?NYPD Tahoe at Manhole fire

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Hybrid, hmm.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Not too bad of an install. Maybe an FDNY higher up who was in the area and decided to stop by...? So many ideas being NYC. I wanna know why that truck from GelTech has white LEDs front and back...

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Retail Hybrid, if NYPD- Patrol Boro or equivalant Commander or HQ level ranking officer, otherwise FDNY or OEM equivalant

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
definitely NYPD commander IMHO.

a few observations of the video that i had to make:

1) the guy filming is an idiot (no surprise there) and captain obvious

2) the tahoe pulling up is exactly why i hate that so many people in NYC (PD w/ the smartsirens and the older FD units with the PA300) just use the manual siren tap...even though pedestrians always walk out in front of you and ignore the siren when you're going code 3 (and then look up at you like a deer in the headlights when they're directly in the middle of the street), i keep my siren on yelp or hyperyelp whenever near a crosswalk b/c it warns the very few observant pedestrians that I'm going through AND I like to leave dumb, ignorant pedestrians with a 200W headache when they cut me off (courtesy of whelen). Also that would've sucked if he got in an MVA with that van or bus: the van driver wasn't paying attention to one of the few unmarked city vehicles that I've seen w/ adequate side warning in Manhattan (but the tahoe driver should've had his siren still taking that busy intersection against the light) and the MTA driver would've been fucked if they collided b/c "cops are always right" (JK lol) and the light was turning red as he tried to get through the intersection (you can tell b/c when the pedestrian hand goes to steady burn red, then the traffic light turns orange simultaneously)

3) anyways, that truck is awesome...just needs a better driver

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
lafd55 said:
Not too bad of an install. Maybe an FDNY higher up who was in the area and decided to stop by...? So many ideas being NYC. I wanna know why that truck from GelTech has white LEDs front and back...

Cam said:
Kind of odd to see them out there, maybe out to give a demo to ConEd?

And here it is...

GalTech said:
GelTech Solutions Teams up with Con Edison to Fight Manhole Fires & Enhance Public Safety

XVI - 11/30/2012

December 3, 2012 - Jupiter, FL -- GelTech Solutions, Inc. (OTCBB: GLTC), creators of FireIce, a revolutionary water enhancing fire suppressant that has the potential to change current firefighting techniques, announces the beginning of a three month pilot program with Con Edison (NYSE: ED) to use FireIce to combat manhole fires..

"After a thorough and comprehensive two year evaluation of fire suppressant products, including independent laboratory testing, Con Edison has chosen FireIce for field testing for use on electrical manhole fires, “ stated Peter Cordani, chief technology officer, GelTech Solutions, Inc. “In controlled testing, FireIce has proven to be the most effective and efficient product at quickly extinguishing these fires."

Michael Cordani, chief executive officer, GelTech Solutions, stated, “We are excited to team with Con Edison to participate in this pilot program. Their selection of FireIce is further testament to the efficacy of this game changing product. Demonstrating the ability of FireIce to combat manhole fires in New York will be a major stepping stone toward testing FireIce in other major cities.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Why would ConEd be fighting the fire.... Let the fire department do that, yea use an extinguisher but if you can't put it out with that then call in the FDNY...

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
I would guess it has something to with putting it out before they get there when crews are working at a manhole. Not sure. I guess it's their manhole and their transformer on fire so if get want to put it out...

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
pdk9 said:
and the MTA driver would've been fucked if they collided b/c "cops are always right"

Actually, with rare exception, an NYPD Police Officer/Detective/Sergeant involved in an MVA while in Emergency Operation is determined to be "at fault".

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
pdk9 said:
definitely NYPD commander IMHO.

a few observations of the video that i had to make:

1) the guy filming is an idiot (no surprise there) and captain obvious

He may be an idiot but if you mute the sound, he has some decent "on scene" videos!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
That's why I said

pdk9 said:
b/c "cops are always right" (JK lol)
(I was just joking cuz my buddies are cops and I always bust their chops about getting in the way of fire rescur but always being right, etc.)

But this is a badass truck nonetheless and I would take it any day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.