Nicest POV I've Ever Seen...

RJ*

Member
May 21, 2010
346
Finland
The rear needs a much slower flash pattern. The front needs to swap over one blue and one clear lighthead to get a bigger footprint. Add a throw light, and someone might actually see it.
 

stansdds

Member
May 25, 2010
3,481
U.S.A., Virginia
Not much warning to the front and none to the sides, but it is a POV. Would anyone in the states actually take a BMW or any luxury car with emergency lights seriously?
 

philyumpshus

Member
Jun 20, 2010
1,277
Malone, NY
Not only are those lights minimally effective but they're illegal in NY. If you run blue then it has to be all blue - no clear anywhere and no red to the rear. Must be from Long Island, where all the vol. FFs think the lighting rules don't apply to them.
 

tomx20

Member
Aug 17, 2010
43
philyumpshus said:
Not only are those lights minimally effective but they're illegal in NY. If you run blue then it has to be all blue - no clear anywhere and no red to the rear. Must be from Long Island, where all the vol. FFs think the lighting rules don't apply to them.

I've heard the same thing, how NY only allows blue. I thought the could run amber as well though..


And I agree that most people wouldn't take a luxury car seriously, but I don't even they take regular looking POV's seriously in NY since they can't run a siren..
 

pdk9

Member
May 26, 2010
3,834
New York & Florida
tomx20 said:
I've heard the same thing, how NY only allows blue. I thought the could run amber as well though..

i've never heard of a problem w/ vollies running amber to the rear; i believe that most ppl realize the importance of amber to the rear for any vehicle (fire, ems, PD, etc.), including POVs, and don't have a problem w/ VFFs adding on some amber since it doesn't really command any authority, as it is more of a "caution" indicator.


Also, we all know that there's still the NYS 1 rotating beacon blue light law, but most VFFs' POVs have full-sized blue light bars, slicktop-type installs w/ all blue (i.e. when living in NY, I had a dashlight and 2 grill, w/ a rear dominator 6), etc. i personally've never seen local LEOs hassle ppl about having a whackerish amount of blue lights; rather, the only time i've seen LEO have any issues are w/ VFFs are when they're driving w/ other colors (such as red), having sirens and illegally using airhorns while en-route to calls, and (obviously) driving like maniacs.
 

stfd1911

Member
Jul 6, 2010
264
Laporte, Indiana
I would like to meet a vollie that has the money to afford a beemer then have the sense to put lights and a siren in it! lol....I know around me its 90% pickup trucks and good ole boys that get the job done.. I wouldnt talk a luxury car seriously either..I would say its a overpaid jerk needing to get somewhere fast...IMO
 

zsiya

Member
May 22, 2010
169
AL
Not to mention the personalized tag. Prob works the minimum hours to keep certified but waves the FF flag everywhere.
 

philyumpshus

Member
Jun 20, 2010
1,277
Malone, NY
tomx20 said:
I've heard the same thing, how NY only allows blue. I thought the could run amber as well though..


And I agree that most people wouldn't take a luxury car seriously, but I don't even they take regular looking POV's seriously in NY since they can't run a siren..

Is that amber to the rear? It looked like red/clear to me. I don't see a problem with amber; I run it to the rear and I'm in NY. He definitely isn't supposed to have clear to the front though. And I don't think NY law explicitly prohibits using air horns, just sirens.
 

Amanda

Member
May 24, 2010
193
NY, USA
Hatzolah isn't only in NYC, they're in Orange County, NY, too, and Sullivan County, NY. Orange County is home of one of the largest Hasidic communities in the country, I'm pretty sure.
 

TheGatekeeper

Member
Jun 19, 2010
1,734
France
zsiya said:
Not to mention the personalized tag. Prob works the minimum hours to keep certified but waves the FF flag everywhere.

So what? :roll:


Is the subject of the forum emergency lights and vehicles, or how fit are the owners of said vehicles ? Come on!


