One more question this evening regarding whelen strobes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrlunchbox

Premium Member
Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Will the Whelen ISP188 handle both mixed helix tubes and linear tubes? I would like to run 4 corner strobes, with two grille strobes and lastly a dashking so I am hoping the answer would be yes. Thanks all!

Thats ok if they don't sync 100%... I just remember someone saying before that you couldn't mix the two types. However I also know someone before mentioned that the Whelen UPS (690 for example) supplies and (I think) the ISP supplies were universal and could handle the difference. I just don't want to destroy and of my equipment is all.

I would think you'd be okay if you were flashing the helix at one time vs the linear. That way both wouldn't be flashing at the same time. I seem to recall this as a "solution".

The ISP188 is an intelligent supply. Meaning it regulates the power to each outlet. Mixing linear and helix tubes was the reason this supply was built.

Newberry13 said:
The ISP188 is an intelligent supply. Meaning it regulates the power to each outlet. Mixing linear and helix tubes was the reason this supply was built.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming.

Lightbarnut said:
Lets expand on this discussion. Which can handle more wattage, helix or linear tubes?

It depends on the physical length of the tube. It actually has to do with the impedance of the tube. The longer the tube the higher the impedance.

Lightbarnut said:
You just went waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond my scope of knowledge on that subject. You'll have to explain further.

Welllll on a non-regulated supply, as in most whelen lightbars....when you mix tube types, on same outputs, the linear tubes will be dimmer then the helix tube. The reason is the linear tubes are longer, take more “juice” to power them than the helix tubes.

Now someone else here can go into more detail on this.

I guess the reason that I was asking is because I was planning on running a Whelen or Tomar 7x3 strobe lighthead off of a Whelen Dashmiser single power supply for a custom lightbar project. The Whelen lighthead is helix, and the Tomar one(if I get it)is linear. I was wondering which would be brighter off of the power supply.

Lightbarnut said:
I guess the reason that I was asking is because I was planning on running a Whelen or Tomar 7x3 strobe lighthead off of a Whelen Dashmiser single power supply for a custom lightbar project. The Whelen lighthead is helix, and the Tomar one(if I get it)is linear. I was wondering which would be brighter off of the power supply.

There would be no differnce in brightness, or if there was, there is something else at work there. What I was refering to in the past posts was inpedence mis-match that you get when you mix tube types, in a certain sequence, on non-regulated supply's

SilveradoPOV said:
I am using 4 hide-a-ways an 2 nova linear microthin strobes all on a whelen csp 6/90 with no trouble an I think it a unregulated power supply
1) Yes, the CSP690 is an unregulated supply.

2) Even tough the the Microthin is linear, the tubes are almost the same size. Nova designed the Microthins to be compatible with a PS running HAWs.

The rescue squad I used to be on in NC had an '02 Explorer that had a Nova 8 outlet, 180 watt supply that ran 6 HAWs and a pair of linear Microthins. It never had a problem either. I can recall several occasions where the lights were on upwards of 2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381