NEW Version * 2014 WHELEN Liberty SX ~> VIDEO Update !

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
Whelen has introduced an all new updated Liberty . 30% brighter . So here is some info noticed on the 2014 "SX" Liberty. With "Liberty II Modules" . I tell you what , this Liberty makes the previous Liberty look like GEN II Technology. (IMHO)

1.) NO more LIN6... Now all are LIN9 . (Inboards)
2.) NO more plastic buckets with snap in heads... Now all are sheet metal (aluminum) housings
3.)New updated LED modules w/new optic diffusers (has 2 "spot" optics at ends)
4.)Major lens revision , end caps are one piece with a lip... No more gaskets or cut out for a 500 series. The lip snugs tightly around the frame and a more durable piece of transparent plastic is now used.
5.)There is a WHELEN decal around the lip of the endcaps
6.)NO more holes on the top of the light bar (removable mounts are built into the alley lights)
7.)Same modules that are in the all new Whelen Liberty Independence. (Brighter chrome reflectors)

http://youtu.be/3EknwXc4-ko

http://youtu.be/G9-rJ_MWUWI

Yes, you can still use the LIN9 and Lens kits on older Liberty light bars. Enjoy all the pics!

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4448_zpsb1ed27a0.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4447_zpsd7493c63.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4424_zpscac029ce.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4425_zps9bc72669.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4426_zpsa654f6e5.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4427_zpsa5c7a175.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4429_zpsc80231e2.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4430_zps563351d4.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4431_zpsc6a48e9f.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4432_zps9ddcc374.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4433_zpsac7e31a4.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4435_zpsf6bc52d6.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4437_zps56bb6535.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4438_zpsf76f518f.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4439_zps4223c8cb.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4440_zpse2d367a4.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4441_zps0dfb1394.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4442_zpsa2fba3c6.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4444_zps16a45d55.jpg
ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2014_20Whelen_20Liberty_IMG_4445_zpseb4cdfd4.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/m3rican/2014 Whelen Liberty/IMG_4446_zpsc91e15ec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Looks great.!.. I look forward to a video..!!

Can u cruise burn more than the endcaps on this next gen.?..

Thanks for the post... :cool:

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
please tell me there is a hi/low brightness setting on these things... Brighter is better in the daytime sure, but at night it is getting flat out STUPID and DANGEROUS. It is bad enough when passing a traffic stop on the side of the road as traffic moves slowly past at about 30 MPH that I have to close my eyes or look off to the left instead of in front of me.

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
StEaLtH2 said:
Looks great.!.. I look forward to a video..!!
Can u cruise burn more than the endcaps on this next gen.?..

Thanks for the post... :cool:

Only the corner modules can cruise burn. Now you can use the low power option to dim other light heads in the bar.

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
RyanZ71 said:
please tell me there is a hi/low brightness setting on these things... Brighter is better in the daytime sure, but at night it is getting flat out STUPID and DANGEROUS. It is bad enough when passing a traffic stop on the side of the road as traffic moves slowly past at about 30 MPH that I have to close my eyes or look off to the left instead of in front of me.

Correct, you can use the low power option to dim the light heads in the bar.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
HPD84 said:
Only the corner modules can cruise burn. Now you can use the low power option to dim other light heads in the bar.

Ahh, there is the problem. You CAN use low power, but find me an officer that will take the time to turn it on. I am dumbfounded by the blinding light of our units at night and the officers still have them in mode 3 and act unaffected by the light.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Jamey@NNE said:
That's why I love photocells

Amen. I think they should be included in every lightbar at no additional cost, as frankly they are just dangerous to the officer without it. We have mostly Legends in service, and one Valor. We most likely won't be able to continue with Valors unless they come down in price, and as of now, the photocell isn't available in the Legend. =/ I remember right after we first got the new car with the Valor, the chief and I were driving it around at night to "test" the lightbar. When rolled up on a traffic stop and only activated the cruise lights as it was a dark road. Two officers on scene looked at it and asked "what's wrong with your lightbar", translated to "it's not blinding us, fix it".... :)

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
There are eight models within the current Liberty Series: Four are WeCan and four are not. The SX is not a WeCan bar, correct?

Will all eight models receive the Liberty II inboard and chassis treatment, or just the SX?

jrfive0

Sep 19, 2011
NJ, USA
RyanZ71 said:

You shouldn't be "looking to see what happened" in the first place....you should look off to the left.... this is what causes traffic jams :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
As someone stated before I really do hope that a photocell is included in light bars soon. What amazes me is coming here and seeing the knowledge on placement and flash patterns to help lighting be effective, and how people here on the site know to do more with less lighting, yet as I drive to boston or around town I see town and older state police vehicles with so much lighting to the rear and front that it can blind drivers for a mile since the officer decided to leave on his flashing take down lights. I hope departments start to use better lighting placement and flash patterns. In the end it will save money and possibly lives since it seems like drunks are attracted to the lights. Rant over. :crazy:

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
jrfive0 said:
You shouldn't be "looking to see what happened" in the first place....you should look off to the left.... this is what causes traffic jams :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

He said he had to look to the left to keep from being blinded. Not that he was looking to the right. A driver should be able to look straight ahead of them without being completely blinded. And I can speak from experience myself... I remember driving home on a dark back road when I still lived in the county I work for, and coming upon a traffic stop where two of our units were parked. As I approached, I had to pass them in the opposing lane and hope and pray that they were not standing in the roadway, as I could not see ANYTHING in front of my vehicle.

