Older Champion 17 ton Grader

Nov 7, 2011
New England
I did this install way earlier this year for the Atv club I am a director of. This grader grades the trail we are responsible for maintaining a few times a year. The reason for the interesting equipment is because I donated it so most of it was laying around. There are many blind road crossings along the trail, So I wanted intersection warning of sorts. Used to have a bubble gum machine on the top as the warning light package...So I figured this was a slight improvement.

Equipment:

Front: 2 Amber TIR3's & 2 Grote industrial LED's in a custom bracket for side/intersection

Top: code 3 420 dual rotator Amber

Rear: Chinese 6 head stick (works AWESOME on the slow wig wag pattern it's set to)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
This is at least the eleventieth time I've said this, but I don't much like new lights on old vehicles. But construction equipment, while not entirely exempt, gets a little slack: It's not meant to be pretty. It's just got to do the job. And if old lights won't do the job you need done, I guess LEDs are pretty much the only thing that will. :thumbsup:

Nov 7, 2011
New England
nerdly_dood said:
This is at least the eleventieth time I've said this, but I don't much like new lights on old vehicles.

Different strokes for different folks! I wasn't worried about using lights from the era (80's) simply because this vehicle is 97% off the road. Utility above aesthetics.

nerdly_dood said:
It's not meant to be pretty. It's just got to do the job.

and they do! :thumbsup:

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Dare I say we need a vid?

Looks like it would be effective. One of the local construction companies has an old CAT grader they redid the warning lights on. 2 strobe beacons on the cab, one on the very front end and one on the engine cowling, all double flash and non syned, and low powered since you can't see them in daylight very well!

Nov 7, 2011
New England
irsa76 said:
Dare I say we need a vid?
Looks like it would be effective. One of the local construction companies has an old CAT grader they redid the warning lights on. 2 strobe beacons on the cab, one on the very front end and one on the engine cowling, all double flash and non syned, and low powered since you can't see them in daylight very well!

I have a couple very low quality videos, but I'll try to get out to the barn sometime soon and get ya a vid!

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
nerdly_dood said:
This is at least the eleventieth time I've said this, but I don't much like new lights on old vehicles. But construction equipment, while not entirely exempt, gets a little slack: It's not meant to be pretty. It's just got to do the job. And if old lights won't do the job you need done, I guess LEDs are pretty much the only thing that will. :thumbsup:

i like what he did some times with old machines the electrcial system are not the best and lower amp draw is the way to go

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
That is just *screaming* for one of these mounted on the front, below the LED's and just above the tow pin (use L brackets!!- Mounted low and centre- for forward/intersection warning, and no light into cab/drivers area)

76203GR0-2T.jpg

https://www.peterbiltparts.com/product_p/76203gr0.htm

Heck one would look good on the roof as well. I've always liked those old school beacons, more so on big vehicles.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
unlisted said:
That is just *screaming* for one of these mounted on the front, below the LED's and just above the tow pin (use L brackets!!- Mounted low and centre- for forward/intersection warning, and no light into cab/drivers area)

View attachment 42896

https://www.peterbiltparts.com/product_p/76203gr0.htm

Heck one would look good on the roof as well. I've always liked those old school beacons, more so on big vehicles.

It used to have something similar. There aren't pics, but it was quite faded and dim and old and slow. The dual rotator on top does a great job!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I love those old and slow sealed beams, no matter what they would reflect off every surface at night, including dense trees. I'd see those things flashing on rural roads almost a mile before the headlights, and if around a curve, it was clear noticeable on trees well around the curve. Something about the sweep of the light always would catch my eye.

I'm still waiting for a LED manufacturer to be able to replicate this, and I'll buy it.

If I ever snowplow (or tow, the latter I don't ever see myself doing) I'd get a sealed beam.. Or two.. hehehe..

Nov 7, 2011
New England
unlisted said:
I love those old and slow sealed beams, no matter what they would reflect off every surface at night, including dense trees. I'd see those things flashing on rural roads almost a mile before the headlights, and if around a curve, it was clear noticeable on trees well around the curve. Something about the sweep of the light always would catch my eye.

I'm still waiting for a LED manufacturer to be able to replicate this, and I'll buy it.

If I ever snowplow (or tow, the latter I don't ever see myself doing) I'd get a sealed beam.. Or two.. hehehe..

I'm young, I'm partial to LED's ;) Just like my father still loves his colt Combat Commander, but hates my glock!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
jcpse said:
I'm young, I'm partial to LED's ;) Just like my father still loves his colt Combat Commander, but hates my glock!

Hey now, I am not by any means old.. and I like LED. Just for a large slow vehicle or something you need to be noticed for - and far/around corners- I'd go with a rotating sealed light beacon. (imo)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.