He could be an MD, whether Hatzolah or not, for all we know and care.
 

tomx20

Member
Aug 17, 2010
43
FDNY 10-75 said:
Video is set to private now, what kind of vehicle was it? Apparently this whack is floating around on here.
Wow, can't believe they set it to private. My whole reason in posting this was to say how nice the car was, but also to say that the setup didn't appear effective. I hope, if the person is on here, they aren't offended.
 

tomx20

Member
Aug 17, 2010
43
dynastar666 said:
I've seen quite a few luxury cars used as POVs. I have a picture somewhere of a 2010 BMW X5 with a knock-off Stealth Visor and a k/o Dual Talon on the dash.
Figures, the people with the most expensive cars want the cheapest lights :lol:
 

UndercoverVLS

Member
Jun 1, 2010
337
NY
I've never heard of there being a problem running clear to the front in NY. I cant see the video since it says private, but a Blue/Clear combo in the front is perfectly OK. If you really wanna get your panties in a bunch over the law, I'd venture to say that 98% of volunteer FF's are in violation. Maybe with the exception of the 75+ y/o members that have the 100 candle watt rotating light. Hell, even the guys with no lights are technically in violation.
 

philyumpshus

Member
Jun 20, 2010
1,277
Malone, NY
UndercoverVLS said:
I've never heard of there being a problem running clear to the front in NY. I cant see the video since it says private, but a Blue/Clear combo in the front is perfectly OK. If you really wanna get your panties in a bunch over the law, I'd venture to say that 98% of volunteer FF's are in violation. Maybe with the exception of the 75+ y/o members that have the 100 candle watt rotating light. Hell, even the guys with no lights are technically in violation.

The law states that you can run a combination of red or red/clear but when it mentions blue lights, it only says blue. You aren't supposed to run clear anywhere with a blue light but that doesn't mean people don't do it. I don't see a problem with it as long as it's not excessive and it's not a HLF.
 

TheGatekeeper

Member
Jun 19, 2010
1,734
France
dynastar666 said:
I've seen quite a few luxury cars used as POVs. I have a picture somewhere of a 2010 BMW X5 with a knock-off Stealth Visor and a k/o Dual Talon on the dash.

X5 SUVs are a very common sight in Europe as emergency vehicles. It might inspire some copycats in the US... ;)

2009-bmw-x5-security-plus-front-side-588x421.jpg

4659631332_7d28ca8942_o.jpg

Policijski_BMW_X5.jpg
 

MiFF

Member
Jul 10, 2010
19
Springfield, MI
On my previous department we had a funeral director who was a Sergeant. At one time he drove a Cadilac Escalade. He was probably one of the best firefighters we had. Over 20 years of experience and he still showed up to any call he could and almost all of the trainings. Just because they have a lot of money and choose to indulge doesn't mean they aren't willing to work. This member also didn't wave his firefighter card around at all. he had no lights, no firefighter plates, never wore firefighter shirts outside of work. The only way to tell he was a firefighter was the pager on his belt.
 

dynastar666

Member
May 20, 2010
121
Burlington, VT
MiFF said:
On my previous department we had a funeral director who was a Sergeant. At one time he drove a Cadilac Escalade. He was probably one of the best firefighters we had. Over 20 years of experience and he still showed up to any call he could and almost all of the trainings. Just because they have a lot of money and choose to indulge doesn't mean they aren't willing to work. This member also didn't wave his firefighter card around at all. he had no lights, no firefighter plates, never wore firefighter shirts outside of work. The only way to tell he was a firefighter was the pager on his belt.
It needs lights to count! We've got guys on my department driving Mercedes ML55s, etc but not lights.
 

HFD38RESQ

Member
Aug 3, 2010
31
MiFF said:
On my previous department we had a funeral director who was a Sergeant. At one time he drove a Cadilac Escalade. He was probably one of the best firefighters we had. Over 20 years of experience and he still showed up to any call he could and almost all of the trainings. Just because they have a lot of money and choose to indulge doesn't mean they aren't willing to work. This member also didn't wave his firefighter card around at all. he had no lights, no firefighter plates, never wore firefighter shirts outside of work. The only way to tell he was a firefighter was the pager on his belt.
I like people like that
 

TheGatekeeper

Member
Jun 19, 2010
1,734
France
Me too. leaves a chance for the regular guys topick-up some chicks. :roll:


Okay, seriously now...


The first BMW X1 fitted as an RRV (demo).4998269366_f3c0e4165f_b.jpg[/attachment:2y9j6bv5] Ok I'm a little biased as my wife drives one of those for work (without the fancy marking though...)

4998269366_f3c0e4165f_b.jpg
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
53,198
Messages
446,515
Members
18,757
Latest member
FoxHole

About Us

  • Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.