Nys law in regard to blue lights

Julius793

May 12, 2013
New york
I got pulled over by a cop for using my blue lights a few miles from my fire house. The cop told me I can only use it within a mile of my firehouse and gave me an unauthorized summons. Is anybody know if what he told me is true?

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Julius793 said:
I got pulled over by a cop for using my blue lights a few miles from my fire house. The cop told me I can only use it within a mile of my firehouse and gave me an unauthorized summons. Is anybody know if what he told me is true?

*This is only my personal opinion*

I can't imagine a state legislature authorizing and signing into a law that only allows you to use your lights within one mile of your firehouse. Most fire jurisdictions are well over one mile. Heck, mine is 25 square miles. So long as your responding to a "bonafide emergency" you should be good to go.

So if the events happened in the way you described and you were within the law, I'd take that take summons to court/station and make that cop pound sand.

Julius793

May 12, 2013
New york
Irsh42 said:
*This is only my personal opinion*

I can't imagine a state legislature authorizing and signing into a law that only allows you to use your lights within one mile of your firehouse. Most fire jurisdictions are well over one mile. Heck, mine is 25 square miles. So long as your responding to a "bonafide emergency" you should be good to go.

So if the events happened in the way you described and you were within the law, I'd take that take summons to court/station and make that cop pound sand.

Well it was a telephone alarm I was about ten minutes out using the highway. I passed one car then came to a red light which I didn't go through. The guy is just a complete jackass.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Although I'm not sure about NY, I know there is no "distance" limit in NJ however common sense is necessary. If you're 3 counties away and it's not a holy-shit MCI you probably don't need to be running lights.

There's plenty of talk of towns pulling over the neighboring town's volunteer EMS or FD responders because "they were running blue lights through my town" and nonsense like that. I say fight it, teach these cops with nothing better to do that if you can't run blue lights through their town they better hope to never have to call mutual-aid.

FatherOfFour

Nov 4, 2012
Indiana
From: NYS GTSC - Vehicle & Traffic Law - Section 375 (41)

4. Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in subparagraph b of this paragraph.

I don't see any distance restriction there.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Julius793 said:
From the UTT, please give us the exact V&T section (or other law or ordinance) that you supposedly violated and any specific language that the officer wrote on the ticket. Please quote it exactly as written.

Before I leap to any conclusions here, I want to know what you are actually being charged with.

All of us in New York State know that there is no distance limitation in the V&T regarding the use of courtesy lights. So let's have the details, please.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.