NJ Cop vs State Trooper

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Well its one of those Gray areas..I mean i know the whole unmarked thing, but a Caravan with what appears to be a Flimsy paper plate blowing in the video, with 4 Hide-aways i would have my hand on my weapon too, but pointing it at the cop is a little much. I think all around it could have gone a little better...I cant blame the Bergen cops for being pissed off as i would be too. But none of us were there so we can just armchair quarterback

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
From the video the state officer was first to get an unprofessional attitude causing things to escalate. If he would have remained calmed and acted professionally he could have kept his weapon out without pointing it at someone until he felt the scene was safe. By acting calmly and professionally he could have talked to them as one officer to another to judge by what they say and do to whether or not they are legit. While also see credentials.

But then again what do I know I am just a hosedragger

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Just watched the full video and got to say wow that trooper needs more time with his FTO. He was losing his shit like a shit collector with amnesia.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Ok, here's a story from the other night while on duty... Me and my partner pull up on two unmarked units with their lights flashing and what looks like 3 officers with 2 in custody.. These units didn't look like any vehicle my PD has.. Keep in mind, this was at nearly midnight, county dispatch had not relayed to city dispatch that any state officer had anyone stopped... So we were suspicious.. The officers involved all had a "tac vest" on, along with a gun, radio and cuffs... Me any my partner had a duty belt, polo with felt bage in front and "POLICE" written on the back, with our "unit" being the mountain bikes we were on.... So you know what we did... We pulled up in front of them (closest to us and to a city camera), made our presence known, notified dispatched of what we had and waved to one of the guys to come over... Guess what happened.... We all introduced ourselves, discussed what had happened and had some small chit chat... In that short time, dispatched advised us that what what we were being told was true and wanted to know if they were 10-1 (under control)...

No cursing, no drawing weapons, no "who's bigger contest", no arguing over jurisdiction... Just a pleasant conversation. I got to meet a couple troopers and probation agents, i ensured a fellow officer was 10-1 and I was able to relay some new drug information to my department.. All in all, a good deal...

It pays to be professional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Irsh42 said:
Ok, here's a story from the other night while on duty... Me and my partner pull up on two unmarked units with their lights flashing and what looks like 3 officers with 2 in custody.. These units didn't look like any vehicle my PD has.. Keep in mind, this was at nearly midnight, county dispatch had not relayed to city dispatch that any state officer had anyone stopped... So we were suspicious.. The officers involved all had a "tac vest" on, along with a gun, radio and cuffs... Me any my partner had a duty belt, polo with fake bage in front and police on the back, with our "unit" being the mountain bikes we were on.... So you know what we did... We pulled up in front of them (closet to us and to a city camera), made our presence known, notified dispatched of what we had, and waved to one of the guys to come over... Guess what happened.... We all introduced ourselves, discussed what had happened and had some small chit chat... In that short time, dispatched advised us that what what we were being told was true and wanted to know if they were 10-1 (under control)...

No cursing, no drawing weapons, no "who's bigger contest", no arguing over jurisdiction... Just a pleasant conversation. I got to meet a couple troopers and probation agents, i ensured a fellow officer was 10-1 and I was able to relay some new drug information to my department.. All in all, a good deal...

It pays to be professional.

Why would anyone be on a mountain bike at midnight let alone on patrol? Am I correct you had real credentials on you somewhere?

May 27, 2013
NY
Squad-6 said:
Why would anyone be on a mountain bike at midnight let alone on patrol? Am I correct you had real credentials on you somewhere?

In the town that I think he works in, they do that... Don't ask me why, but they do. However most of the cops that I know of that are on bikes in that town are "cadets" or junior cops of some sort and don't carry and aren't full peace officers yet. Not sure about that though

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Squad-6 said:

FollowingNFront said:
In the town that I think he works in, they do that... Don't ask me why, but they do. However most of the cops that I know of that are on bikes in that town are "cadets" or junior cops of some sort and don't carry and aren't full peace officers yet. Not sure about that though

By real credentials, I'm assuming you mean being fully sworn/full arrest powers. If so, you would be correct. However, I do work part time (seasonal/6months) and I am assigned to the bicycle unit. Because my city is a beach town, along with the fact we have have several "liquor establishments" and problem areas within a 3 mile radius, we use bicycles to get into areas that vehicles can't get into or are just to much of a pita to try. It also allows for good PR with the masses because we can actually stop and talk with them instead just driving by and waving at them.

