Not enough lights 'n' sirens...

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
ERIC6913 said:
LOL, the emergency equipment is worth more than the rig!

I feel that pain too but THIS^ rig has a separate V-8 motor for the alternator!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Anyone have the address of where that rig is parked? I need to send a JDI salesman there.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So when this powers up, does the rest of the neighborhood go dark?.... lol

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
CrownVic97 said:
awww_professionalcarsociety_org_forums_attachment_php_097b742f215fb63ddbff50cbd45520f4._.jpg

Photo courtesy of Steve Loftin

I WaNt ThIs !!!! A holy grail if I ever saw one.!....
w00t%5B1%5D.gif

....video ftw... :thumbsup:

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
I remember units like this. No medical equipment under the squad bench, just five or six more 12 v batteries. Fortunately you could half the sealed beam flashing lights load because of an alternating flasher, but two 184 beacons and a Twin Sonic? Yeah, a couple of fireballs on the front cowl and some Vitalites on the rear wouldn't be overkill, would it?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
we've seen this rig before...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If I remember correctly there isn't much besides flasher actually on the rear of the vehicle. Of course the twin and dual beacons can be seen.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ful-vue said:
Needs a pair of Fireballs on the fenders.

Whoa.....you must be a mindreader! That was my thought, too. This appeared in the Fire/EMS vehicle media thread some time back, and I think I made the same comment. This is an old Wayne Care-O-Van ambulance, and many years ago a funeral home in Odessa had a pair of them. They went to a short-lived private service who eventually sold them to someone in Mexico. I liked both of them and had plans on trying to buy one, but they got away before I knew they were available.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
CrownVic97 said:

Nice! This could only be topped by the neat 1966 Pontiac station wagon ambulance that was built for Longview, TX FD. It sported five Dietz 211 beacons and three Qs roof-mounted. It ended up with a small private ambulance co. in Clovis, NM, minus two of the Qs. I got to go on a run in that wagon and it was sweet. :yes:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
from that pic it looks like a North American pushbutton siren.

Either that or maybe an early Whelen electronic siren. Whelen had a model (I don't remember the number) similar to the early WS295 series that had a turquoise green cover.

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
Wailer said:
Either that or maybe an early Whelen electronic siren. Whelen had a model (I don't remember the number) similar to the early WS295 series that had a turquoise green cover.

The first step is admitting you have a problem....................

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Wailer said:

I think he was messing with you, Wailer :thumbsup: . We all have problems......that's why we're here:haha: :crazy: :bonk: !!!

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
I'm willing to bet that Q or at least the mount came off a sedan ambulance. Not quite the right angle for that roof.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
toon80 said:
-Hey, up front!
-Yeah?

-Kill the Twinsonic, I gotta use the defibrilator!

That reminds me of something that actually happened to me late one Saturday night c.1971. My friend Henry Jackson, who was the first black cop at Texas Tech, grew up around a funeral home ambulance operation. He started working with my vol. ambulance service when it was still part of a REACT organization when we got the local racetrack's old ambulance in 1970. Henry had a nice red Ford wagon that we used as a backup unit. But about that time it was getting hard for people in the predominantly black part of town to get an ambulance quickly, so Henry bought a nice old '61 lwb Pontiac ambulance from the then-private ambulance co. in Clovis, NM. The rig came with triple beacons and a roof-mounted Q. But to this Henry added: a 77GB Federal doubletone siren to the rt. fender, twin blue lollipops between the Q and the front beacons and twin r/b Fireballs over the rear door. And to top if it off, he added a Federal Director with a speaker on the left fender. When the REACT club folded in '72 the ambulance service became totally mine, as I had procured a nice '63 Pontiac Consort ambulance from Summers Coach in Duncanville. On weekend nights that Henry got stuck on police duty at Tech I would pick up his Pontiac ambulance and take it to the races. I just loved driving that big rig! Well, one Saturday night while working the local short-track motorcycle races a kid fell and was run over by three or four other motorcycles, but his were the only injuries. We loaded him up and by his parents' directions we started in to the old West Texas Hospital in downtown Lubbock. Coming in I had the ambulance lit up but with light traffic I was only using the Director siren on yelp. But when we got into traffic I let loose on the Q, and the whole ambulance suddenly went dark....and stayed that way for a minute or two. A friend of mine who was a news photographer for one of the TV stations was with us that night and was up front with me. He stuck his big "sun gun" out the window and that bright light quickly began to clear traffic. Once we had cleared major traffic I was able to let up on the Q, and a minute or so later all the warning lights came back up. But the next time I had to use the siren, out they went again. So that Sunday we all converged on Henry's place to find out what was wrong. Turned out that all of the wires from the switch panel had been brought to a junction under the dash, twisted all together and shoved up on a hot spot on the fuse block. I don't know if that' something that Superior had done at the factory, or if a previous owner had done some wiring themselves. We spent the afternoon running the wiring outside to a junction that went to the battery, with a fuse block for the lighting. Never had a problem again, but it sure gave me some tense moments!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
rond said:
Makes me wonder how many lightbars are out of sight on the back of that rig.

Probably just an alternating flasher powering a pair of PAR-46 Weldon lights. I expect they spent all of their time and money on front warning lights. :crazy:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
Probably just an alternating flasher powering a pair of PAR-46 Weldon lights. I expect they spent all of their time and money on front warning lights. :crazy:

I would agree, since the front tunnels are Weldons. The side tunnels are sealed-beams.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.