NJ Light law confusion

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Am I missing something here, or am I right? After much confusion with the law, and people saying that the lights are useless, I have done some researching, and here is what I have found. I did not put this in another section because I do not think it applies, since it is questioning a specific law.

With that being said, here is what the law says about emergency lights for personal vehicles in NJ. Basically, you must obey all traffic laws, but you are treated the same way as an emergency vehicle. But that contradicts itself. For any vehicle to yield in the same way as R.S.39:4-92, you must clear all intersections and stop until that vehicle has cleared that intersection. With that being said, there is no reason why you cannot go through a red light after stopping. However, the law says you are not granted any privileges and cannot go through a red light. So technically, you are supposed to stop at a red light, and not go through, and all the vehicles with the green light, must stop and wait as well. This seems like a gray area of the law to me... What do you all think about this? Oh and the same applies for Chiefs who have red lights and sirens in their vehicles. They are not allowed to break any traffic laws, however they are emergency vehicles as defined by the law. The exact copies are provided below.

39:3-54.12. Rights of motor vehicle with emergency lights in operation.

“6. Nothing contained herein is intended to grant to any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and such members operating emergency warning lights shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey all the traffic laws of this State including R.S.39:4-81, provided, however, that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management operating emergency warning lights in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S.39:4-92.”

9:4-92. Authorized emergency vehicles; clearance for; following or parking near

“Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle giving audible signal, and equipped, as required by section 39:4-91 of this Title, and unless otherwise directed by a police or traffic officer,

(a) The driver of every vehicle shall immediately drive to a position as near as possible and parallel to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, clear of an intersection of highways, and shall stop and remain in that position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed and

( B) The driver or person in control of a street car shall immediately stop the car clear of an intersection of highways and keep it stationary until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

39:3-54.19. Subject to traffic laws; right-of-way or sirens; yielding right of way

This act shall not grant to any chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and persons displaying red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey the traffic laws of this State; but drivers of nonemergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company displaying red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S. 39:4-92.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 5, eff. May 31, 1985.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
NJ has some of the most screwed up emergency vehicle laws I've ever encountered.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Hoser said:
Sounds like NJ is supporting Courtesy Light laws.

Yes and no... it's stupid. Drivers are required by law to yeild to a flashing blue light but the operator of the vehicle with the light is restricted in passing through a controlled intersection and other such things.

NEW JERSEY STATE BLUE/RED LIGHT LAW

N.J.S.A. 39:3-54.12

Under NEW JERSEY STATE LAW, drivers of non-emergency vehicles

shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer

fire company or a volunteer first aid squad or rescue squad displaying

emergency warning lights as in the same manner as authorized

emergency vehicles (N.J.S.A. 39:4-92).

That is in addition to

theroofable said:
39:3-54.12. Rights of motor vehicle with emergency lights in operation.

“6. Nothing contained herein is intended to grant to any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and such members operating emergency warning lights shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey all the traffic laws of this State including R.S.39:4-81, provided, however, that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management operating emergency warning lights in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S.39:4-92.”

9:4-92. Authorized emergency vehicles; clearance for; following or parking near

“Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle giving audible signal, and equipped, as required by section 39:4-91 of this Title, and unless otherwise directed by a police or traffic officer,

(a) The driver of every vehicle shall immediately drive to a position as near as possible and parallel to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, clear of an intersection of highways, and shall stop and remain in that position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed and

( B) The driver or person in control of a street car shall immediately stop the car clear of an intersection of highways and keep it stationary until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

39:3-54.19. Subject to traffic laws; right-of-way or sirens; yielding right of way

This act shall not grant to any chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and persons displaying red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey the traffic laws of this State; but drivers of nonemergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company displaying red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S. 39:4-92.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 5, eff. May 31, 1985.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Well what the law says is that everyone must yield to you at any intersection as well. So why cant you go through if everyone must stop? The law needs to be further clarified...

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
theroofable said:
Well what the law says is that everyone must yield to you at any intersection as well. So why cant you go through if everyone must stop? The law needs to be further clarified...

Exactly. I tried writing my reps and never got any kind of response. It's a hazard for all vehicles on the road. As far as I'm concerned this courtousy light BS has to go, you're either a full-fledged EV or nothing at all.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
foxtrot5 said:
Exactly. I tried writing my reps and never got any kind of response. It's a hazard for all vehicles on the road. As far as I'm concerned this courtousy light BS has to go, you're either a full-fledged EV or nothing at all.

If only NY felt that way.... At least they had the sense a couple years back to rescind the "32 Candlewatt power light" part.... Now if only they truly appreciated their first responders like they claim they would give emergency vehicle status....

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
foxtrot5 said:
I wrote something before, actually got a response. Ill try to make something better and see if I can get a better response. Times change, and so should rules and regulations.

Bonanno said:
Wait until you read the technical restrictions on application of the lights...
Yeah they are pretty odd. I think the main problem is that they were written in 1985, for technology available in the 1980s. Then, it didnt make sense to have more than one or two lights because they were so large. Now is a different story. I think everything will be updated eventually, but when? Who knows.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Zapp Brannigan said:
If only NY felt that way.... At least they had the sense a couple years back to rescind the "32 Candlewatt power light" part.... Now if only they truly appreciated their first responders like they claim they would give emergency vehicle status....

I think it was 52, not 32 at least for NJ... but either way NOTHING met that requirement.

theroofable said:
I wrote something before, actually got a response. Ill try to make something better and see if I can get a better response. Times change, and so should rules and regulations.

Then you did better than me!

theroofable said:
Yeah they are pretty odd. I think the main problem is that they were written in 1985, for technology available in the 1980s. Then, it didnt make sense to have more than one or two lights because they were so large. Now is a different story. I think everything will be updated eventually, but when? Who knows.

Indeed. Best of luck to you!

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
yellowbird2900 said:
Seems like this state I live in... NJ otherwise known as state of confusion gives you the right to say "HEY EVERYONE I'MS A FIREMENZ EMTZ N I GOTZ A PWEDDY LIGHT.. LOOK AT IT. ITS USELESS!!!...Grrrrr... Who the heck makes these "laws" anyway?

Generally those who write laws like this have no connection what so ever to the industry/service that the laws truely affect.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.