In reference to why I was on a bike at midnight, it was the weekend. Out-of-towners + in town trouble makers + a crap load of alcohol = an interesting night.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
How unprofessional and embarrassing. That could have gone bad in so many ways. Not to mention IF the people the officer pull over had ill intentions, an LEO could have been killed.

May 27, 2013
NY
Irsh42 said:
By real credentials, I'm assuming you mean being fully sworn/full arrest powers. If so, you would be correct. However, I do work part time (seasonal/6months) and I am assigned to the bicycle unit. Because my city is a beach town, along with the fact we have have several "liquor establishments" and problem areas within a 3 mile radius, we use bicycles to get into areas that vehicles can't get into or are just to much of a pita to try. It also allows for good PR with the masses because we can actually stop and talk with them instead just driving by and waving at them.

In reference to why I was on a bike at midnight, it was the weekend. Out-of-towners + in town trouble makers + a crap load of alcohol = an interesting night.
So you don't carry right?

I didn't know it was considered a beach town? The beach is at least 30 mins south on Route 1 though?

May 27, 2013
NY
jdh said:
How unprofessional and embarrassing. That could have gone bad in so many ways. Not to mention IF the people the officer pull over had ill intentions, an LEO could have been killed.

I agree. The State Trooper had every right to pull his gun IMO if they really have come across police impersonators. He did put it away immediately and it wasn't like he stood there pointing it... However, when he responded to the Bergen PD's question of "why do you have your gun out?" I feel it wasn't necessary to be so hostile.

What could have diffused it though, is the Bergen Sergeant. He came over like a thug cursing at the guy. He could have separated them and gotten the story from each of them, etc... That's what a leader does.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
FollowingNFront said:
So you don't carry right?

I didn't know it was considered a beach town? The beach is at least 30 mins south on Route 1 though?

Sadly, no. We're authorized to at the state level, but department politics interfeir with that.

I don't consider us much of tradional beach town, but the city has been pushing that theme hard lately. Out-of-staters do bar hop a lot though. Granted, slaughter beach is only like 5-10 mins outside of town.

Funny enough, my departments EMS district includes soutg bowers and some other beach areas. So really its open to interprataion.

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Squad-6 said:
Why would anyone be on a mountain bike at midnight let alone on patrol?

I had a guy respond to a multi-jurisdictional fire on his bike, in full turnout gear. (He said he was too drunk to drive the pumper.)

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Irsh42 said:
News anchor: "the embarrassing slut fest caught on camera"...

I wasn't the only one who heard that, right? Because if he said that, he totally lied...

I thought it was "slugfest".

Trooper wasn't really tactically aware. Like someone else said, call one of them over, from your position of cover, and once identified, it's good 'ol boy time.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Truck26 said:
I wonder how many tickets the next car stop received from that trooper

Oh you know that guy was on the warpath & looking for someone to stop and let it out on. What he should have done is found a quite place to have a Coke and smile and let his mind reset.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
JazzDad said:
I had a guy respond to a multi-jurisdictional fire on his bike, in full turnout gear. (He said he was too drunk to drive the pumper.)

If you're intoxicated to ANY level you have no place on the fire scene...

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Boy oh boy how you would be surprised how much that happens down here. We have local police officers pulled over in fully marked units by border patrol and searched and then we have local police pulling over fully marked border patrol units and searching them! We also have State troopers pulling over deputy sheriffs in fully marked patrol cars and vise versa!! Nobody trusts anyhone down here due to the fake patrol cars the drug cartels use to smuggle drugs..... And sadly sometimes they are real patrol cars with a real officer smuggling drugs!! Thats why we stop each other, Just on tuesday a local municipal poilce department "combes pd" pulled over a guy with a load of drugs in his truck and some ICE agents in an unmarked crappy grand marquis with some wig wags pulled up no uniform no decals no badge and we had an officer pull a gun on them because the ICE agents were packing heat and just sneakly walked behind us,i almost drew my gun on them also but they identifed themselfs just in time...

