New Whelen Dual-Color Vertex hideaways

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Anybody else have any? I installed a pair of red/clears on my 2002 Silverado (see pics here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2286).

They're small, but bright as hell. Easy to install and work with, and the wiring is TINY. Four-wire leads (Hot, Negative, Sync, Scan-lock/pattern), and it's all jacketed in black insulation.

I'll have video up of mine in action here before too long if anyone isn't sure what I'm talking about.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
No offense, but seeing the placement of your vertex's make them work so well...

Have they changed the design at all? If not I would be wary of mounting them any other way, other than direct head on..

Get some more photos up, and make a review of them!

:D

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
unlisted said:
No offense, but seeing the placement of your vertex's make them work so well...
Have they changed the design at all? If not I would be wary of mounting them any other way, other than direct head on..

Get some more photos up, and make a review of them!

:D

They're laid out the same way as the single-color ones (6 LEDs in a hex pattern, three to a color), and are just as bright. I'll have to see if I can pop one out and take some regular pics of it and do a review. They were easy as hell to install, and fit perfectly in the DRL housings (not to mention the housing optics enhance how well they work).

I wasn't sold on them at first until I saw them in action at the shop, especially synced up as a pair.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
So are they true dual color or just split color? Sounds like just half of one color, half of the other.

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
i really like the truck and the light set up. looks great.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Pimp said:
So are they true dual color or just split color? Sounds like just half of one color, half of the other.

They're "split", rather than "dual". I should clarify with better terminology. :oops:

DMac

Jun 27, 2010
I've installed a bunch of them. They're much better surface mounted than they are inside a housing IMHO. I've used red/blue ones in reverse light housings and they're mediocre at best. However mounting them on running boards in split colors look awesome.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
DMac said:
I've installed a bunch of them. They're much better surface mounted than they are inside a housing IMHO. I've used red/blue ones in reverse light housings and they're mediocre at best. However mounting them on running boards in split colors look awesome.

I'd probably have to agree with that summarization, though mine work very well in my DRL housings.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.