NYPD unmarked units 00’s

Peanutman

May 18, 2021
Netherlands
What siren did the NYPD use in the late 90’s/begin 00’s? I noticed in video’s that the old NYPD unmarked units had a cherrytop light on the dashboard, what type of flashing light is that? And where there beside the flashing lights and wig-wags also other additional lights on the vehicle?

Reactions: kitn1mcc

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
With very rare exception the Smartsiren and it's revisions have been the NYPD standard since the 1991 vehicle model year. Teardrop lights were generally the lowest bid brand in a vehicle spec, but for a time I remember red mirror-less Code3 Dashlasers were used. Unmarked 94-96 Caprices actually had round mirror plates drilled down to the top center of the instrument panel for attaching magnet mount dash lights. Often the assignment of the car & what funds were used to purchase or lease it determined the extent of it's upfitting.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
For some reason I can't edit my post above- it should say ....round mounting plates drilled down to the top center....

Peanutman

May 18, 2021
Netherlands
With very rare exception the Smartsiren and it's revisions have been the NYPD standard since the 1991 vehicle model year. Teardrop lights were generally the lowest bid brand in a vehicle spec, but for a time I remember red mirror-less Code3 Dashlasers were used. Unmarked 94-96 Caprices actually had round mirror plates drilled down to the top center of the instrument panel for attaching magnet mount dash lights. Often the assignment of the car & what funds were used to purchase or lease it determined the extent of it's upfitting.
Thanks for your reply. But where there beside the teardrop also other lights that were used?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Until the sometime in the 90s it was uncommon for unmarked cars outside of HWY Patrol and select units to have grill lights unless installed in the field by officers. The most common lights were trunk lid lights that were relocated to behind the grill. Flashing deck lights would come a little later.

Reactions: Peanutman

Peanutman

May 18, 2021
Netherlands
Until the sometime in the 90s it was uncommon for unmarked cars outside of HWY Patrol and select units to have grill lights unless installed in the field by officers. The most common lights were trunk lid lights that were relocated to behind the grill. Flashing deck lights would come a little later
But what type of trunk lid lights and deck lights were eventually used? I saw in some youtube videos deck lights that looked like a whelen dashmaster but I'm not sure.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
They evolved from the Signal-Stat/Dietz/Grote lollipops thru FedSig (halogen then LED) SML1s in the trunk & grill and SML2s in the rear deck thru until whatever they're using now- I'm out since 2005 so I haven't kept current.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
What siren did the NYPD use in the late 90’s/begin 00’s? I noticed in video’s that the old NYPD unmarked units had a cherrytop light on the dashboard, what type of flashing light is that? And where there beside the flashing ligh
Scientific Prototypes Mark VII were the sirens in the 80's - 90's. Phased out end of 90's early 2000's for FS.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.