New toys...Fed Sig Aeros

New project time!!!

I got a call from a friend at the local volunteer company the other night, asking if I could come by the station, since they had a question about a light on a utility vehicle. So I roll out there, and this is what I ended up with:

They were given a "new" old SUV by the county for use as a utility, but it is pretty tired. They had it up on blocks and jacks, all four wheels off, and replacing brakes, shocks, and assorted running gear. The thing has a FS Jetstream on it, but they said it "was pretty baked" and they wanted to repair or replace it. Upgrading to LED was not an option (I know, I tried, but let's just let it go). It turns out that I have a Jetstream in my inventory, so I offered to take the Jet off their rig, and either refurbish it or replace it with mine and refurb the old one later.

So, I open up the Jet on the truck, and I find a Cal-spec Jet with 5 rotators, four stationaries, and alley lights. EVERY ONE of the rotators' gears are stripped...all the wires are brittle and fall apart upon moving. Every time I touched something, the gear would powder and crumble. This thing was a hazard. So, I tell the station captain exactly that, but offered to swap my Jet for this one (mine was almost identically set up).

He says thank you, and then points to a shelf up high along the back of the apparatus bay, where I can see a red Aerodynic sitting. He says, "If you see anything up there you would like, you are welcome to it. I want to get rid of it all". Long story short, I walked away with:

- a fully functional Aerodynic EH (just needs some TLC)

- a second Aerodynic base and partially disassembled rotator plate with some gears and rotators

- a partially stripped Aerotwinsonic (that I REALLY want to build back up to a CAL AeroTwinSonic)

- a full set of NOS Red domes still in the box

- a set of NOS red domes without boxes

- a bunch of red, amber, and clear Aero dome pieces

- an old VHF High band Plectron

- Plus I get to keep the old Jetstream off the utility truck

I think I can live with giving away my clean Jetstream...LOL. Photos below, and I will be posting in the Classifieds for some Aero and Jetstream parts. Particularly I am needing a motor and mirror for the AeroTwin...

IMG_20140131_115632_804.jpg

IMG_20140131_115455_277.jpg

IMG_20140131_115504_492.jpg

IMG_20140131_115621_723.jpg

IMG_20140131_115543_589.jpg

IMG_20140131_115659_211.jpg

IMG_20140131_115716_946.jpg

Reactions: BLUELIGHT
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Nice,

I haven't actually been actively looking or any lights since end of last year, I have too many projects that I need to clear out before I start up again.

However one of them is to recreate a CA spec Aerotwin myself. Keep us posted on your progress.

Stampeed Valkyrie said:
Nice,
I haven't actually been actively looking or any lights since end of last year, I have too many projects that I need to clear out before I start up again.

However one of them is to recreate a CA spec Aerotwin myself. Keep us posted on your progress.

My Holy Grail is a CTS, but I cannot (and likely never will be able to) afford one at the going rate, so unless I walk into one in a deal like this, my next-best will be to have an AeroTwinSonic in California spec. So, I'm pretty happy about this. I THOUGHT the Aero Twin was an NYPD bar, because one of the spare dome sections I got is a clear/amber section from an NYPD Aero...that would have been COOL!!! Once I got a close look at the bar though, it is a full size (four section per side) bar, so it is a standard Aero Twin, and not the short NYPD. Oh well, I can make it all better soon!! :)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Wow! You hit an AeroDynic salvage yard. More so than I did! Good haul, Duster :thumbsup:

Captain4164 said:
Although I do have an early model Jet chain drive that I think is close to as rare

Nice!! I would like to have one of those just for the rarity factor. CHP still had those on their cars when I first moved to Cali and started working in public safety out here.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
What a good haul :) I am a sucker for the Aeros. 5th picture down, those PAR holders are from the older and first generation AeroDynics. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.