn't see that on my initial pass... not QUITE what I had in mind but close I guess... I was thinking THAT plus little "back" plates to mount the individual heads to that were spaced about an inch in front of the back of the shell to leave a channel to run all the wires from the heads through... that one uses the bar for that... I suppose if each of the light heads had L brackets you could bolt them on? or create some kind of channel... but was thinking more along the lines on a product that was pre-fabbed and sold specifically for the purpose... aka would require NO fabrication... nothing more than coupling a few wires together and screwing or snapping the lights into place... this would definitely take some fabrication but yes it would at least give a cleaner look...

There's an abundance of people on eLB breaking down lightbars and selling individual modules like:

DSCN0382_zps1825a565.jpg

So if bubba from podunk police department wants to repurpose some lights from an old unit that was totalled into a new ILB or stick... if you handed him that shell he'd have no clue how to hook it up besides some duct tape... but if there were little plates for each head to attach to..... get what I'm saying? like on the pegasus bar I posted above, how the individual heads are staggered rather than in a line... I'm assuming behind each head, they have some type of plate behind the light head for them to mount to :)

Even cooler would be some plastic adapters for specific common lights that could be ordered or included... like linz6 adapter that the lighthead would just snap into and could snap into the housing or screw in... would make it even more popular

Last edited by a moderator:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I get what you are saying. That channel idea is easily solved. An aluminum L from home depot or lowes works perfect. I have made three bars with those shrouds, bkn74 built one also with Solaris heads similar to the 2 I made with solaris heads. It takes some work but if you really want to make an ILB they way you want it, this is a great option.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
MEVS06 said:
I get what you are saying. That channel idea is easily solved. An aluminum L from home depot or lowes works perfect. I have made three bars with those shrouds, bkn74 built one also with Solaris heads similar to the 2 I made with solaris heads. It takes some work but if you really want to make an ILB they way you want it, this is a great option.

Wait, I thought you waited in the Home Depot parking lot... I didn't know you actually went inside :D

Seriously though, I planned to do basically the same thing with the CON3 I had. I understand that not everyone has the time, place, or tools to build something like that.. But honestly, if you have the time and money to order an empty shell, a bunch of brackets, and etc... You could buy a piece of Aluminum, a hack saw, and a can of paint.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
7d9_z28 said:
Wait, I thought you waited in the Home Depot parking lot... I didn't know you actually went inside :D

Seriously though, I planned to do basically the same thing with the CON3 I had. I understand that not everyone has the time, place, or tools to build something like that.. But honestly, if you have the time and money to order an empty shell, a bunch of brackets, and etc... You could buy a piece of Aluminum, a hack saw, and a can of paint.

Eh. Well for me yes. I can do all the above. I'm talking a commercial solution. Departments aren't supposed to rig stuff up on vehicles for liability reasons. For a volunteer sure.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
minig0d said:
Eh. Well for me yes. I can do all the above. I'm talking a commercial solution. Departments aren't supposed to rig stuff up on vehicles for liability reasons. For a volunteer sure.

That takes away from over charging for new lights for some manufacturers...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.