Opening a new EV shop?

huntinggamo

Jan 9, 2011
northern colorado, USA
I'm Wanting to open my own EV shop and was wanting some information from some of you out there that started from the ground up and now run decent sized operations. Mainly like what your start up costs were, how many employes you initialy hired, what you pay ranges are, how you go about geting buissness, how the bidding process works, and anything that I realy need to know. If you are willing I would realy like to get someone on the phone for a while and just pick your brain. I have quiet a bit of experince and good managment and office skills. just need help filling in the blanks before I procede with my planning.

Thanks,

Matt

Donslock

Dec 18, 2010
USA, South Dakota
Matt, Start out going to your automotive stores and checking on the price of wireing, then price out computers and software for accounting. After you price out your office then go to the light manufacturers and see what the buy-in is for the lights you want to sell, I'm willing to bet you could easily spend $25,000 to 40,000 for the buy-ins and inventory. You will also want to price insurance which could easily run $1200/yr plus building lease and related expenses.

The tool list alone could run $10,000 as well. Tools to pull body panels, light assemblies diagnostic tools to make sure computer components weren't compermised during the install or that to much current isn't being drawn to operate the equipment.

Mind you I'm only speaking as a machanic and former shop owner. I haven't done installs proffessionally, just my own stuff. Don Myhre

huntinggamo

Jan 9, 2011
northern colorado, USA
Donslock said:
Matt, Start out going to your automotive stores and checking on the price of wireing, then price out computers and software for accounting. After you price out your office then go to the light manufacturers and see what the buy-in is for the lights you want to sell, I'm willing to bet you could easily spend $25,000 to 40,000 for the buy-ins and inventory. You will also want to price insurance which could easily run $1200/yr plus building lease and related expenses.

The tool list alone could run $10,000 as well. Tools to pull body panels, light assemblies diagnostic tools to make sure computer components weren't compermised during the install or that to much current isn't being drawn to operate the equipment.

Mind you I'm only speaking as a machanic and former shop owner. I haven't done installs proffessionally, just my own stuff. Don Myhre

I have already looked into some of the cost, with insurance plus wages im looking at a cost per employe of about 2k, aprox 1k in liscencing and tax crap to get started pluss overhead of opperating and setting op shop. I have used Waytec for valot of stuff so im already doing the math on materials cost. mainly what im looking for advice about is how the biding process works. do you just contact the departments and see what there looking for then submit a bid or is there more involved? i understand that i probably wont see any money coming in for atleast 3-5 months so i have to have operating costs to cover that. i dont know what the buy ins are, can someone that has done this please give me some info. also do you have to be a distributor to get the holesale pricing or can i just order parts as needed for now to get me gong and then become a distributer in a year or somthing like that. i know that whelen distributors also sell and install other brand of lights so there has to be a way to buy them at cost other than being a distributer...

May 21, 2010
Wilmington, MA
I don't know how it works else where but in MA most agencies in my area buy off a state contract.

You have to bid to be on the state contract biggest discounts win and they only bid it every 3-5 years. Additionally must agencies pay net 45-90 from my experience and that state gets a piece of it for holding the contract.

I also often run into "it's easier to buy the car with it already outfitted" It is easier to hide the price of the lights in the cost of the car then having to ask for an additional $5-10K to outfit one.

Before spending all the money to "buy in" check around and see if someone will see to you at a discount to see how its going to work out before you spend all the money.

I am not a Whelen dealer however I buy whelen at the same price level as an entry level dealer does.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
All of the municipal and gov. bids I've written require proof of full funding ability of merchandise. For example, if you have $100,000.00 worth of lights and equipment on the bid, you have to provide a bank letter proving you can purchase the equipment at one time. Most contracts I've won have paid within 30 days of delivery and invoice of each vehicle, so you get a steady stream of money coming back. The same agencies also require the winning vendor to list them as insured, with specific coverage requirements. Keep in mind most of the bids I write are for 10 or more vehicles. A few vehicles is easier to do starting out. And construction companies are great accounts to get.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
exploder97

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.