ODOT adding flashing colored lights on snowplows to increase visibility

May 28, 2010
Loveland, Ohio
The Ohio Department of Transportation is retrofitting 1,600 trucks with new flashing lights to increase their visibility. Officials with the department said the initiative was prompted by the number of vehicles rear-ending ODOT's snowplow trucks.

ODOT District 11 Deputy Director Lloyd Macadam said the lights on new plow trucks will be integrated into each of the state's 88 counties and 12 ODOT districts as a result of House Bill 487, which was signed into law by Ohio Gov. John Kasich in September. The new law permits the use of flashing colored lights on ODOT vehicles, with the exception of blue and red, which are only used by law enforcement and emergency vehicles.

ODOT will use an amber, green and white color combination. Officials said studies have found that flashing green lights are more easily detected by the human eye.

"We'd like them to show up differently and be brighter and show up and have a new pattern, and that's what the whole purpose of these new lights are," Macadam said. In addition to the 1,600 trucks that will be retrofitted with the new lights, all new trucks will come standard with them.

"The new lights are eye-catchers. It's a good thing for the traveling public," said Jerry Campbell, a plow driver for ODOT who added that the change is also a relief for many workers.

"We're always worrying about someone coming up behind us too close or not seeing us on a blind turn, and this ensures us that we have a little better visibility to the traveling public," Campbell said. Drivers can expect to see the new lights in a few months, when winter weather is expected to hit the Ohio Valley. Officials said the goal is to have about 500 plow trucks retrofitted by the end of 2012, with the remainder of the fleet upgraded throughout next year.

Story posted 2012.10.01 at 04:29 PM EDT

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
You have to love the great state of Ohio. They change their plow trucks from yellow to white. And now, they're going to try and add more lights to keep people from running in to the back of them. :duh:

Imagine the surprise to people when they catch up to a snow storm, only to find a great big white truck in the middle of it. :eek:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
...paint them yellow...not white..... that right there is a huge part of it.

...and go back to the old fashioned alternating "Ohio Turnpike lights"... no additional lights needed. 4 giant alternating halogen can lights.... best DOT setup ever....

Add all the green purple red and blue you want, if you have flash pattern fail and LEDs caked in snow color matters very little.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
They just need to keep it simple.

In Iowa they are painted orange. Mini rotator bar, some are getting LED bars now and 2 alternating leds on the back. Haven't heard of any getting hit. They stick out in a snow storm just fine.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Nothing cuts through snow or fog quite like a good old halogen rotators. The heat alone will melt the snow off the dome in most cases.

Total fail with the LED's.

:duh:

ETA- They should have stopped by here and asked out advice first. As if law makers understand emergency lighting.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
JohnMarcson said:
...and go back to the old fashioned alternating "Ohio Turnpike lights"... no additional lights needed. 4 giant alternating halogen can lights.... best DOT setup ever....

Any chance you have a video of this set up? I don't think I have ever seen it.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
do people in ohio really drive that fast in the snow were they smash into the trucks

ct has painted they here orange for years. the newer cabs are orange but the stainless bodys are stainless. they only have 2 beacons and 2 rear facing 700 series were strobe then halogen strobe combo now all LED there is never a problem seeing them . they also run the 4 way flashers and the LED ones add alot

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Regardless of color, they should have gone with a bigger foot print.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
CPDG23 said:
Any chance you have a video of this set up? I don't think I have ever seen it.

No.... It's just big foot print halogen flashers steadily flashing at 90 fpm in an X.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
kitn1mcc said:
do people in ohio really drive that fast in the snow were they smash into the trucks

Yes.... yes they do. But white trucks in the snow with all their LEDs covered aren't visible...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Sounds like they should of consulted Ontario, seeing as we have snow from October-late April normally... Here are some photos of our highway plow trucks. Like others, we started switching over to led a few years back but that idea ended quickly. We also have rear light "towers" with big old red halogen lights facing the rear hooked up to the STT lights on the plow trucks, increasing visibility quite a bit. Most times in blowing snow thats the only thing you will see... We still use the good old halogen rotator on the front normally as well. Newer trucks have multiple red/amber/blue lights to the rear, with only blue and amber flashing.

Photos google search-fu results.

L9000plow2.jpg

Landscapephotographywintersnow-L.jpg

Normally on the highways they also stagger plows across all lanes at once, which prevents any traffic attempting (most times) overtaking them... gets real funny when an idiot tries to pass them..

plowing-02.jpg

L9000plow1.jpg

600-02670641w.jpg

781734206_xjbjb-L-12.jpg

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Who in gods name paints a plow truck white? Really?

