Older liberty

Nickatnight

Nov 10, 2011
Tennessee
I just received a "replacement" patrol unit that has a liberty lightbar. I have opened it up to try to change the flash pattern but I do not find a violet/white wire anywhere. The bar is on a 2006 model car and was installed when it was new. Inside the bar it only has three plugs that control everything I think. One for the takedowns and alleys, one for front LEDs, and one for rear LEDs. I also looked at the controller in the trunk, and cannot find a violet/white scan lock wire. Any ideas how to change the flash pattern.

JR@VLS

Dec 17, 2010
Utah
I believe first gen Liberty bars had a seperate scan lock harness. PM me your email and I'll find the instructions and send a copy.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
if the bar doesn't have a ballast then it has a scanlock wire in the harness somewhere.....if it's LC. If it's SC then there would not be any other wires than the power/ground and the blue/gray cable to the head. If it's SC you have to reprogram the head.....sucks I've seen the scanlock wire cut flush with the harness...maybe to keep us wackerdoos from messin with them. I've noticed this on a bunch of lightheads as well...

Nickatnight

Nov 10, 2011
Tennessee
I have found inside the lightbar it has three eight pin connectors. One for the front, one for the back, and one to control the take downs and alleys. It is controlled by a whelen cen congold. Does this mean I can only change patterns with the usb wire and program. There is aagreen wire for the front, a white wire for the rear and a black wire for ground. Surely there is another way. Any ideas?

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Photo's would be helpfull.

Having a Cen Com controlling the lightbar has nothing to do with programming.

If it was a serial controlled bar (Grey and blue wire cable) then you would need the special program interface.

how many cables does the bar have?

A thick multi conductor cable, a thick 2 conductor cable along with a multi conductor cable (alost of 18 gauge wires) or a thick 2 conductor cable with a thin 2 conductor cable (grey and green with drain sheild Wecan) or is it 2 cables, one 3 conductor ( one white, one green, one black) and one 6 condutor cable (economy bar/towmaster)

Nickatnight

Nov 10, 2011
Tennessee
It has the two..one with green, white ,and black and the other has six wires. Red, black, white, green, blue and orange. I've been trying to upload a picture but can't get it to load. I also attempted to get the model number but it appears it is gone. Thanx for any help.

Nickatnight

Nov 10, 2011
Tennessee
Also if it helps, this lightbar has two black "dummy" boxes. One on each side on the inside of the bar. From what I've seen maybe it is where ballasts used to be mounted in older models. But in my lightbar, the boxes are just empty plastic boxes.

Nickatnight

Nov 10, 2011
Tennessee
Yes it is a whelen liberty. In looking at some of the manuals it looks alot like the towman except without the brake/ taillight wires. It has two wires that come out of the bar and when they go into the trunk to the remote control unit, one has three wires green, black, and white ( larger maybe 14or16 gauge). Then there is another set that has 6 wires that based on some of the manuals controls the td, alleys, flashing tds, and two whichblack and orange, I believe are the ground for them. I just don't seem to have the other group of wires ( red, green, and black which black is apparently not used). And I don't see that any wires were cut away.

This car was not wired by me and has been in service since 2006 ish and the bar was purchased new. The guy that wired the cars that year is gone and left a cluster f~~k of wires wrapped up on the trunk.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Nickatnight said:
It has the two..one with green, white ,and black and the other has six wires. Red, black, white, green, blue and orange. I've been trying to upload a picture but can't get it to load. I also attempted to get the model number but it appears it is gone. Thanx for any help.

That is the economy/towmaster series.

You can't program it thru the cable. I don't think you can change the pattern at all being an econo version.

Black - ground

White and green (one is all front flash, and the other is all rear flash)

other cable is...

Black and orange is grounds

red, white and green are alleys and takedowns

Blue is takedown flash (if that option was ordered)

http://www.whelen.com/install/139/13990.pdf

The above shows a program cable that is seperate.

If you only have the two cables, you will have to open it up to see.

Nickatnight

Nov 10, 2011
Tennessee
The model# is SE8BBBB . I know the pattern can be changed because one of the other guys on my shift has the same bar but different pattern. The only thing I can think is maybe the wires have been removed.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Nickatnight said:
The model# is SE8BBBB . I know the pattern can be changed because one of the other guys on my shift has the same bar but different pattern. The only thing I can think is maybe the wires have been removed.

Same bar looking at it from the outside, or looking at the cables exiting from the bar?

If the cables between the two are different, the other bar is not an econo version, probably a regular version.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
I know this is an old post, so it's probably not much help anymore, but I have the same bar, the SE8BBBB, which is the economy version, which does only have one flash pattern and is not programmable. Also, the front and back of the bar are non-synced.

In order to change up the look of the pattern, you have to take the bar apart (8 torx screws on the endcaps and 4 torx screws on the upper frame), then disconnect the plugs to each of the modules and rearrange the plugs to the pattern you want. This allows for a few different patterns, like every other module flashing back and forth, or one entire side of the bar flashing then the other, etc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.