Nys emergency light law

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptD

Feb 28, 2011
NY
So I was reading NYS VTL on emergency light laws and I was trying to figure out what color light or if any light could be affixed to the side and rear of a vehicle owned by NYS volunteer firefighter. I didn't see any in there saying you could or couldn't affix side and rear lighting it seems its left up to interpretations . I know some firefighters who have red in the back or blue or amber. I'm trying to find out what I can legally do to my truck where my a cop can't break my balls. also about forward facing lights is it just me or does that seem a little left up to interpretations. Thanks down below is NYS VTL on emergency lights

§ 375 (41). Colored and flashing lights.

41. Colored and flashing lights. The provisions of this subdivision shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than those lights required by law. 1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.

2. Red lights and certain white lights. One or more red or combination red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while returning from an alarm of fire or other emergency.

3. Amber lights. a. One or more amber lights may be affixed to a hazard vehicle, and such a light or lights which display an amber light visible to all approaching traffic under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle shall be displayed on a hazard vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in a hazardous operation. Such light or lights shall not be required to be displayed during daylight hours provided at least two red flags visible from a distance of five hundred feet are placed both in or on the front of, and to or on the rear of the vehicle and two such flags are placed to each side of the vehicle open to traffic. Such lights or flags need not be displayed on the vehicle when the vehicle is operating, or parked, within a barricaded work area and said lights or flags are displayed on the barricade. The provisions of this subdivision shall not prohibit the temporary affixing and display of an amber light to be used as a warning on a disabled motor vehicle or on a motor vehicle while it is stopped on a highway while engaged in an operation which would restrict, impede or interfere with the normal flow of traffic.

b. In any city in this state having a population of one million or more, one amber light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned or operated by a volunteer member of a civilian or crime patrol provided such volunteer civilian or crime patrol member has been authorized in writing to so affix an amber light by the police commissioner of the municipality in which he patrols, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the police commissioner who issued the same or his successor in office. Such amber light may be operated by such volunteer civilian or crime patrol member in such a vehicle only when engaged in a patrol operation as defined and authorized by rules and regulations promulgated by the police commissioner and only in such a manner and at such times as may be authorized by the police commissioner pursuant to said rules and regulations.

4. Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in subparagraph b of this paragraph.

b. In addition to the red and white lights authorized to be displayed pursuant to paragraph two of this subdivision, one or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, fire vehicle, ambulance, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and county emergency medical services vehicle provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle, fire vehicle, ambulance, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and county emergency medical services vehicle for rear projection only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle, fire vehicle, ambulance, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and county emergency medical services vehicle obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on such vehicles, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicles. Such lights may be displayed on a police vehicle, fire vehicle, ambulance, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and county emergency medical services vehicle when such vehicles are engaged in an emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subparagraph shall be deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on police vehicles, fire vehicles, ambulances, emergency ambulance service vehicles, and county emergency medical services vehicles unless such vehicles also display one or more red or combination red and white lights as otherwise authorized in this subdivision.

c. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations relating to the use, placement, power and display of blue lights on a police vehicle and fire vehicle.

5. Green light. One green light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a member of a volunteer ambulance service, or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family, or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he is employed, provided such member has been authorized in writing to so affix a green light by the chief officer of such service as designated by the members thereof. Such green light may be displayed by such member of a volunteer ambulance service only when engaged in an emergency operation.

As used in this paragraph volunteer ambulance service means: a. a non-profit membership corporation (other than a fire corporation) incorporated under or subject to the provisions of the membership corporations law, or any other law, operating its ambulance or ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members thereof and their families or of the community or under a contract with a county, city, town or village pursuant to section one hundred twenty-two-b of the general municipal law; or

b. an unincorporated association of persons operating its ambulance or ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members and their families or of the community.

6. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate regulations with respect to the affixing and display of colored lights and to promulgate specifications with respect to such lights.

7. The provisions of this subdivision forty-one shall not be applicable to vehicles from other states or from the Dominion of Canada which have entered this state to render police, fire or civil defense aid, or ambulance service, while such vehicles are here or are returning to their home stations if the lights on such vehicles comply with the laws of their home states or the Dominion of Canada and are displayed in this state in the same manner permitted by their home states or the Dominion of Canada, nor shall the provisions of this subdivision forty-one be deemed to amend, supersede or in any manner affect the provisions of the New York state defense emergency act as now in force or as it may be amended from time to time.

