NYS Parole VS Local Police Mis-Communication ?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Re: "The officers say they are still too traumatized to go back to work."

But you can still send me a paycheck for the rest of my life.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Combine the fact that they were 4 black individuals in a predominately white neighborhood with the alarmist nature that a lot of people have regarding firearms and similar equipment, plus several fairly recent "fake cop" stories perpetrated in the media and you end up with a recipe for disaster.

Now, once the parole officer stated "my state credentials are on the back of the badge" the situation SHOULD have been deescalated, but that's in a perfect world. Personally I'll wait for a full independent investigation before I decide who was right and who was wrong. That being said, I'd love to see any/all available dashcam footage of this incident.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
Combine the fact that they were 4 black individuals in a predominately white neighborhood with the alarmist nature that a lot of people have regarding firearms and similar equipment, plus several fairly recent "fake cop" stories perpetrated in the media and you end up with a recipe for disaster.

Now, once the parole officer stated "my state credentials are on the back of the badge" the situation SHOULD have been deescalated, but that's in a perfect world. Personally I'll wait for a full independent investigation before I decide who was right and who was wrong. That being said, I'd love to see any/all available dashcam footage of this incident.
My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY

What mystifies me is that the situation also did not de-escalate after one of the Ramapo detectives arrived on the scene and identified one of the parole officers that he knew. That gets beyond the perfect world scenario and into the realm of "don't confuse me with facts" on the part of the police officers.

I agree that us casual observers should be waiting for investigation results, but it the news article is even moderately accurate, Ramapo PD has a lot explaining to do at the very least.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
"Once they already had confirmation of the identities' of my clients, they had 1, no right to stop them, 2, no right to hold them at gunpoint, 3, no right to assault them and use excessive force on them," said Bonita Zelman.
I hope they aren't paying this lawyer up front...

#1 They were already stopped before being identified.  They weren't stopped again AFTER they were ID'ed so this point is stupid.

#2 Last I heard, as long as I can articulate why I am pointing a gun at you, I am allowed to point a gun at a suspect.

#3 By their own statements, they were "receiving lots of orders" from officers.  If I am pointing a gun at you and screaming "HANDS UP, HANDS UP, HANDS UP" and you don't listen, I absolutely have the right to use force (assault) and force you to submit.  That isn't assault, not is it excessive force.

They claim they were stopped simply because the officers were "racial profiling".  The article clearly states that someone had called 911 and reported them as suspicious.  Officers stopping them isn't "racial profiling", its called responding to a call. 

Then the one genius states that one of the parolees had his phone number and demands to know why they didn't call him.  So lets say neighbor Joe Smith calls and reports the suspicious black subjects.  Neighbor Tom Jones is a parolee that they visited...  How in the world do the cops know to contact Tom Jones in order to get a phone number for the parole officers?  Its obvious that they are parole officers, not detectives.

Then they claim the assault occurred BEFORE the "standoff".  Why did officers retreat and then there was a "standoff"?  There are a LOT of holes in the one side of this story that we are getting.

"All I could think of was if I sneeze, or blink, or clear my throat, that, yeah, I might have a bullet lodged in my head," said Annette Thomas.
Really?  Yea, if you blink they are going to shoot you, right?

Sheila Penister said "I could rest assured I was dead that day."
Really?  And yet you are still alive to make that stupid statement?  Actually, this one makes sense cause she didn't "rest assured".  I'd have a hard time sleeping too if I was this stupid and trying to file such a bogus lawsuit.

What mystifies me is that the situation also did not de-escalate after one of the Ramapo detectives arrived on the scene and identified one of the parole officers that he knew. That gets beyond the perfect world scenario and into the realm of "don't confuse me with facts" on the part of the police officers.

I agree that us casual observers should be waiting for investigation results, but it the news article is even moderately accurate, Ramapo PD has a lot explaining to do at the very least.
There is enough about the rest of the story and the sequence of events (if they even happened) that makes me question if an officer ever identified them, and when that identification actually occurred.  They don't know the name of the officer that identified them, and I can't think of the last time a detective from my department was involved in a traffic stop... let alone a high risk stop like this.  Our detectives are plain clothes and generally don't wear armor unless serving a warrant.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Sounds like they are looking to make a quick buck. Go back to work and stop complaining. Ramapo PD we're doing their job protecting the community. They responded to a 911 call and did a textbook felony traffic stop. Sorry RPD hurt your feelings. I'm sure they let you all go free as soon as they realised who you were.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.