New Setup ideas!

Fast LT1

Veteran
May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Okay i recently got on with a volunteer fire department and need to start getting my setup installed. I will only be running code through 1 stoplight, most of my responding will be done via a rural highway (15 miles).

Front:

R/R Avenger or Talon

2 Lin4 or tir3 style grille lights

Tri's in Corner Lamps

HLF

Rear

A/A Slimlighter

TLF

Maybe! 2 els 9 led bars on rear deck or two Red Deckblasters (are halogen deckblasters worthy of primary warning?)

Too bad you couldn't have a r/r slimlighter and amber halogen deckblasters. Red LEDs and amber halogens are the bomb to the rear! Is the slimlighter gen I LEDs or TIR6s? If you get the ELS bars, I wouldn't waste your time with the TLF or a/a slimlighter, they oughta do plenty enough.

As far as the front, looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of any HAW LED, but you've got enough already that it won't matter.

I already have a A/A TIR6 slimlighter so i planned on keeping it. I might pick up two red ones and use all 3 and a TLF. Im not the biggest fan of haw leds, but the tri's in the OEM hole kick ass in my small corner lamps!

If you got a deal for two r/r TIR6 slimlights, that would be pretty badass. Also, they'd look pretty uniform since they'd all be the same device.

Up front: I would just add a pair of SOS intersectors, or a pair of side facing lights on a 10-75 license plate bracket.

For the rear: Used the three slimlighters. The reds mounted high and wide, with the amber center mounted on the deck.

Other then that, your setup sounds pretty good.

Newberry13 said:
Up front: I would just add a pair of SOS intersectors, or a pair of side facing lights on a 10-75 license plate bracket.
For the rear: Used the three slimlighters. The reds mounted high and wide, with the amber center mounted on the deck.

Other then that, your setup sounds pretty good.

+1

Though, if you are on the highway at all with your POV I'd go with an all red TA in the headliner over the two Super Slimlighters. It would give you just as much if not more warning and give you TA capabilities as well. The TA would also cost you about the same or less than the two red Super Slimlighters.

I have some TAs in all red for sale if you are interested. I can also get you some LED3s or Intersectors if you want some. PM me if you have any questions.

Lots of good ideas, except for the fact that i can't stand the look of the intersectors! I'd rather go innerbeams or something similar!

Also according Kansas state law we are now allowed Red and Blue, so should i run red or red and blue? Out of the 3 people that run code on my department one runs a city vehicle with a red and blue liberty, and one runs strobes and a HLF. So they said its up to me to decide which colors i want to run.

How common is it to see POVs with red and blue yet? I know that Missouri law now allows POVs to use red, but it's not that common outside of one VFD that in the county that I'm going to be moving to. So, I plan on mainly using blue with only a few red lights. If it's becoming common, then go for the combo.

Newberry13 said:
How common is it to see POVs with red and blue yet? I know that Missouri law now allows POVs to use red, but it's not that common outside of one VFD that in the county that I'm going to be moving to. So, I plan on mainly using blue with only a few red lights. If it's becoming common, then go for the combo.

Its really uncommon here to even see a pov with any lights at all, as this department is the only one i know of in the county who will let its members run lights, since most of us live 20 miles away!

Fast LT1 said:
Its really uncommon here to even see a pov with any lights at all, as this department is the only one i know of in the county who will let its members run lights, since most of us live 20 miles away!

20 miles?!? :shock: From my garage the station is 1.2 miles away... That has to be some incredibly long response times. How large of an area does your department cover? Must be very very rural...

We cover the entire northeast part of the county with help from one other department! I spend a lot of my time in the town though, my girlfriends house is in town (thats how i got on with the department) and i'm usually at her house doing stuff, so if i respond from her house i can literally run there faster than i can grab my car keys and back my car out of the driveway!!!!

Oh yea i forgot to add that today with just a r/r avenger and my tri's up front my response time was 14 minutes from when the call went out to the station! :? Of course i didn't make the engine and took the brush truck!

Don't whack out an impala lt1!!

Sorry but I'm one of those kind that see a whalebody impala and loves em how the rolled off the line.

Performance enhancements are one thing.... but if it was me id just throw a dashlight and maybe a pair of lights on the deck and call it good.

cory y said:
Don't whack out an impala lt1!!

Sorry but I'm one of those kind that see a whalebody impala and loves em how the rolled off the line.

Performance enhancements are one thing.... but if it was me id just throw a dashlight and maybe a pair of lights on the deck and call it good.

I don't really whack it out! I install everything so that i can uninstall it fast for the most part! I use it because i have two impala's and a Hurst olds! I have one show impala, one work horse and my Olds which just sits! I haven't found a replacement vehicle that i like enough to give up my impala, im thinking of getting a G8 GT or magnum R/T to replace it.

Haha hey I'm not bashing it at all don't get me wrong! But I'm a minimalist when it comes to lights. I'm umungst the less is more mentality.

I totally get that you use what you have!

cory y said:
Haha hey I'm not bashing it at all don't get me wrong! But I'm a minimalist when it comes to lights. I'm umungst the less is more mentality.

I totally get that you use what you have!

Thats what i'm going for! If it was a truck i'd just through a freedom on it! But with my impala i like the low profile look and don't wanna go with a lightbar or full interior bar!

When I had my Grad Prix this is what I had installed in it.

Front:

Dual Talon R/R under RVM

HAWs in turn signals

HLF

Side:

None

-but the turn signals wrapped around the side and were perfect for interstections

-Rear brake lights HAWs were slightly visible from the side rear

Rear:

Super Slimlighter R/R centered above the CHMSL

HAWs in brake lights and revers lights

Siren/Speaker/Control:

SVP SS651

Whelen SA315P

Star SB 4020

Star 6 head/90W Strobe pack (don't remember the model off the top of my head)

That setup worked great and moved traffic with not problem. I would do something similar with your Impala, but in the rear do the A/A Super Slimlighter where I had my R/R one and if you want some red LEDs to the rear get some single lights and put them towards the outer edges of the rear deck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381