8. The provisions of this subdivision shall not be applicable to the driver of a vehicle from another state or foreign jurisdiction which vehicle has colored lights affixed but not revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving if the lights on such vehicle comply with the laws of the state or home foreign jurisdiction in which the vehicle is registered.

Back to Section List

Last edited by a moderator:

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I think there are about 32 threads along these lines so far. Generally, you can get away with a blue lightbar, give or take depending on who's in charge in your department.

CaptD

Feb 28, 2011
NY
lotsofbars said:
I think there are about 32 threads along these lines so far. Generally, you can get away with a blue lightbar, give or take depending on who's in charge in your department.

I couldnt find any pertaining to NYS

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
It says it in the first sentence, "Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department ... "

or for Volunteer EMS, "Green light. One green light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a member of a volunteer ambulance service ... "

Volunteers are allowed one light. Do people obide by it? Some do, most don't.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
As someone who lives in NYS, I can say that most vollies in my CNY area use a blue dashlight and/or a fullsized or mini lightbar and there aren't any issues and the law enforcement couldn't care less as long as nobody abuses it.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
CaptD said:
So I was reading NYS VTL on emergency light laws and I was trying to figure out what color light or if any light could be affixed to the side and rear of a vehicle owned by NYS volunteer firefighter. I didn't see any in there saying you could or couldn't affix side and rear lighting it seems its left up to interpretations . I know some firefighters who have red in the back or blue or amber. I'm trying to find out what I can legally do to my truck where my chief, Capt, or LT can't break my balls. also about forward facing lights is it just me or does that seem a little left up to interpretations.

Here's how it works:

First, V&T authorizes one blue or green light with no corollaries like 360 degree visibility. We all know it's antiquated, but it is what it is.

Second, amber is pretty vague in the V&T. Some departments are accepting of volunteers supplementing their courtesy lights with amber to the rear. Some accept red to the rear, but it can be viewed as shaky from a legal standpoint. Very few of us like mixing hazard and emergency colors to the front and sides as it sends a mixed message to the traffic around you.

Third, some departments insist that their members follow the letter and the spirit of the law. Others are more lenient, but usually set some boundaries.

So, when you say you are looking for what you can legally do so your Chief won't bust your balls, you're looking to use the V&T to allow you to put more lights on your truck than your department finds acceptable. Bad move. Your department sets the guidelines and that's what you should stick with and accept.

Trying to buck department guidelines by holding the V&T over the Chief's head is only going to cause friction. If you piss him off, he can hold you to the one light rule and you are stuck with it.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
If you really want to 'sea lawyer', you can get away with a lightbar, since it is one light assembly. Same goes for a dashlight with multiple heads (a la Dual Talon, etc). The law wasn't written for LED lights, which by their nature have multiple light sources inside each lighthead, making the law vague at best. Is each LED diode a 'light'? Or is a 'light' a lighthead? Or is it the entire light assembly? The law doesn't specify.

In short, if a cop wrote you for having an all blue lightbar, I'm confident you could beat it in court using the above logic.

If you want max lighting output while staying within the confines of the law, I'd go with a roof mounted lightbar in either all blue, or blue to the front and blue/amber to the rear. If you want an interior setup, I'd go with an all blue interior lightbar to the front and whatever you want in amber to the rear. I personally have an obnoxious lighting setup (I volunteer in NY), most of which is left over from when I was a volly in Mississippi. I simply removed the red to the front and replaced it with blue, resulting in blue to the front and red to the rear. Haven't had anyone say anything about it, but your mileage may vary. I also don't drive like a d!ckhead, and that goes a long way.

This is all a moot point if your chief doesn't want you having more than a single blue dashlight.

CaptD

Feb 28, 2011
NY
let me clarify in my dept you can have more then one light my chiefs really don't care unless you are driving like a complete dick, hell before 2 of them became chief they had a shit ton of light in their pov, my Capt has a shit ton of lights and red to the rear. alot of people in my dept have more then one light. Also 90% of the time I use one light or none its for when we have a real job ill use them all. What Im worried about is a cop writes me for stopping at a mva if no one else is there and i turn on my lights for my safety and my patients.

