New York State DOT Mack and International Snow Plows

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
That is the only setup in the state for DOT trucks unless it's the older halogen. I think they should have stayed with halogen as I see a lot of the lights get covered in snow and are almost 0% effective.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
:yawn: :yawn:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Whenever I look at plows, graders, loaders, blowers, and other snow removal equipment I miss the good old days when they all had a single blue dual sealed beam rotating beacon. It used to be the standard in some Canadian provinces.

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
Most of the plows around OKC have Whelen 500 series A/W split surface mounted front and rear (2 per side) and red/blue split in the back. Then you see some of the ODOT trucks with truck stop amber and blue lights.

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
Wailer said:
Whenever I look at plows, graders, loaders, blowers, and other snow removal equipment I miss the good old days when they all had a single blue dual sealed beam rotating beacon. It used to be the standard in some Canadian provinces.

Wailer,

What are the running for lighting on snow clearing equipment in your neck of the woods now? I.E. City of Regina, City of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan D.O.T.

Everything in Winnipeg, and Manitoba D.O.T. is a mix of Amber & Blue. City's old stuff is a mix of Strobe can beacons with a single Amber LED on each side of the tailgate, newer stuff is all LED. MB D.O.T. is running a mix of Halogen or LED split Amber/Blue mini lightbars with a pair of Amber LED's on each side of the tailgate.

Last time I drove through SK if I recalled correctly D.O.T. was running dual Code 3 LP6100 mini bars and a pair of Amber LED's on each side of the tailgate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
TJW said:
Wailer,

What are the running for lighting on snow clearing equipment in your neck of the woods now? I.E. City of Regina, City of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan D.O.T.

All snow removal equipment have been using amber lighting since the police switched to red and blue lighting in 1987. Nowadays, graders, loaders, and blowers typically use a single LED beacon, while dump trucks and plows will use LED beacons and/or blinking LEDs to the front and rear.

MetsFan2512

Jan 14, 2013
Long Island, NY
I work for NYSDOT and can say that the state is very cheap with its lighting package in DOT, state troopers got nice light bars and DOT got stuck with those dim LED beacons (replaced the larger and brighter halogen rotators). I also noticed that DOT has been replacing a lot of the older Mack truck with the larger international trucks with the grey dump body ( surprised me they didn't bother painting them yellow, blue, or combination like the older trucks). Im only a temporary inspector for the state each season and they give us one amber rotator that plugs into the cig lighter and 2 window decals which we have to give back when we are laid off at the end of construction season.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.