Open Letter To Whelen

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
How about the ability to change modules/colors easily, i.e. Slimlighter, Talon/Avenger, etc... just as you can with a Liberty, WITHOUT voiding any warranties?? Instead of having to purchase an entirely new product? Granted that would keep people from purchasing NEW products and more income for \/\/, but if someone changes position (i.e. volly to chief) and has to change their entire vehicle, would sure make it more practical.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
deputychief301 said:
I was by local distributors that the lin4's were being replaced by the Linz6's for warranty relpacement
since they quit production on lin4's.When I called Whelen about where to send the Lin4's because of

Moisture I was advised that they should plenty lin4's for replacement and someone started a nasty

rumor about the linz6's becomeing the replacement for the lin4's.

Sure glad this was just a rumor as I personally think the linz6's are ugly and not any more effective

than the lin4's (SPLITS). Matter of fact I have inquuired a couple sets of Linz6's and was disappointed

and traded off both sets and most likely lost. But you like what you like and the lin4's will be on the

inside of the vehicle, not risking the lin4's to draw mositure,,,just my two cents

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

Well it's not a rumor that they exchanged LIN4's for LINZ6's for me.

kd8eid

Jan 15, 2011
Hinton, WV
I would like to see a Slimlighter that has four heads and not just two.

That would be sweet! And how about a flash shield for the Slimlighter?

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
I would like to see a factory option to allow the use of the spacers in the 55" lightbars for takedowns or additional warning. The MR11/LR11 lights fit very nicely in the custom jobs I have seen. Obviosuly this has been done in the rear of the CHP Liberty's. Why not the front?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
PJH said:
I would like to see a factory option to allow the use of the spacers in the 55" lightbars for takedowns or additional warning. The MR11/LR11 lights fit very nicely in the custom jobs I have seen. Obviosuly this has been done in the rear of the CHP Liberty's. Why not the front?

There already is. This was a drop in kit located on the internet to go from 500 halogens to the MR11 halogens in the end. Changeover took less than 15 mins, and the hardest part was fishing out the LED leads for the modules that replaced the halogens.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Never saw it.... I've only seen the custom jobs (for MR and LR). Interesting...but I don't see it (yet) as an orderable right from the factory option unless I have really old price sheets/etc.

Neat, thanks.

led0987

Jul 13, 2010
Joplin, MO
WireKing said:
Whelen needs to wake up and start using multi colored diodes to compete with the new Fed Sig VISION SLR.

The Vision SLR does not use Muli-Colored Diodes either. 4 different diodes for 4 different colors.

I feel the DUO liberty is too expensive. Cramming the bar with twice as many diodes just to make the bar have dual colors is I think a waste of resources and puts the bar out of reach to many PDs. Why not use newer technology diodes that have multiple colors in them, thereby saving optical space in the reflector that can be used for more linear coverage. Don't get me wrong, the Rebel diodes you use are seriously intense and very efficient, but you guys should be looking more to the future and get back to being the market leader, not follower.

The DUO is less expensive than the Vision SLR. If this is out of reach for many PD's than what is your pitch for the Vision SLR? As another writer posted earlier, using a diode that has multiple colors means sacrificing output and warranty.

Federal is using specialized processors and circuit designs to gain an edge of flash pattern creation and control.

Whelen WeCAN much??? Whelen has had this system out now for years. Federal is just catching up. AND the new Vision SLR doesn't even have this feature. The Vision bar comes pre-programed from the factory with their patterns and that's all you get. Pick one and learn to love it.

Whelen needs to get their act together and come out with something sensational, like a four color "Freedom Plus" in a diamond shape with extended optics that result in better intersection coverage for example.

The Freedom and Liberty bars already provide SUBSTANTIAL intersection warning with their optics design. That's tested and proven.

From what I have read about the upcoming CanTrol system, I believe whelen has almost hit a home run. Having a control system that will not only activate outputs but will sync all the LEDs together (including the light bar) would be a step in the right direction. Furthermore, how about adding an optional wireless remote controller that will allow an officer to power down the siren or lights from outside the car. Maybe it could have a "distress" button that when pushed activates the siren and lights in a special tone and pattern to alert people that an officer is down.

How about integrating a small pod of Rebel's or other LEDs into the top of the bar that can be activated to signal air support as to the lead car in a chase or if the vehicle is stolen or the officer is in distress.

How about a four color surface mount light head in the form of a LINZ6 or a 500?

As another writer posted already, this new system IS awesome and IS still going through the engineering phase. Many tweaks will likely be made in the future to bring it to a level Whelen feels appropriate. As far as a distress signal, what would you use? How would a regular citizen know THAT tone versus a regular siren tone??

Putting a pod of Rebels on the top of the bar cuts down on its aerodynamic properties PLUS- using light to signal a chopper is far less effective than using a radio.

As an end user of Whelen products and other manufacturers products as well, I feel Whelen is still the market leader in terms of warning products and design. I will continue to give my business to any company who manufacturers their products in American first!

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I love what you have out there. I like the classic style of the lightbars and the reliability. My first bar was a 9m and it was flawless and had 800+ hours on it. No blackening. I would like to see 2x2x2x2 lighthead control on the Justice bar. The standard bar is like a Code 3 knock off. The addition of optional linear heads was a great start but you shouldn't have to buy a We Can bar to get more patterns. Great customer service and tech support. The made in America never meant more. Keep up the good work Whelen!!! Now....send me 2 blue passive freedom heads lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.