NYPD use Green Lights

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
Saw a few of these in the brooklyn area. I noticed the green revolving lamp on the drivers upper rear roof to the side. I have seen it lighted up sometimes.

Second nypd pic you can see it onthe pass front side roof

What is the purpose of a green light on a ESU or NYPD truck?

Didnt know they were used as a police color except in Puertorico.

NYCPD_Command_Post_4077.jpg

ta102.jpg

tb103.jpg

ta104.jpg

2655755127_856156ecd1_z.jpg

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
The green light on that Mobile command unit is a bad example since most green IC lights are on a light tower or something extendable so it can be seen over other vehicles. Technically green is also used for volunteer EMS in NY too. You can see the green light on this FDNY command units is on an extendable pole.

afarm7.staticflickr.com_6004_5944408633_8a71cd5b6c_z.jpg

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
Both photos show the same vehicle; 4077, so there is a green "Command" light mounted on adjcent corners.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
Hollywood said:
Both photos show the same vehicle; 4077, so there is a green "Command" light mounted on adjcent corners.

oh ok thanks for noting that, i didnt even realize, i was just distracted by all them cool lights lol:)

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
The 2nd 3rd and 4th pics that are of police cars from puerto rico not NYPD, I believe that they use blue and green lights for township police.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
NJEMT said:
The 2nd 3rd and 4th pics that are of police cars from puerto rico not NYPD, I believe that they use blue and green lights for township police.

He did metion that just above the NYPD command rig picture ;)

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
NJEMT said:

thanks ,yeah i know they from PR, i said that in the thread i was just comparing them since they had green too and some weird green color combos:)

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
As noted, a green light indicates HQ/Field Command Post, I'm fairly certain that's universal for either public safety or military or both. In any case it's never illuminated when the vehicle is in motion so it's not a VTL issue.

We used different terminology before adapting IMS- a Field Command Post was a Temporary Headquarters, a Field Command Post Vehicle was a Temporary Headquarters Vehicle[THV]).

Additionally NYPD Police precincts have always had some variation of green lights at the front doors denoting it as a Police Station, I believe that's fairly universal too.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
CHIEFOPS said:
As noted, a green light indicates HQ/Field Command Post, I'm fairly certain that's universal for either public safety or military or both. In any case it's never illuminated when the vehicle is in motion so it's not a VTL issue.
We used different terminology before adapting IMS- a Field Command Post was a Temporary Headquarters, a Field Command Post Vehicle was a Temporary Headquarters Vehicle[THV]).

Additionally NYPD Police precincts have always had some variation of green lights at the front doors denoting it as a Police Station, I believe that's fairly universal too.

Thanks for clearing it up brother. My buddy told me the reason why they had green at the pct doors was because it originated by the first Irish cops in NYPD LOL true i guess :)

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
The green light on the NYPD station houses stems back to the 1800s when the constable on patrol used to carry a green lantern for recognition. That is also rumored to be the reason that NYPD vehicles were green. To keep them recognizable as the police officer on patrol. The green vehicles stayed around until the first blue and whites debuted in 1973.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
AerodyMANIAC said:
thanks ,yeah i know they from PR, i said that in the thread i was just comparing them since they had green too and some weird green color combos:)

Did not see that

one11sgt

Nov 27, 2010
USA NY
pc0k894 said:
The green light on the NYPD station houses stems back to the 1800s when the constable on patrol used to carry a green lantern for recognition. That is also rumored to be the reason that NYPD vehicles were green. To keep them recognizable as the police officer on patrol. The green vehicles stayed around until the first blue and whites debuted in 1973.

This is true. The Officers would carry the lanterns for recognition but they would also leave them outside any building they went into to tell other officers and the pubic that there was a police officer inside this building. That tradition is why all precincts and command posts have a green light outside them, to tell you "there is a police officer inside here".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.