NFPA Freedom

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Our engine has a 72 inch freedom with corners, 2 red and two white led heads to the front. The mfg date is 11/05. It is time to add some more modules to this bar, are these prewired internally or will it be complicated to add two pairs of lights to this bar? Either way it will be done. Also, are these ballast or passive bars? The model number is FN72QLED. I have never messed with an NFPA bar before, help would be appreciated.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
http://www.whelen.com/install/137/13762.pdf

The install guide doesn't specify the type of flasher used in the bar but there should be wiring in there. If not you might have to add a harness to the existing flasher. You'll have to connect the appropriate trigger wire to the switchbox as well. Last resort would be adding an additonal flasher but that wouldn't be tough at all.

Freedoms are passive.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
LEAVE IT AS IT IS! IMO, You dont need more LEDs. Those bars are very effective as is.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Storm4200 said:
LEAVE IT AS IT IS! IMO, You dont need more LEDs. Those bars are very effective as is.

Less is more. If you really must add lights, synchronize them - Freedoms with with more than a few sets of lights are very prone to turning into a glowing blob, which really defeats the purpose of flashing lights. With just the minimum number of lights in an extra-long bar like you have, you get a lot more warning out of each light.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
nerdly_dood said:
Less is more. If you really must add lights, synchronize them - Freedoms with with more than a few sets of lights are very prone to turning into a glowing blob, which really defeats the purpose of flashing lights. With just the minimum number of lights in an extra-long bar like you have, you get a lot more warning out of each light.
I agree. However we are adding blue to it and I cannot turn the red lights into blue lights, thus requiring me to buy more lights, and rather than do away with them, Id rather keep the heads in the bar. How would you go about syncing the lights?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I found what I believe to be a SX-series Liberty control board, from the factory, installed in a 2012-dated 66" NFPA Freedom that was ordered fully loaded with 8 modules to the front, four corner modules, and one module in each of the endcaps. Perhaps it was built this way because it had so many modules in it; I cannot say.

nerdly_dood said:
If you really must add lights, synchronize them.

Your Freedom may be different than the one I worked on, but this worked for me: http://elightbars.org/forums/f32/sync-option-whelen-liberty-sx-model-lightbars-19101/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.