nForce SOS: Is it possible, Is it necessary???

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas
Good morning all! Here's a list of what I'm using:

1) nForce SOS: Red/White surface mount

2) nForce SOS: Blue/White surface mount

3) 2x - 4 pin relays (not sure on how many amps yet)

4) Whelen Siren/Light switchbox - 295SLSA6

With that in mind, here is how the Whelen Siren/Light switchbox is hooked up now.

Slide Position #1: Rear bar, Rear surface mounts and Taillight flashbacks

Slide Position #2: Mirror mounts, Side lights, Inner light bar and the nForce SOS lights in question.

Slide Position #3: HLF, takedown flash on inner light bar.

Push Button #1: Takedown (Inner light takedown as well as nForce SOS will taken down)

With that in mind, here is what I want to do…

The way I have it wired up now, if the slide is position in position #2 or #3 and I activate push button #1 the takedowns in the inner lightbar and nForce lights will override the flash mode. The problem is when the slide switch is in the off position or position #1 and I activate push button #1, only the inner lightbar takedowns will come on. This is because there is no power to red wire on the nForce lights. I want to make it to where I can just turn the takedown lights on without any other emergency lights on. I want both the nForce and Inner lightbar to takedown with push button #1 when the slide switch is in the off position.

I know what everyone is thinking "just use a jumper wire!". The only problem is when you do that the charge will power all the other lights on that post or the slide position #2 post.

So I have come up with a plan and drew the diagram you see here. My thoughts are the relays will stop the current from back feeding into the switch. You may note the following:

RED: Positive 12V

Black: Ground

Orange: Is acting as the red wire on the nForce lights

Purple: Is acting as the white wire on the nForce lights

Green: Sync wire

Blue: Is acting as red positive 12v wire

Diagram nforce 2.jpg

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
bigcat said:
I have this same situation in an upcoming install. I haven't used diodes all that much, are these acceptable diodes for this application?

3-Amp Diodes : Diodes | RadioShack.com

Should be fine for one or two LED light heads (usually under 1 A each). But diodes are cheap, so you might as well dedicate one diode per light head to minimize heat dissipation.

Modified version of the diagram I posted above:

switch diode 3.jpg

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
MtnMan said:
Here's how I would do it with a couple of diodes:

That is how I did it when I had the nForce. It worked for me. That is the only drawback to the nForce is that you have to have the warning lights on first to use the takedowns

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Eric1249 said:
That is how I did it when I had the nForce. It worked for me. That is the only drawback to the nForce is that you have to have the warning lights on first to use the takedowns

FedSig does it the same way, unfortunately.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I had a pair of red/white on my rear plate. Red flashed for warning lights. The white came on with a switch and/or reverse. Having to have the warning lights on first is a poor design

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.