NYPD Light and Siren combos

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
I am slowly collecting parts to build the 1973 Signal Stat bar.

I have:

The correct crossbar, although it is labeled "Smith & Wesson", it was made by Sig-Stat, and is 100% correct for NYPD.

The pair of 374 beacons with Sig-Stat clear domes.

The pair of Trio T-2 can lights with correct bulbs. (they were sold by Sig-stat as model #672)

I have the correct siren speaker for 1976 and newer, but am still searching for the 1973 speaker. Unfortunately the 1976 speaker got a good DING in it from shipping.

Once I find that elusive speaker, I will put it all together.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_1294493319.jpg

Deputy20

Apr 3, 2011
Brevard County, Fl.
CFD125 said:
I am slowly collecting parts to build the 1973 Signal Stat bar.

I have:

The correct crossbar, although it is labeled "Smith & Wesson", it was made by Sig-Stat, and is 100% correct for NYPD.

The pair of 374 beacons with Sig-Stat clear domes.

The pair of Trio T-2 can lights with correct bulbs. (they were sold by Sig-stat as model #672)

I have the correct siren speaker for 1976 and newer, but am still searching for the 1973 speaker. Unfortunately the 1976 speaker got a good DING in it from shipping.

Once I find that elusive speaker, I will put it all together.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_1294493319.jpg

Hello CFD125, Wow! Where are you finding this stuff? I have always loved that particular NYPD lightbar, and have been looking to get my hands on one for a while, or start locating parts to build one, but this stuff is hard to find! You have the 374 4-bulb beacons with the clear domes> Again, Wow! I own a Fury (restored NYPD which is used in parades excorting NYPD retiree's 10-13 club). Even though it's an 80's Gran Fury, I have seen a few photos of that light bar set up on some early 80's cars, prior to the Aerotwins replacing the Signal Stat bars. I have an Aerotwin on the car now, but would seriously consider putting a SIgnal Stat bar on it, which to me just looks so much more NYPD on those older blue cars! Either way, I want to get my hands on a bar like that! If you can point me in the right direction for some of the parts that would be great! Or you might be surprised how much I'd be willing to pay $$$ if you know someone (or yourself) who would want to sell theirs? I know they are hard to come by, and there's no way I'd insult you with a stupid low offer. Name your price! I know collectors finds are important to them, especially hard to find items, and items they've worked hard on, but what would you value yours at ($)? I'm currently on my 27th year in law enforcement, and there are times I kick myself in the back end when I think of the goodies I could have gotten my hands on years ago, but let slip away! Congrtats on finding this stuff! Chris Brevard County, Fla.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
He doesn't have all the sirens on his web site. If he's going to include the 1973 setup with dual beacons, he needs photos and descriptions of the Signal Stat Stat VI - VIII sirens.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Very neat website, but I noticed one thing missing. The Julian McDermott Co. in NYC made some odd-looking lightbars for the NYPD cars that almost towered over the cars. They were a mix of flashing lights and beacons. I'm almost sure that McDermott still has some of them in production.

richie10

May 12, 2012
naigarafalls NY
The Julian McDermott Co....Thanks for the info on that ! Friends back home were trying to figure out what were on top of these FDNY SUVs when some of us were deployed to the ground zero piles back in 2001 Them multi level tower & super grille lights were big and gaudy looking :haha:

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
richie10 said:
The Julian McDermott Co....Thanks for the info on that ! Friends back home were trying to figure out what were on top of these FDNY SUVs when some of us were deployed to the ground zero piles back in 2001 Them multi level tower & super grille lights were big and gaudy looking :haha:

Older battalion vehicles used McDermott bars, newer ones used Whelen Hi-Riser bars. The newest crop of GMC's uses neither. Pics are from fdnytrucks.com:

FDNYBN18-A.jpg

FDNYBN18.jpg

FDNYBN10.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I've always loved the FDNY Suburban Batt-mobiles, but the McDermott lights made some of them a bit gawdy. Odessa Fire Dept. had a big Ford Excursion that had an elevating light tower on it, with an LED bar up front and LED grille lights. It was replaced a year or so ago with a Chevy Tahoe which is much nicer and eliminated the light tower. Along with the LED bar and grille lights, the Tahoe has a Whelen electronic siren and an Eagle siren. I was a bit skeptical when OFD went with the Eagle sirens on all their new ambulances plus the Tahoe, but to be such a small siren, they're louder than they look; and the OFD people love 'em.

I was just looking at some pictures a friend sent me that were some of the hightop Suburban ambulances used here in Texas: some of which eventually ended up as Batallion Chief units. There were two primary builders here in Texas: The Gordon K. Allen Co., which was the parent co. of Modular Ambulance Corporation (i.e. the big Mayfair Ambulances on Emergency!) and Summers Coach and Ambulance. Both companies started with lowtop Suburbans and then "graduated". The way to tell which was which was by the tunnel lights built into the high roof. GKA/MAC used sealed beam tunnel lights with two front and two rear and on the sides at extra cost. Summers used sealed beams behind the plastic lenses seen on the DoRay and Unity lollipop lights, with four lights to the front (usually 2 red, 2 blue) and two to the rear. Both companies produced excellent products. It's a shame that both went by the wayside eventually.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.