NYPD ESU fast rappelling from Helicopter

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
The NYPD ESU fast rappelling from an Aviation Unit helicopter in a demonstration of their abilities and tactics. Video by me.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Boooo, fast-rope from 50'+!!!

Not knocking ESU, but come on, coulda jumped out of the chopper at that height, landed on your feet and been fine!! :crazy:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
That looked like fat old guys "slow roping." As much as I respect them and think they are an elite unit, NYPD ESU is IMHO by far the most (collectively) overweight & oldest-looking group of SRT/SWAT operators; put them up against guys from LAPD, Dallas, or Miami in a physical fitness test, & I think they'd get their butts handed to them

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
pdk9 said:
That looked like fat old guys "slow roping." As much as I respect them and think they are an elite unit, NYPD ESU is IMHO by far the most (collectively) overweight & oldest-looking group of SRT/SWAT operators; put them up against guys from LAPD, Dallas, or Miami in a physical fitness test, & I think they'd get their butts handed to them

We have the coolest hair. :cool:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Zapp Brannigan said:
Boooo, fast-rope from 15 feet!!!

Not knocking ESU, but come on, coulda jumped out of the chopper at that height, landed on your feet and been fine!! :crazy:

fixed it for you... if you look they take about 3 grasps to fall. cant be more than 15 - 20 feet off the ground

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Curious how many of you commenting on fast roping have ever done it or just became arm-chair commandos from the safety of YouTube.

It was developed to put troops on target where a) landing isn't possible, b)the danger to the airframe doesn't justify it, and other tactical considerations are at play. The vast majority of "ropes " in combat are at heights <20'. With that, roping from heights > 60' is stupid, serves little purpose, and puts guys at undue risk. But if you want to dazzle airsofters and Soldier of Fortune subscribers have at it - I will stick to air-land and roping only when necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nycapt7112

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Surgicalcric said:
Curious how many of you commenting on fast roping have ever done it or just became arm-chair commandos from the safety of YouTube.

It was developed to put troops on target where a) landing isn't possible, b)the danger to the airframe doesn't justify it, and other tactical considerations are at play. The vast majority of "ropes " in combat are at heights <20'. With that, roping from heights > 60' is stupid, serves little purpose, and puts guys at undue risk. But if you want to dazzle airsofters and Soldier of Fortune subscribers have at it - I will stick to air-land and roping only when necessary.

Only makes sense to minimize the risks whenever possible - why rope from 60' up if you can SAFELY rope from 20'?

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Funny this has come up, I'm in helicopter training for the USAF right now and we were talking about AIEs today (alternate insertion methods). Speaking with a bunch of very experienced pilots, if you can land, you land. It's really hard to hold a helicopter in a perfect high hover and the risks to the insertion members is really high. They're just holding onto a rope so the lower the better. The highest real-world fast rope one of the guys did was from 8 feet- too high to safely jump but they couldn't land either. He said the high fast ropes are only for the "cool" factor- best kept to demonstrations and photo ops for your unit's webpage.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
1. It's Emergency Service, not Services

2. Are you sure that was the ESU memorial, not the Special Operations Division memorial?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Jarred J. said:
fixed it for you... if you look they take about 3 grasps to fall. cant be more than 15 - 20 feet off the ground

Nope, what I MEANT to say was...

Zapp Brannigan said:
Boooo, fast-rope from 50'+!!!

Oh wait, that IS what I said!! :duh:

I know what I said, and meant what I said. I am aware how high they actually are, but thanks for playing. I was intending to mean "impress me BY fast-roping from 50+ feet", not the 15-20' in the video.

Enjoy the rest of your evening! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
OHH I see now.... I thought you were trying to say BOOOOOOOO fast rope from 50 feet (as in height of current image)

I interpreted your messgage as booo only 50 feet?( why not go higher 100 +).... to which I was seeing that your judgement was off and that they were only 15 - 20 feet off the ground..

gotcha.

its all in the interpretation, clear as mud :D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.