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Neither officer handled that situation all that well, but the plainclothes officer was WAY out of line. The Trooper had the right to be on high alert and absolutely had the right to pull his gun. Until such time that the Trooper knows beyond a reasonable doubt that the plainclothes is indeed an officer, he has every right to gun face him. Any officer that works plainclothes needs to realize that they have to submit to a uniformed officer when challenged. When plainclothes officers forget that fundamental point, they can easily wind up killed by friendly fire.

Plainclothes should have shut his mouth and shown ID.

Trooper had a right to be upset, cussing only made things worse... but it is what it is. I tend to get ramped up quickly when people are not obeying lawful orders, especially if I see a weapon or evidence of a weapon. Cop or not, the plainclothes needs to submit.

Glad the Superintendent is backing his Trooper.

Glad the Bergen County Chief is admitting that his officers were out of line.

Thankfully nobody was killed. All I can say is... Jersey sucks. Everything about it. It could slide into the ocean tomorrow and we wouldn't be missing a damn thing.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
mcpd2025 said:
... All I can say is... Jersey sucks. Everything about it. It could slide into the ocean tomorrow and we wouldn't be missing a damn thing.

C'mon now; don't hold your feelings in. It's not good for you. :dielaugh:

picone239

Jul 22, 2010
Paramus, NJ
mcpd2025 said:
Thankfully nobody was killed. All I can say is... Jersey sucks. Everything about it. It could slide into the ocean tomorrow and we wouldn't be missing a damn thing.

Chris Christie has us anchored pretty well.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
mcpd2025 said:

Because Maryland is such a better place to be?

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
NJEMT said:
Because Maryland is such a better place to be?
I said my qoute in partial jest, but since you raise the point... yes.

Same climate but more nice places. Chesapeake Bay, our Eastern Shore doesn't have Snooki, Annapolis is gorgeous, we have the mountains of Western Maryland and beautiful deep creek lake, we have the old settlements in Southern Maryland which are all situated on the water, we have the beautiful farmlands of Northern Maryland.

Jersey has Newark, which is great if you want to get rid of your car.

Jersey has the turnpike, which is great if you want to pitch a quarter in a basket every 25 feet.

Jersey has the MTV show, which is just horrible. You can't even find a way to spin that one...

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
This is why We have State Police, everyone is answerable to someone, nobody is above the law. Yes it could have been handled differently but on that piece of property I believe the Trooper was the man!! The important thing is although heated up they all went home that night. :D

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I was a 1st responder on a domestic violence call. 2nd on scene was a plain clothed sheriffs deputy. 3rd was a DNR LEO officer. As the DNR officer approached he naturally treated the SO as a civilian and potential threat. I could tell she was trying not to get upset but she knew better & submitted to the uniformed officer until I vouched for her. Then it was all "good ole boy" time. I knew the SO as she was in my EMT class, I also knew her before said class as well.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Squad-6 said:
I was a 1st responder on a domestic violence call. 2nd on scene was a plain clothed sheriffs deputy. 3rd was a DNR LEO officer. As the DNR officer approached he naturally treated the SO as a civilian and potential threat. I could tell she was trying not to get upset but she knew better & submitted to the uniformed officer until I vouched for her. Then it was all "good ole boy" time. I knew the SO as she was in my EMT class, I also knew her before said class as well.

The important question was why was she in plain clothes as a deputy on a domestic call and was she Hot? :yes:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
mcpd2025 said:
Jersey has the turnpike, which is great if you want to pitch a quarter in a basket every 25 feet.

You're thinking of the parkway... turnpike is the one you pay only once, as you leave. :p

I'm also more than happy here in SC and as a former Jersey resident I feel confident in my assessment of the state. The governor is too fat, taxes are too high, and there are too many "snookie" wanna bes.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Squad-6 said:

In my city, EVERY cruiser is equipped with a removable bike rack. You will typically have one or two on patrol at any given time that have a bike mounted to them per shift. It is not uncommon to see local police on bikes in the middle of the night, especially due to the local college campus.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.