Newbie needs help with antenna mounting

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
I'm having a headache rack built for my new truck, and the guy is throwing on a couple tabs for mounting antennas. One will be a dual band VHF/UHF, and the other a CB. Since NMO style seems to be the most popular, I tried searching for an assembly that I can use, but all I can come up with are the style of NMO's that are used for "through the roof" mounting. My application will leave the underside of the mount exposed to the elements, however, I am unable to find a NMO mount that is waterproof on the bottom also.

So, please educate me if needed, as this is my first experience working with anything but a mag mount. Or is there another type of mount that you think would work better. Thanks!

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
In my experience leaving the bottom of NMOs exposed to the elements have not been an issue. If you are concerned just cover the bottom in silicone. But to my knowledge there are no NMOs made that are waterproofed.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Most NMO's have a plastic shell that snaps in place and covers the center wire and its soldered connection to the base of the mount. If you use a little silicone or RTV, you should be able to pretty well seal it up.

at2_gstatic_com_images_baf923541dd96f2e30ae16c9856a3bb5._.jpg

Another thing to do is to use a light coating dielectric grease on all metal surfaces as you install the mount and antenna. It will protect the metal from corrosion and maintain a good electrical connection.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
I've had a NMO mounted to an "L" bracket on the hood of my van for over 5 years. The bottom is open on that type of mount also. No problem in in that time.

You can always use the silicone and/or dielectric grease noted above if you want to be 110% sure, but it shouldn't pose a problem as long as your wire is secured well and not flapping in the wind.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
With any type of antenna connection, the center element is the part that matters (i.e. the center conductor in the coax, and the antenna element itself). Everything else is just RF shielding and/or ground and doesn't carry current, nor will affect operation if it's exposed to elements (unless it comes into contact with live current of another source).

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
Thanks gents, I guess I won't worry about it too much then. I have some silicone laying around somewhere that should do the trick.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.