Not only should manufacturers included photocells in every lightbar, they should eliminate these freaking seizure patterns. I am absolutely sick of seeing them in my state by the highway patrol and now the sheriff's office where I live. I see way more departments using Whelen bars lately and what pattern do most of them pick? You guessed it! It also seems the troopers in my state have the idea that facing oncoming traffic on the interstate with the lights in mode 3 (wig/wags and flashing takedowns) is much better, even at night...

I'll get off my soapbox now, but this topic really makes my blood boil.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Kevin K. said:
There are eight models within the current Liberty Series: Four are WeCan and four are not. The SX is not a WeCan bar, correct?

Will all eight models receive the Liberty II inboard and chassis treatment, or just the SX?

The chassis change (no top screws) happened in 2011.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
AutoDetailer said:
The end caps have been that way for awhile.

Correct, at least 10 months or so. This is actually called the Liberty II. It is available with the standard Liberty extended corner modules or the double stacked Legacy corners. The double stack center modules are soon to follow. It is available in the LC or WeCan platform. As more people become more comfortable with the Wecan platform I believe the plan is to phase out the LC models. WeCan isn't much more money, offers a ton more features and is very easy to program via usb using Windows based software. It simply blows the LC platform out of the water and the LC platform, in itself, is outstanding.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
The bar shown is actually a hybrid Liberty with LibertyII inside parts in a standard Liberty shell. The actual LibertyII uses a housing and lens configuration similar to the Legacy, but with the height of a Liberty.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Forgive me, I'm just a bit confused about this. Am I understanding correctly that the Liberty II consists entirely of double-stacked Legacy modules? Based on the pics, it appears to be that only the corners are the double-stacked Legacy modules and the inboards are the new LIN9 modules. Referencing the LIN12 corners and the new LIN9 modules, these will be available on the updated Liberty chassis?

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
~~> 4.14.04 Front 720P HD Video Added <~~ You can also view my other videos to compare it to the previous Liberty SX in which I was the first to bring it to y'all and sell it back in 2009/10.

I finally recovered my password on one of my youtube accounts. This is our 3rd oldest account (most recent). Please subscribe !!! We will be posting more videos by request. If you are interested in purchasing one , please send us a PM. The 2014 Whelen Liberty SX Lightbars are now in stock and for sale "While supplies last".

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
You'd think updating the liberty would take sales away from their legacy, but I guess this fits in between the freedom and legacy. In a way I'm glad they haven't stopped updating the liberty since it gives "us" a good range to choose from. Almost not sold on the tiny profile of the legacy, have yet to see one in real world.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
arsenal10 said:
Almost not sold on the tiny profile of the legacy, have yet to see one in real world.

thats why. You havnt seen it.

that thing is BRIGHT

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Having seen the Legacy and the Liberty in person right next to each other the Legacy is a little bit brighter but it's not anything significant IMO. Personally I would rather have a Liberty, especially with these newly redesigned light heads.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
HPD84 said:
~~> 4.14.04 Front 720P HD Video Added <~~ You can also view my other videos to compare it to the previous Liberty SX in which I was the first to bring it to y'all and sell it back in 2009/10.

I finally recovered my password on one of my youtube accounts. This is our 3rd oldest account (most recent). Please subscribe !!! We will be posting more videos by request. If you are interested in purchasing one , please send us a PM. The 2014 Whelen Liberty SX Lightbars are now in stock and for sale "While supplies last".

You can't link the video to the thread?

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Outsider said:
The bar shown is actually a hybrid Liberty with LibertyII inside parts in a standard Liberty shell. The actual LibertyII uses a housing and lens configuration similar to the Legacy, but with the height of a Liberty.

This is even more confusing. I haven't located any relevant literature on Whelen's website about the updates; are the bars HPD84 selling prototypes? Logic tells me that the standard Liberty will come with LIN12 corners and LIN9 inboards, whereas the Liberty II will come with Legacy corners and either LIN9 inboards or Legacy inboards. Also, I notice that there are new alley and takedown modules available for the Liberty II--will those be available on the standard Liberty as well?

Literature would be a big help here.

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
Kevin K. said:
This is even more confusing. I haven't located any relevant literature on Whelen's website about the updates; are the bars HPD84 selling prototypes? Logic tells me that the standard Liberty will come with LIN12 corners and LIN9 inboards, whereas the Liberty II will come with Legacy corners and either LIN9 inboards or Legacy inboards. Also, I notice that there are new alley and takedown modules available for the Liberty II--will those be available on the standard Liberty as well?

Literature would be a big help here.

It seems that this Liberty is just an updated version of the previous generation. Unfortunately any information gathered is what noticed as Whelen does not have specifics released as of yet. The Liberty Series will remain the most popular of the Whelen Lightbars. The legacy is nice but won't be as popular due to cost and the actual footprint of the Lightbar.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.