JCUMMINS

Mar 5, 2011
Western NY
CaptD said:
let me clarify in my dept you can have more then one light my chiefs really don't care unless you are driving like a complete dick, hell before 2 of them became chief they had a shit ton of light in their pov, my Capt has a shit ton of lights and red to the rear. alot of people in my dept have more then one light. Also 90% of the time I use one light or none its for when we have a real job ill use them all. What Im worried about is a cop writes me for stopping at a mva if no one else is there and i turn on my lights for my safety and my patients.

Like most have said, either directly or in-directly, you probably wouldn't have a problem with law enforcement as long as you are being responsible. However, all it takes is someone having a bad day and legally you could be in trouble. I ,like your chiefs, had my truck looking like a xmas tree before I advanced in ranks and may have even exceeded the posted speed limit a time or two and never had an issue, but I always knew it was possible.

Just my :twocents:

Joe

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
CaptD said:

Clarify? That's not even close to what you said in your original post and that's what everyone has replied to up until now. Now you've edited it (poorly) to say you don't want a hassle with a cop instead of your line officers. Luckily, I quoted your original in my first post before you changed it so everyone can continue to see what you first stated. Here's what you said:

Originally Posted by CaptD

So I was reading NYS VTL on emergency light laws and I was trying to figure out what color light or if any light could be affixed to the side and rear of a vehicle owned by NYS volunteer firefighter. I didn't see any in there saying you could or couldn't affix side and rear lighting it seems its left up to interpretations . I know some firefighters who have red in the back or blue or amber. I'm trying to find out what I can legally do to my truck where my chief, Capt, or LT can't break my balls. also about forward facing lights is it just me or does that seem a little left up to interpretations.

I don't see how any of us could have possibly interpreted that to mean that you actually wanted to avoid hassles with cops and that your line officers were ok with extra lights. You were asking us to to help you find a way to use V&T to keep your chief off your ass. Now the story is all different and you never meant what you first said? Phooey!

Give it a rest. The issue of legality, quantity, and courtesy lights (especially here in NYS) has been beat to death here on elb. It is what it is, and no amount of outhouse lawyering is gonna change it. Do what your department allows, and no more. Don't drive like a dick and the cops will probably leave you alone. Be a whacker at a scene and you'll likely pay the price.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Really? How many of these people or going to keep putting stuff up for NY. It's all over if you take the time to look in the search funtion and look into other places this shit been posted at.

As for your Questin your name is Capt D if you are a Capt. you should know by now what the laws are. :bonk:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
chief1565 said:
Really? How many of these people or going to keep putting stuff up for NY. It's all over if you take the time to look in the search funtion and look into other places this shit been posted at.
As for your Questin your name is Capt D if you are a Capt. you should know by now what the laws are. :bonk:

Lets also look back at some prior postings from the same individual: :no:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/emergency-light-laws-across-u-s-26225/ (His OWN Thread started back on 1/26/12) :drooling:

CaptD said:
is there a thread for all emergency light laws across the U.S. for fd pd pov's ex..
There is/was, he just felt a need to post a NEW thread ASKING if there was instead of even trying to look for it himself...

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/national-light-laws-24442/index3.html#post211791 (posting from 1/18/12) :undecided:

CaptD said:
Heres one problem that might occure in ny. I live in ny im a volly ff im aloud 1 blue in the front and thats it not siren nothing to the side or rear just one light. Im not gonna lie to you and say i have one light bc i dont i have 4 blue grille, 2 blue hide aways, 2 blue avengers and 1 red/amber to the rear. i would love to have more a siren more lights ex... be an emerg vehicle but i dont want to have to switch all my lights over to red nd spend a shit ton of $$$ bc it fits a ff. In NYS the only people aloud blue to the front is volly ff pov do u expect every LE dept to change their lights. would i think it should be is a red/blue siren combo for every volly ff emt pov, every cop car and fire truck. it would save a shit ton of money and i would mind adding more grill lights or selling one avenger but to replace it all would suck

:popcorn: :popcorn:

NYS Blue Light Issue = :beat_deadhorse: **See my Signature**

:lock_it: :lock_it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cameronbraedyn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.