Ohio crash kills ambulette driver, patient.

Byte

May 21, 2010
N.E.O.
http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x272792773/Ohio-highway-crash-kills-ambulance-driver-patient

PROSPECT —

Police say an ambulance has collided with a truck on a central Ohio highway, killing the ambulance’s driver and a patient.

Ohio State Highway Patrol Lt. Gary Lewis says a preliminary investigation shows the private ambulance was traveling north Tuesday afternoon when it crossed the center line and hit a semitrailer in Delaware County. He says the ambulance driver and passenger and the semitrailer driver were the only people in the vehicles.

The semitrailer driver has been hospitalized with injuries that don’t appear life-threatening.

A woman who answered the phone at the Stofcheck Ambulance Service Inc. in Columbus said no one there could comment.

The highway was closed for about four hours after the crash.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
What is an ambulette? An ambulance for "Mini Me"?

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
rwo978 said:
What is an ambulette? An ambulance for "Mini Me"?

It's a wheelchair van. Used for quite a bunch of things but mainly used when it isn't necessary to have an ambulance. Also a cheaper alternative to get to other appointments without the cost of the ambulance. Also can take a discharge out of the hospital to a nursing home, especially if they live there. :) This is just real general and I am sure there are a number of other reasons why it's used.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
I was at this crash, it was the hardest impact I have ever seen. It has been reported all over the U.S. that it was an amublance when it was not. No less tragic that it wasn't tho. It is DOA number 5 & 6 for us on State Route 4 in the past two and a half months.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Speed was a factor in the first two crashes, with alcohol involved also with the first. All have been 2 vehicles. This last one the kid was reportedly going on very little sleep and possibly fell asleep. Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure with this one. All have involved drivers <30 yrs old. I have since moved my kids' driving age back to 35. And the road is a nice straight drag strip, not really any obstructions.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.