Ontario, Canada flashing lights laws

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If anyone in Ontario could help me out with this one. With an obsolete green light, what are the laws on rear flashing green lights? I cannot use it as forward facing (only one forward facing unit), and would not run with it on, but if ever in a situation (I travel a lot throughout Ontario) where I were on the side of the road at an accident or something, could rear facing green be used as warning?

Thanks

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
NERT11 said:
If anyone in Ontario could help me out with this one. With an obsolete green light, what are the laws on rear flashing green lights? I cannot use it as forward facing (only one forward facing unit), and would not run with it on, but if ever in a situation (I travel a lot throughout Ontario) where I were on the side of the road at an accident or something, could rear facing green be used as warning?

Thanks

Green flashing lights are restricted to volunteer fire fighters and certain volunteer medical responder. If you don't fit into those classes, green lights are restricted, whether facing front or back. If you use them, you could be charged with an HTA offence.

Ref: Ontario Highway Traffic Act, Section 62 (16)

Green flashing light restricted

(16) The following persons may carry on or in his or her vehicle and operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light:

1. A firefighter, within the meaning of subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, while proceeding to a fire or other emergency.

2. A prescribed class of volunteer medical responder, while driving a prescribed class or type of vehicle or engaging in a prescribed activity or in prescribed conditions or circumstances. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (5).

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
What kind of light? I may buy it off ya. Pm me please. :)

Heck I even have an amber light I may trade for it.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
BigWil said:
Green flashing lights are restricted to volunteer fire fighters and certain volunteer medical responder. If you don't fit into those classes, green lights are restricted, whether facing front or back. If you use them, you could be charged with an HTA offence.

(16) The following persons may carry on or in his or her vehicle and operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light:

1. A firefighter, within the meaning of subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, while proceeding to a fire or other emergency.

2. A prescribed class of volunteer medical responder, while driving a prescribed class or type of vehicle or engaging in a prescribed activity or in prescribed conditions or circumstances. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (5).

Crossposted to Official state warning law discussion thread. :)

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
BigWil said:

Thanks, but with the knowledge that I do fall into the category of firefighter, do you know the answer to my question about using a spare green bar in the rear window?

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
You would be authorized only if a:

a) you are a volunteer fire fighter

B) you are responding to a fire or emergency.

To me, that means if you are dispatched to a call, you can respond with green as a volly. You would also be in the right to keep said light on while you are on scene as both warning and identification. If you happened across a scene and activated the green lights, you are on your own...which means, depending on how the police officer wants to deal with it. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it provided you can show volunteer fire fighter ID. Without that, it's a crap shoot.

Nert11,

I have recently researched this...

To qualify as a firefighter in Ontario you must conform to subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997.

If you do qualify, then you are able to use a green flashing light. Keep in mind that green is also a command light and should not be used on scene as it might confuse the on scene and responding crews (and piss off the I.C.!).

The O.F.M. also has a guideline for this:

Use of Flashing Green Lights in Personal Vehicles

If you are looking for a rear faceing light to warn other motorists of a hazard; the best colour to use is amber.

Feel free to contact me if you want.

Sean

416-735-3473

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I guess I wasn't all too clear on what I was asking. I am a firefighter, I currently use a green light, and when we get a call I respond to the station. I have a new light for the front of my vehicle which leaves me with a spare. What my question is, is instead of putting the light in the garage or getting rid of it, would it be legal or not if I were to just mount it in the rear window to use on the odd chance that I roll up on an incident. It would not be used as a response light. The reason I ask is that we can leave our lights on at a scene if we are there first, but it is not effective to traffic approaching from the rear. I'm not looking to go out and buy an amber light, and I'm not needing or wanting a rear facing light with any sort of passion, it's just a matter of me having the light, and if I can put it to use, great, and if not, oh well.

It only applies to rolling up on an incident. If there are any services on scene already, I wouldn't even think about using it. It would probably get used maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

Additionally, we do not have green lights on our command vehicles, so there is no issue there.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
SO Brite Lighting said:
Nert11,

I have recently researched this...

To qualify as a firefighter in Ontario you must conform to subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997.

If you do qualify, then you are able to use a green flashing light. Keep in mind that green is also a command light and should not be used on scene as it might confuse the on scene and responding crews (and piss off the I.C.!).

The O.F.M. also has a guideline for this:

Use of Flashing Green Lights in Personal Vehicles

If you are looking for a rear faceing light to warn other motorists of a hazard; the best colour to use is amber.

Feel free to contact me if you want.

Sean

416-735-3473

The link that you have shared also states 360 degree green lighting... I realize that it says roof mounted revolving, however I know maybe 10 out of 120 firefighters that uses them, the rest are all LED. Would this allow interior 360 degree green lighting?

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'll be talking to him for sure before I even think about it, but I was just looking for the provincial "rules" on it... Thanks though, and you're right, it's the chief and local police that can burn you on it haha..

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
From a HTA standpoint, there is no restriction. You could technically whack out your car with 3 levels of green lights, with interior bar, full lightbar, green traffic directional, etc, and could respond with all of them as long as you meet the requirements to use green lights.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
BigWil said:
From a HTA standpoint, there is no restriction. You could technically whack out your car with 3 levels of green lights, with interior bar, full lightbar, green traffic directional, etc, and could respond with all of them as long as you meet the requirements to use green lights.

No kidding? I'm not much of a whacker myself, but it's interesting info to know, thanks!

twisted_metal

Jan 22, 2011
Toronto ON, Canada

^^^

"a lamp" means one light. per the letter of the law your allowed 1 green forward facing lamp. but I've yet to be hassled by any LEO's for having more than one. I also agree with Amber being a more effective rear warning. Also a single rear facing green for ID so that when you pass a LEO on the shoulder of the highway he doesn't think your just some tool looking to beat traffic.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
Actually, if you go deeper into the regs, it says:

Use of flashing green lights

3. (1) In addition to the persons described in paragraph 1 of subsection 62 (16) of the Act, the volunteer medical responders listed in subsection (3) may carry on or in a vehicle and operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light while,

(a) proceeding and responding to, but not returning from, a medical emergency call to which a police officer, firefighter or ambulance has also been dispatched;

( B) transporting a patient at the request of a government or government agency; or

© performing duties assigned in a municipal emergency plan to the volunteer medical response organization of which the volunteer medical responder is a member. O. Reg. 484/07, s. 3 (1).

(2) While using flashing green lights as permitted under subsection (1), a volunteer medical responder shall carry the original or a copy of his or her photo identification of membership issued by the volunteer medical response organization and, upon the demand of a police officer or officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of the Act, shall surrender it for reasonable inspection. O. Reg. 484/07, s. 3 (2).

(3) This section applies to the following volunteer medical responders:

1. A member of Hatzoloh Toronto.

2. A member of St. John Ambulance. O. Reg. 484/07, s. 3 (3).

4. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 484/07, s. 4.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Now it makes sence.Instead of a few tidbits of the law here and there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.