Number 154: My Holy Grail piece / Video added 12/12/15 on page 2!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Well, after days of waiting for UPS and praying that they didn't destroy it The Light from Mars- Aurora Borealis number 154 arrived today! :D Drew (Ultimate D) packaged this so well a gorilla couldn't destroy it. Here are some quick pictures of it. This will be my ongoing project as I have time.

Known "issues": Flaking paint, dome has a large crack on the rear, motor is possibly shot, and one of the white lamp holders is missing a contact point.

It displays rather nicely and has quite some character. I especially like the stamped tag versus the sticker tag on newer ones.

IMAG0494.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

:fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl:

Last edited by a moderator:

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
I agree, it has a ton of character. Sweet find!

Question for you AB gurus out there... What is the lowest number (serial?) known to still exist?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
That's the oldest one I've seen so far on the interwebs. A stamped name plate AB......now that's a first. I'm certain you can get a contact point for the one oscillator assembly (hopefully since most hardware stores carry carbon contact points).

As for the motor, maybe take it to an electric motor shop and see if they can revive it? Never hurts to try :cool: .

Good score, Tsquale. It'll be an ongoing project for sure.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The Aurora Borealis is by far the neatest looking light bar ever made. I'd rank it number one if I were collecting light bars.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
a00e6ec9301f4395f14a6dc85aa2400b_view.jpg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions on the motor. I really appreciate it.

I knew the stamped tag was neat and that the SN was low, but I never thought it would be the oldest that some of you have seen. I was surprised at how sturdy the construction of it. It is built like a tank and heavy as can be.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
tsquale said:
Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions on the motor. I really appreciate it.

I knew the stamped tag was neat and that the SN was low, but I never thought it would be the oldest that some of you have seen. I was surprised at how sturdy the construction of it. It is built like a tank and heavy as can be.

Is it possible the brushes in the motor are corroded? I have an old Mars 888 that wouldn't spin and it ended up being the brushes for the motor. The light I had allowed me to access them via plugs and pull them out. This allowed me to clean em out and now the light works no problem.

just a suggestion.

dakarm34

May 21, 2010
Clemmons, NC
If you need a new set of copper contact plates I have a guy who makes them on a cnc machine and they are exact.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Nice, Tony. One of the few lights I've never seen up close or in operation, except for a recent video I saw of one somewhere here on the board. You will post a video when you're finished....won't you?? :yes:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Skip Goulet said:
Nice, Tony. One of the few lights I've never seen up close or in operation, except for a recent video I saw of one somewhere here on the board. You will post a video when you're finished....won't you?? :yes:

I had only seen one in pictures and videos prior to this. I will certainly post a video once finished, it just may not be until 2014!

dakarm34 said:
You'll love it Tony. Here's video of a few of my Mars bars. Search for 'mars attacks'.

I fired all three up at once. The aurora Borealis, Spectrasystem, and oscillating spectra. 2-EpTnjiCKQ[/MEDIA]

Thanks Steve! The longer it sits on the shelf, the more I like the "weathered" appearance of it. I think I will just get the motor going and call it good. The character really makes this.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
tsquale said:
I had only seen one in pictures and videos prior to this. I will certainly post a video once finished, it just may not be until 2014!

Very cool video! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Steve! The longer it sits on the shelf, the more I like the "weathered" appearance of it. I think I will just get the motor going and call it good. The character really makes this.

Patina and character!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Well I had some free time to dig deeper into the light and here is what I came up with.

All of the wiring is intact and in good/original condition. The gear mechanisms are all there as well. As stated before, the left side clear light is missing it's contact point (the hunt is on) and there is a crack in the rear of the dome which I have repaired with some clear silicone (a dome without a crack would be nice).

As for the motor, I believe it is shot. I did not have time to remove it to more closely examine it, but applying power to it got me nothing.

I have decided
not to strip the paint and get the metal refinished. Unlike other ABs I have seen, I do not think this originally have a chromed finish. The base is approximately 1/4" thick and has a coarse finish to it which makes it around 40lbs. Can other AB owner chime in about their bases? I was under the impression that the bases were all much thinner and smoothly finished but since this is an early model I am sure improvements were made as time went on.

I welcome all comments and suggestions or leads on where to find items or things to try.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I degreased the inside and polished the dome with Plastx. Looking at it from the front the dome could pass as new now. :thumbup:

Please forgive the low light and horrible cell phone quality picture...

uploadfromtaptalk1387515523519.jpg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
marslights said:
Ditto on the rough finish. Originality rules.

Thank you for including the photo! The underside of mine was left original (not painted red then white like the exterior) and is that same silvery color.

dakarm34

May 21, 2010
Clemmons, NC
If you decide to take it apart for a deep cleaning be careful with the alan heads, they're small and they are difficult. Here's a video before I replaced the copper contact plates, this one is longer.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dakarm34 said:
If you decide to take it apart for a deep cleaning be careful with the alan heads, they're small and they are difficult. Here's a video before I replaced the copper contact plates, this one is longer.

Nice! What is the small oscillating light just under the AB?

dakarm34

May 21, 2010
Clemmons, NC
The one under the AB is some oscillating Spectrasystem light. I don't know anything about it but it sounds like its marching

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dakarm34 said:
The one under the AB is some oscillating Spectrasystem light. I don't know anything about it but it sounds like its marching

I had a pair of the small Spectra bars several years ago. Both had the 3-lamp beacons to the outside with 888 lights to the inboard. That may be what I saw in the video.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
A quick update. I unfortunately have not gotten as far on this project as I had hoped, moving to a different state will do that to you though.

I am planning on taking the motor to a shop to see if they can get it going. If not, I may just grab a washing machine agitator and "retrofit" it.

I am also considering painting the base red. Looking at the tag, it is clear that it was once painted red and I think it would really pop. I wouldn't be sanding down the current aging effects, just going over it to keep the cracks and flakes. I will be sure to include photos should this happen.

dakarm34

May 21, 2010
Clemmons, NC
If you need new and exact copper contact plates let me know. I had a guy make me a set on a cnc machine and they are spot on. He still has the programming of the plates so he can make them anytime.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
dakarm34 said:
If you need new and exact copper contact plates let me know. I had a guy make me a set on a cnc machine and they are spot on. He still has the programming of the plates so he can make them anytime.

I will keep that in mind, thanks!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Here are the results after 2 coats of paint. I am very happy with the results. I will add more photos once the paint is dry and I get the dome back on. My camera phone photos do not do it justice.

IMAG0676.jpg

IMAG0677.jpg

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Nice, it does pop from all the rest. All you need now is a nice fire apparatus to display it on. ;) :p

I liked the white too it was very Ambulancey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tsquale
Here's my chrome base...also heavy. I've seen the same motor used in other Mars lights and it appears the gearbox is bolted to the motor (I would take the gearbox off and check the motor again). The contact brushes are Bakelite and very fragile--be careful--also used in other Mars lights from the era. I checked into starting a run for vacu-formed plexiglass--way too expensive! But there is a plexiglass shop here in town--I'll stop in this week to see what they recommend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405879975.257882.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405880027.741440.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405880091.863410.jpg

Reactions: tsquale

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instinq

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.