NOS ? Mint Flash Ball

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
congrats Dan. i was wondering who bought it. if i hadn't seen it listed for sale i would have said you must have cranked up that time machine of yours again.

Last edited by a moderator:

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
you know i could have gotten it before you.......i saw it as it was listed on Ebay.........but have my hands full of projects at the moment! Very nice though!

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Great light Dan!

When your elves in the tree get a spare minute, see if they can make me one of the those!!! Any color will do!!!

Great grab!!

Chris

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Really thinking that would be sweet on the dash of the Nova...

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
I have one of those as well. I thought it was an older version with the tall flasher rather than the short stubby one. The hood and red plug are great!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Liberty703 said:
Really thinking that would be sweet on the dash of the Nova...

One of the first FBFs I ever saw was on the dash of a fully-loaded Superior/Chevy Type II ambulance. The truck had the usual front/rear/side tunnel lights and a pair of CP25 speakers over the cab, plus it had five Federal 175 hill light beacons up on the high top. I gues the Flash Ball was for people who couldn't see the other lights or hear the siren! :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaine B.

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Nice looking light, but the Flashball is incredibly boring, and I still can't figure out why they put it in the teardrop housing - a housing which was intended for a rotating light!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Blaine B. said:
Nice looking light, but the Flashball is incredibly boring, and I still can't figure out why they put it in the teardrop housing - a housing which was intended for a rotating light!

Which is exactly why they are more rare and to some of us more interesting than fireballs....

Blaine B.

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Absolutely. If I found one at a reasonable price I would definitely add it to my collection, as I have quite a number of teardrop lights as it is.

But rotating, oscillating, and other "wiggling" light patterns are the most visually satisfying for me, at least in terms of emergency equipment.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnMarcson said:
Which is exactly why they are more rare and to some of us more interesting than fireballs....

Not only that, John, but they came out during Federal's more "progressive" days when they went all out to produce products to please their customers. Remember, all the beacons that Federal produced aside from the 14s and 184s were variations of the original 17 that came out in1948. To please customers or to meet ever-increasing state and/or local regulations, Federal began producing variations of the 17 beginning with the 173 and the 174 and culminating with the 175 and 176. Along with that came split color domes, clear domes with colored sealed beams, the now-famous "California" light that featured a single steady-burn red sealed beam mounted in the front of the beacon skirt. And there were all the different mounting options, too. And don't forget my favorite: the Jr. Beacon Ray with all its mounting options, along with clear domes and colored magnifying lenses. They were introduced in 1958 at $65 and remained at that price (not counting extra-cost options) for many years.

So producing the FBF Flashball as a variation of the original Fireball is no great surprise. And it came at a lower cost. The FB-1 Fireball sold for $45 with the FBF Flashball at $22.50. Don't think you'll find them for that anymore!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.