Newbie question

opp9C1

Jan 8, 2012
London, Ontario CANADA
I have a potentially stupid question, although I'd rather ask then risk damaging any of my lights I own. If I wanted to test my two rotators to see if they work, can I just touch the live wire to the car battery, or will that end badly? I apologize if this is already listed here somewhere already (maybe I searched the wrong words). Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate it.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
opp9C1 said:
I have a potentially stupid question, although I'd rather ask then risk damaging any of my lights I own. If I wanted to test my two rotators to see if they work, can I just touch the live wire to the car battery, or will that end badly? I apologize if this is already listed here somewhere already (maybe I searched the wrong words). Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate it.

No, you will be fine.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Take the extra precaution and get into a regular habit of putting an inline fuse. 20a should be doable.

Jesse Volanti

Sep 27, 2011
USA California
Listen if it is a modern light then there is a red for positive black for ground. If you have and old skirt beacon then use a ground wire for the skirt then the positive for the motor same goes for any light you may own and reverse polarity on rotators not a big deal ither but on strobes unless it is a cheap light always pos & neg only. Most newer strobes have polarity protection built :)in.

opp9C1

Jan 8, 2012
London, Ontario CANADA
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. The lights I currently own are a Unity RV-26 With red Spitfire lens, and two Dominion Auto 357 (I believe that's the right model #) rotators. So hooking up the 20A inline fuse would be on the POS I would presume? Thanks again guys!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.