Opinion: Halogen Flashlight VS LED

Which model of the Streamlight Fire Vulcan?

• Halogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LED

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Alrighty:

I have:

1 streamlight halogen beam fire box

1 streamlight propolymer 2aa led flashlight

1 streamlight propolymer 4aa 7led flashlight

1 maglite xl100

I would like to add a Streamlight fire vulcan to my possession. I was considering LED because i have a halogen hand light, but i am told that the halogen vulcan model cuts through the smoke better, and yes, i will probably take it into a fire, so that was my reasoning for getting the vulcan (weight). Can people that have used either model of this light please give me the pro's and con's? Of course there is a poll.

cory y

May 21, 2010
I sell and repair Streamlight products and the FireVulcan's led beam is very tight and piercing it is also very very bright and completely blows away the halogen.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I can't speak to the needs of firefighting, but I am thoroughly convinced that LEDs outshine halogen, pardon the pun, in just every circumstance I can think of. The technology has advanced to the point where output is getting to be equivalent and color can be controlled, and it will only get better, and less expensive. Currently, the only advantage halogen lights have is in the initial cost, but when you factor in replacement bulbs and shorter battery life, that goes away right fast.

LED and HID will soon put halogen and fluorescent in the same league as incandescent.

gpod

May 21, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
One case that halogens are better than LED is for starting IV's. In a dark place, using an LED light to illuminate an IV start site, the blue of the LED light is too prevalent and makes it very hard to see the vein.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
glad i won't be starting iv's with one hand while illuminating the area with the vulcan in my other... ;)

I have NJ EMT-B. I cannot do IV's or any thing like that and at this moment i have neither the intention nor need to study for a higher level. I placed the order for the LED one already...i would still like people's inputs. I have a few days to change the order to halogen if someone convinces me enough.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
The blue-white of LED doesn't always work super-well with a red or orange traffic cone, if you plan to do a lot of directing traffic I'd try out your proposed light in person with the cone of your choice. Or try the Streamlight combo LED/halogen.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
NPS Ranger said:
The blue-white of LED doesn't always work super-well with a red or orange traffic cone, if you plan to do a lot of directing traffic I'd try out your proposed light in person with the cone of your choice. Or try the Streamlight combo LED/halogen.

What's the LED/Halogen combo? :? I don't think i ever heard of it.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
gpod said:
One case that halogens are better than LED is for starting IV's. In a dark place, using an LED light to illuminate an IV start site, the blue of the LED light is too prevalent and makes it very hard to see the vein.

That's odd, even with deoxygenated blood. Blue light really punches up blood spatter and pools.

LEDs vary widely in "whiteness" - even individual manufacturers will have a number of different white wavelengths available.

I think he's referring to the TwinTask series.

cory y

May 21, 2010
my shop (Wistol Supply, Dallas, TX 972-488-1211) got a few in and Ive had the opportunity to play with one for a little bit and the beam is MUCH tighter, and MUCH brighter than the standard Strion LED. (and that wasn't too shabby to begin with!)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.