Ohio State Highway Patrol, Transforming the Charger.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I read in the Flying Wheel magazine how they observed CHP's fleet management and wanted to copy the assembly line process, in hopes of putting out 15 cars per week.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I have been to this install facility and let me tell you, from what they had been doing to now... 180 degree change. Before you had 2 techs going from A-Z to complete each car. They are currently installing 8-10 cars per day.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
ryan said:
I have been to this install facility and let me tell you, from what they had been doing to now... 180 degree change. Before you had 2 techs going from A-Z to complete each car. They are currently installing 8-10 cars per day.

I have been there also. It is impressive!

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
sman1348 said:
I know that they are 1500+ troopers strong, but do the troopers need cars as fast as this line can spit them out?

Well if not they can give one or two to me... just saying :D

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Here is the article on this

New assembly line at Central Install improves efficiency

When you think of Ford, Honda, Chrysler or Chevrolet, the “assembly line” comes to mind. Most of us have seen video of cars assembled from the smallest parts all the way up to the frame and body materials.

The auto industry has used this concept successfully for years. As the division looked at ways to increase cruiser installations to meet the challenges of increased personnel and to help decrease trade-in mileage for safety reasons, several installation methods were considered:

- Individual electronic technicians (ET) complete an entire install from start to finish;

- Two or more ETs work on an installation as a team;

- Set up an assembly line installation method; or

- Outsource the installation of cruisers.

The individual ET approach was the method previously employed by the division and the Office of Strategic Services studied it and each of the other methods.

The individual ET method produced between five and seven cruisers per week, which was not enough to help bring down trade-in mileage and produce the number of cruisers needed because of increases in personnel.

Central Install (CI) employed the team approach in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but the dynamics of personnel and administrative issues resulted in fewer cars installed weekly.

Research into outsourcing highlighted a potential increase in cost coupled with loss of control over the quality of installations. Currently, several other state agencies use CI to handle their installation needs to avoid outsourcing to a private vendor for similar reasons.

Through a survey of other agencies, it was found the California Highway Patrol (CHP) uses an assembly line process. When considering CHP is three times larger than the Patrol in terms of personnel and cruiser numbers, its operation seemed to be one we could learn from.

A Patrol representative visited CHP and spent a day with assembly line technicians and supervisors. Not only did CHP face similar organizational challenges, but its assembly line solution addressed those needs in an efficient and effective manner. With this information, Patrol staff began developing an assembly line process for our cruisers.

With assistance from our Fiscal Section and from the Public Safety Procurement, Facilities and Fleet units, ET Manager Shawn Piper and ET3 Pete Flavin developed an assembly line that broke down installation processes into a natural progression of equally-sectioned time periods.

Central Install’s new design features prep and drilling templates completed by contract laborers. Installation stations for each step in the process, with the ability to eject a car from the line if unanticipated damage or issues are discovered, are positioned throughout the facility. A final re-assembly area, staffed by a contract laborer, and a final check station for quality control ends the approximate 19-hour process.

The benefit of the assembly line is that once all stations are fully charged, a new cruiser is produced every hour of operation. In the end, CI will go from five to seven cars a week to producing five cars per day, resulting in 15 cars installed per week over a three-day assembly line schedule, which reduces trade-in mileage, increases our fleet in the field and produces quality cruisers for our troopers.

During the other two days of the work week, ETs strip vehicles, work on specialty installations, restock parts, clean,

train and complete other associated duties.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
sman1348 said:
I know that they are 1500+ troopers strong, but do the troopers need cars as fast as this line can spit them out?

They do in Utah. People kept sliding into or running into Troopers cars on the sides of the highways Which has resulted in UHP having to pull cars out of the decommissioned pile and training pile, putting equipment back in them and putting them back on the streets until they get their next batch of Chargers and F-150s in from the manufacturers. Well that was the case in the winter time. I'm sure they've gotten things caught up by now.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
sman1348 said:

Probably do, considering they would like 15 a day. The newer Crown Vics that are out there have the new all blue lights on them. The older CVs are still running the Vista bars in Red Blue, and you still see them on the roads. The other half's cousin works for OSP as a Radio tech told me that they cant get them out fast enough for the bosses. They have tried to speed up the process by ordering premade wiring harness and other item to make them more or less plug and play. Those guy's at central are probably happy to see an unmarked go thru here and there, and Im sure they do other state agencies also. Park Rangers around here are going from the Whelen edges to Code 3 bars, So I expect the Watercraft and others will be changing too although the Gamewardens have new Whelen LED bars. Havent seen anything but older vehicles with Federal signal lights.

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
Let me tell you, These Chargers are bright! You notice them Miles away. Up in my area it seems like each county has atleast 1 Charger so far. But they are out all the time, and they look slick!

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Hoser said:
Probably do, considering they would like 15 a day. The newer Crown Vics that are out there have the new all blue lights on them. The older CVs are still running the Vista bars in Red Blue, and you still see them on the roads. The other half's cousin works for OSP as a Radio tech told me that they cant get them out fast enough for the bosses. They have tried to speed up the process by ordering premade wiring harness and other item to make them more or less plug and play. Those guy's at central are probably happy to see an unmarked go thru here and there, and Im sure they do other state agencies also. Park Rangers around here are going from the Whelen edges to Code 3 bars, So I expect the Watercraft and others will be changing too although the Gamewardens have new Whelen LED bars. Havent seen anything but older vehicles with Federal signal lights.

Central Install handles the entire DPS fleet, not just OSHP.

I dont see any more Vistas here. Even the older POS cruisers have been changed over to the new lighting setup.

Now, I wish OSHP would get new radars. We have a Charger at the local post with 2 God awful huge radar antennas mounted on the side of the lightbar in each direction.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:
Central Install handles the entire DPS fleet, not just OSHP.

I dont see any more Vistas here. Even the older POS cruisers have been changed over to the new lighting setup.

Now, I wish OSHP would get new radars. We have a Charger at the local post with 2 God awful huge radar antennas mounted on the side of the lightbar in each direction.

Ive seen several with the big antenna mounted like that, looks weird. Its surprising that is a big money maker for the state.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I'm more worried about a 1980's RADAR antenna being mounted outside and behind my head then a brand new one inside the cabin but in front of me...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
patrol530 said:
That's because they have concerns over the radiation exposure. Although manufacturers would claim it's unnecessary, what's the harm?

I have no problems with them being mounted outside, but there are smaller antenna they can get that looks more aesthetically appealing, not something from the 1980's.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.