New York driver saved due to dash cam video after police lie

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The EV had the emergency lights on, and other motorists were yielding. The civilian driver is obviously an idiot, who sees other cars stopped at a green light and decides to pass them at full speed? An observant responsible motorist would at least slow down and wonder why 2 other cars in the same direction were stopped. In my opinion, the EV had lawful control of the intersection, because 2 other vehicle stopped. At worst, this should be a mutual fault crash.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
HILO said:
The EV had the emergency lights on, and other motorists were yielding. The civilian driver is obviously an idiot, who sees other cars stopped at a green light and decides to pass them at full speed? An observant responsible motorist would at least slow down and wonder why 2 other cars in the same direction were stopped. In my opinion, the EV had lawful control of the intersection, because 2 other vehicle stopped. At worst, this should be a mutual fault crash.

For what it's worth, he didn't have control of the intersection if ALL cars were not stopped, just because two out of three cars stop doesn't equal "control of an intersection"

We were taught in EVOC to clear each lane one by one until the lane is either clear or traffic has come to a stop.

He failed to clear a lane with a moving car in it.

I will side with the dash cam driver, but my opinion means exactly $**t in the court of law.

Furthermore, the officers lied on the report and to responding officers telling them the dash cam driver ran a red light, and stated they were not running L&S. That's the part that makes me go "hummmm?" :undecided:

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
HILO, couldn't disagree with you more on this one... Lights and sirens is a "Mother may I", not a "here I come". They still had an obligation to safely clear the intersection. The guy with the dash cam ABSOLUTELY had the right, in my opinion, to continue driving on his roadway. The fact that they outright LIED (if that is true) abut the red light indicates that they knew they were in the wrong.

I can't believe that no other witnesses stuck around to provide statements to the investigating officer. I wonder why the dash cam guy didn't advise the officers that he had a dash cam that may have captured the wreck...

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
kitn1mcc said:
Question is why are they running code threw NYC like that

You have to go to NYC to understand. You run code to make it back to the precinct to clock out on time.

No, I'm not kidding.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
mcpd2025 said:
HILO, couldn't disagree with you more on this one... Lights and sirens is a "Mother may I", not a "here I come". They still had an obligation to safely clear the intersection. The guy with the dash cam ABSOLUTELY had the right, in my opinion, to continue driving on his roadway. The fact that they outright LIED (if that is true) abut the red light indicates that they knew they were in the wrong.

I can't believe that no other witnesses stuck around to provide statements to the investigating officer. I wonder why the dash cam guy didn't advise the officers that he had a dash cam that may have captured the wreck...

I do agree that the cops in question should be in trouble, but the driver was also in the wrong because I can see blinkies in the distance at about 3 seconds in, and if I can see it in the video then it'd be clear as day IRL at that distance. He should have seen the lights and had plenty of time to stop.

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
Are they necessarily lying, I don't think so. Did the intersection have either an opticom or siren control of some sort? Or did they assume it did? Maybe they thought it had activated because they were using there lights and possibly siren. Anyone who has ever seen a NYC emergency vehicle YouTube video know that they do not use their sirens constantly. This could be why they assumed he ran the red light. Granted, they are responsible for making sure they have total control of the intersection, but I Would not call it a lie. The reporter also said they stated they had their emergency lights on, and you can see them on in the video.

I am not saying either party is right, I think they are both wrong to an extent.

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
I have to wonder why the Border Patrol is running code up north in the first place. Was there an unregistered load of sweet, delicious Canadian maple on the loose? Perhaps a clever Canadian Moose was trying to visit family without his passport?

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
J-Rock1944 said:
I have to wonder why the Border Patrol is running code up north in the first place. Was there an unregistered load of sweet, delicious Canadian maple on the loose? Perhaps a clever Canadian Moose was trying to visit family without his passport?

Maybe one of their Canadian/East Indian truckers was running around and they mistook him for al queda.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
The driver clearly had a Green light, and the emergency vehicle clearly didn't make sure the intersection was clear and everyone was yielding before preceding.

That said, the driver seems like a dummy. I saw the unedited dash footage a few days ago, and the emergency lights are clearly visible on the van from a long distance away... and as pointed out, all the other drivers were slowing at stopping at the intersection. That alone should have been a clue that something was amiss. What if the other drivers were slowing and stopping because a kid was running out into the crosswalk? When other drivers react weird, you always need to make sure you double check your surroundings and assumptions.

Furthermore, when the agents approach the driver at the scene of the accident they aren't claiming he ran a red light, they were saying "didn't you see the red light?!" which I interpret to mean their flashing emergency red lights.

Granted, I haven't read the police report, but from the video and statements the driver has put together, it's clear that he's 1) not a defensive driver and 2) still not clear about what happened (since he's convinced the agents were saying something they weren't). Of course it's also clear that the agents didn't effectively clear that intersection before proceeding through it.

Blame all around.

$0.02

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Zack said:
The driver clearly had a Green light, and the emergency vehicle clearly didn't make sure the intersection was clear and everyone was yielding before preceding.

That said, the driver seems like a dummy. I saw the unedited dash footage a few days ago, and the emergency lights are clearly visible on the van from a long distance away... and as pointed out, all the other drivers were slowing at stopping at the intersection. That alone should have been a clue that something was amiss. What if the other drivers were slowing and stopping because a kid was running out into the crosswalk? When other drivers react weird, you always need to make sure you double check your surroundings and assumptions.

Furthermore, when the agents approach the driver at the scene of the accident they aren't claiming he ran a red light, they were saying "didn't you see the red light?!" which I interpret to mean their flashing emergency red lights.

Granted, I haven't read the police report, but from the video and statements the driver has put together, it's clear that he's 1) not a defensive driver and 2) still not clear about what happened (since he's convinced the agents were saying something they weren't). Of course it's also clear that the agents didn't effectively clear that intersection before proceeding through it.

Blame all around.

$0.02

Except the agents wrote a report (as did local police after taking agents statements) saying that the dash cam driver ran a red light.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
CPDG23 said:
Except the agents wrote a report (as did local police after taking agents statements) saying that the dash cam driver ran a red light.

Like I said, I haven't read any report, nor have I found any to read.

All I know is that the driver who uploaded the vehicle, based on the commentary he added to it, thinks that when the agents first said "didn't you see the red light?" he thought they were talking about the Traffic Light, and not the emergency lights (which I think is actually the case).

I would like to read the report to see whether the agents/local PD in fact did say he ran a red traffic light, or whether this guy *still* doesn't get what everyone else seems to understand.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Zack said:
Like I said, I haven't read any report, nor have I found any to read.

All I know is that the driver who uploaded the vehicle, based on the commentary he added to it, thinks that when the agents first said "didn't you see the red light?" he thought they were talking about the Traffic Light, and not the emergency lights (which I think is actually the case).

I would like to read the report to see whether the agents/local PD in fact did say he ran a red traffic light, or whether this guy *still* doesn't get what everyone else seems to understand.

Watch the video in my link. They show the report.

canonninja

Aug 27, 2013
Houston, Tx
Watched the whole video uploaded.... you can see blinkies sure, because you're looking for them, and granted that was a decent amount of time before reaching the intersection, and no point is it safe to just assume hey, there's gonna be a truck in my lane in a second. Even if he saw them, the other traffic stopped pretty abruptly and blocked the view of the truck and other driver, but in all my EVOC classes and 12 years of driving emergency traffic, I would put the CBP drivers at fault completely. They did not effectively, and without due diligence, clear the intersection appropriately. My old EMS company is paying out some serious settlements due to intersection accidents far more questionable than this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.