Ohio Green / Amber

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Nothing in the ohio revised code says clearly. It allows lay people to use amber, clear and green in any fashion they choose.

smokin351

Feb 28, 2012
Bluegrass State
Yuck. The only vehicles I know to have Green/Amber to the rear are the Mall security vehicles. Which works great for their purpose so don't get me wrong. But I really would hate to see vehicles on the roadway or pulled off to the side using Green/Amber. Just seems too distracting to me. I'd still prefer to see all Amber OR Amber with some Red to the rear as it seems to have worked well for the past several decades so why change it?

lightnerd

Sep 29, 2013
illinois
One of the most effective strobe bars I've ever seen was an old 9M with A/G/W lenses in no coherent order, on a POV plow truck.

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
crescentstar69 said:
The new green and amber LED's on the ODOT snow plows are actually pretty effective.

Heck yes they are. If you drive into the back of one of them, you are drunk off your a$$ or sleeping. I love the new setup, unless I'm following one for any amount of time, sometimes at night they are just a tad too bright lol. But they are a lot better then previous systems. I'm glad they are synced.

Tri-State PSE

May 21, 2010
Middletown, Ohio
We've been selling a TON of SoundOff Pinnacle mini bars with a custom arrangement of: A/G/A/G to snow plow guys.

They have seen ODOT using green and wanted something close to theirs.

Word on the street is that ODOT has legislation on the docket to exclusively be the only agency to run Green lights in Ohio.

Not sure how true/legitimate this is...

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I spent entirely too much time driving through Ohio during one of the bigger blizzards at the beginning of January. I was really impressed by the ODOT plows. At first I thought it was just the fact that they were using good lights in a good setup and an effective pattern was what it was that I liked, but I think the green and white in addition to the amber is actually what makes it so effective.

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
Tri-State PSE said:
We've been selling a TON of SoundOff Pinnacle mini bars with a custom arrangement of: A/G/A/G to snow plow guys.
They have seen ODOT using green and wanted something close to theirs.

Word on the street is that ODOT has legislation on the docket to exclusively be the only agency to run Green lights in Ohio.

Not sure how true/legitimate this is...

Wouldn't be suprised. The only other guys around here who have green are security vehicles.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I'm not a fan of green as a warning color. First, I think that it's an invitation for any drowsy or impaired (ie etoh, drugs, etc) to mistake your vehicle for a green light & cruise, rather than slow down. Second, I don't think that most drivers will recognize it as a warning color, as they would amber (which is commonly used to signal caution/warning/slow down). Personally, I think green should be left to command beacons only.

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
I like the Green / Amber synched up lights now being used by the DOT in Ohio. Here in New York State, Green is used as a courtesy light for members of volunteer based ambulance companies.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
As the videos above said, the whole point of them adding the lights were to stand out since people had gotten used to seeing all amber. I think its neat and was looking at doing it to some of our trucks here for snowplowing.

Glad to hear it works!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.