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
kitn1mcc said:
maybe white is a cheaper color

Yep, white is the default colour for pretty much every truck manufacturer, and pretty much every end user. Not to mention it's easier to sell a used vehicle in plain white then most colours, especially bright yellow.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
irsa76 said:
Yep, white is the default colour for pretty much every truck manufacturer, and pretty much every end user. Not to mention it's easier to sell a used vehicle in plain white then most colours, especially bright yellow.

There is a budget related story behind it I believe. It's one of those things that seems like a good idea from a budget stance on paper. "We pay what to paint trucks a pretty color? How much do we save if we get them government white?".... No one too a step back and said out loud "Should we paint snowplows white?" It costs more to play catch up with lights and lawsuits than to just paint them a non-snow color IMHO... but who am I to bitch... Oh yeah, an Ohio Tax Payer. Pick some other stock non-white stock color. Red, blue, green.... just not white... they are snow plows.... sigh

"Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one." -Durden

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Or, if they want to keep white.. go with a rear (full) wrap like this:

ch8_8.jpg

Oh and more halogen lights. Thats a given. :cool:

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
I agree, the can lights are awesome. You can have all the blinky blinky crap you want. Nothing gets your attention quicker then a good ol halogen light flashing back and forth at a nice steady rate.

As far as the drivers in Ohio, I was on IS271 a few car lengths behind and to the right of a ODOT plow. I saw a car pass it on it's left, went through the wave of snow coming off the plow as it passed, and almost spun out in front of it. I got excited thinking I was going to get to see an idiot shoved in to the median by ODOT, but was disappointed when he was able to keep it under control.

I took a crash report one time for someone that rearended a plow on an exit ramp. It's hard to not look at people like they're stupid, and ask them how they managed to run in to a huge snowplow.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
I'm so glad that I moved back to Indiana before I could drive and had to deal with all of this. Officials have no common sense, which also happens to be a problem with this years election. With that said, we in the US are all f*ed if they keep making decisions like this. Lol. Anyways. How does it make sense to change something that has to be in the snow to white? Then they want to complain about people hitting them? Yes, it's the tried and true "We are smrt" method. I feel sorry for our neighbors to the east.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
BillyG said:

Thanks for posting the link. I haven't seen any of the newly modified rigs on the road as of yet, It will be one of those see how it works type things. Looks sharp with the amber green combo. I agree white is a terrible color choice for the fleet. Time will tell how it works out and how effective the lighting changes are.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I agree the trucks need to be a different color. ODOT has not responded to my question as to why they would waste more money instead of change truck colors.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
CPDG23 said:
Nothing cuts through snow or fog quite like a good old halogen rotators. The heat alone will melt the snow off the dome in most cases.

Total fail with the LED's.

:duh:

ETA- They should have stopped by here and asked out advice first. As if law makers understand emergency lighting.

I have to disagree with this one, respectfully. I truly feel that the strobes are more noticeable day and night compared to rotators. Here in Colorado, CDOT uses 4 strobes on most of their plows. 2 up on the roof, and 2 on the back of the truck. Some of the newer strobe set-ups have flashing halogen bulbs in them as well. They are very simple, but VERY effective. CDOT is also now using LEDs that actually do something and look good, unlike that ODOT plow truck. Even in whiteouts. Going over to Utah, they use yellow rotator bars on the UHP plows. Those things are dang near impossible to see under heavy snow. Nothing eye catching about them and worse of all, those bars get covered with snow and ice very quickly and easily and the plow drivers don't even notice or seem to care.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
RyanZ71 said:
I have to disagree with this one, respectfully. I truly feel that the strobes are more noticeable day and night compared to rotators. Here in Colorado, CDOT uses 4 strobes on most of their plows. 2 up on the roof, and 2 on the back of the truck. Some of the newer strobe set-ups have flashing halogen bulbs in them as well. They are very simple, but VERY effective. CDOT is also now using LEDs that actually do something and look good, unlike that ODOT plow truck. Even in whiteouts. Going over to Utah, they use yellow rotator bars on the UHP plows. Those things are dang near impossible to see under heavy snow. Nothing eye catching about them and worse of all, those bars get covered with snow and ice very quickly and easily and the plow drivers don't even notice or seem to care.

Nooooo! no strobes in the snow. Too bright with such a wide angle of output. If you plow with strobes in heavy snow you cant see a thing. It just lights up all the snow. Its not fun to drive in already bad conditions with a yellow or white wall flashing in front of you every second.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
RyanZ71 said:

HOLY crap they were booking it in the first video!

I think the green and amber is an excellent idea!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.