Opinion on SpeedTech Lights ??

May 29, 2010
Luminary-Frostbite,TN
bburnette21 said:
What does everyone think of these products?

If you're looking to save money, I would strongly advise you go with Feniex, MicroMan lights, Pimp pods, etc. STL does not have the best reputation, especially on this board. I personally will never own another STL light. I've had better experiences out of Chinese KO lights.......

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
search for it on here

SRVR77

Jun 11, 2010
NJ
i had the G-4 grill lights and the fitt speaker, no problems no complaints

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Theres about 7 topics this mons about STL, LED oufitters, uniforms warehouste etc. just search, youll see al the negative feedback, poor quality and poor customer service, and out of every 13 complaints, there will be one success story.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
I had a locall FF have them all over his truck... a huge front dash light and the whole 9 yards... He was blocking traffic for a " powerlines down" call to assist the city.. The wires on the inside of the light melted, shorted out the bar, and filled his truck with smoke.. and nobody knew untill we got back later to open the street up.... that could have caused a Firefighter or a city worker to be injured by a car.. Not worth it IMHO!!

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Just get used lights off of here if you are looking to save money. IMO, their prices really aren't all that great...

zach3713

May 28, 2010
Georgia
People here on the board HATE them with a passion. I personally think that the lights are hit or miss as far as quality goes. That being said, I have to single grill lights, a 4 head dash light, and a 6 head dash light. I have had not ONE single problem with them. I think I have been fortunate. The only complaint I have is that on one of the model dash lights, the flash pattern has no memory.

I would probably have purchased more before reading of EVERYONE else's problems. Now, i wouldn't touch them, and probably try and find something on here.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
sbparkcop said:
I had a guy call me yesterday, asking if a Tomar Scorpion was "as good as a STL light"... I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Of course they're as good as STL!!! :crazy: lol. Yeah, right!

I have never owned STL, but from what I've seen with friends and colleagues, any knock off lights is a hit and miss type of situation. I've seen some lights last up to this day and are 2+ years old, but most of them quit within the first year, if not weeks. But you must remember, this is for a volly fire dept., so were not running them 24/7 (ish) like LE or such would. Like Localhero said, if you were to run them for a while, they would probably catch fire. Just my opinion, but I would buy stuff off of here and/or from a dealer that sells quality lights.

Jan 14, 2011
Brisbane Australia
Just my personal opinion but irrespective of a products amount of use you have to be able to TRUST it to come on all the time, at any time and then operate for as long as needed.

An emergency vehicle without working (even inadequate) warning lights is ineffective and unsafe for the crew and public.

What good would an 'occasional' use lightbar be if you were responded to deal with today's tornado disaster and working throughout the night ?

'She'll be right' doesn't cut the mustard when lives are at stake.

Just my 2.2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Dugald

'Be Seen - Be Safe' :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Can we have a Mod/Admin create a Sticky thread about STL so we can automatically have all new discussions promptly closed on them?

I mean really, how hard is it to put one "STL Caveat Emptor" thread??

bobnash78

May 1, 2011
Bloomingdale, Oh
Go with the micro man, micromanindustries.com There are all sorts of videos on youtube and I haven't seen one complaint yet. I ordered two 16" bars, 12 LEDs on each bar, for $160 ish with a coupon code. His prices are awsome. They come with suction cup mounts that are on the sides so you can mount these bars at the very top of your windshield unlike other interior lightbars. His lights come in increments of 4"/3 LED's.

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
localhero800 said:
I had a locall FF have them all over his truck... a huge front dash light and the whole 9 yards... He was blocking traffic for a " powerlines down" call to assist the city.. The wires on the inside of the light melted, shorted out the bar, and filled his truck with smoke.. and nobody knew untill we got back later to open the street up.... that could have caused a Firefighter or a city worker to be injured by a car.. Not worth it IMHO!!

Are you 100% sure it was the lighting that caused itself to overheat and not some weekend-beer drinking-shade tree installing ?

Not all of us can afford to have a Pro Install our gear.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Get your cash and then set it on fire the flames of your cash burning will be probably brighter than anything you will buy from them bro.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
ark_firefighter said:
Are you 100% sure it was the lighting that caused itself to overheat and not some weekend-beer drinking-shade tree installing ?

Well.. I helped him install them, so i know they were installed correctly. The dash light that melted, was a cig plug setup, so there was no wiring there. The 6 head dash light had a 20a fuse in it, out of the box, and i assume that it had a short over time, and the fuse didnt pop before it melted.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
ark_firefighter said:

And thats precisely why I do Installs for my firefighters on my department for free. I dont want to run a call to their truck on fire. Thats why i learned to install myself, because i couldnt afford to have someone else do it. So over the years, looking at other installs(here and in person) learned to do it RIGHT myself!!

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
ark_firefighter said:

LOL this story has played out many a times here in our department lol

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Station 3 said:
LOL this story has played out many a times here in our department lol

But it was fun thought... Lol

To the OP, when I started out a few years back, in '06. I was asked by a small town volly ff to install a STL strobe kit that only flashed once and all tubes and ps burnt out. I tried to explain that's what happens when you buy like a retarded and they just couldn't seem to understand. They continued to buy up all the knock off talons off of ebay even after they just melted away in the TX heat because "they are cheap and work the same"... BS but to each retard there own.

rfd63381

Nov 25, 2010
New York
i have the G4 grill lights and they are some of the brightest lights on my truck, other than the light bar, and all mof my lights are brand name like whelen and SVP.

GoatMan165

Jul 27, 2010
Southeastern US
I hate to admit this, but we have an STL bar on one of our brush trucks. We do not have the STL controller for it, so I'm not sure about its functionality, but the bar is pretty low-profile and still works after the several months we've had it.

On the other hand, it's completely ineffective in the sun and not very bright at night, either. The alley and take-down lights are laughable and practically worthless. I would feel better if we had a halogen rotator or strobe bar, they would have been cheaper to buy new and far more effective. I've seen minibars that offer more warning power.

I'm not comfortable driving the truck with this bar as the primary warning. It's got HLF, TLF, and grille lights, but that lightbar is dangerous.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
msr510 said:
I used to carry their product when they were first starting out but i got rid of them because of issues with the LED's go Feniex
Woah woah, I thought we all figured out months and months ago that Fenix was run and even had the same domain/address as Speed Tech Lights I also believe there was a thread arguing with Fenix that they are not speedtech even though various members had pulled proof?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.