Opinions on outfitting 2002 Explorer/ Interior light bar help

LFDTruck4

Jul 24, 2011
New York
Hey guys, I am finally looking to outfit my 02 explorer with blue lighting for Vol. FD here in NY.  I want to add an interior light bar, since it is hard to find an Inner edge in blue for it, I was wondering what brands and models people have used in the 02 explorers. I would want a Linear light bar, I have considered a UV 60 in all blue since take downs aren't as necessary here on Long Island but I'm open to all ideas.   

One setup I was thinking about was as follows, would love to hear some input

Front- Interior light bar,  Whelen 400's on the front of push bar and sides for intersections, HLF

Rear, R/B 8 head dominator or two dual R/B talons,  and HAW's in tail lights, not sure if Red,White, or Blue yet.

Thanks for the help!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hey guys, I am finally looking to outfit my 02 explorer with blue lighting for Vol. FD here in NY.  I want to add an interior light bar, since it is hard to find an Inner edge in blue for it, I was wondering what brands and models people have used in the 02 explorers. I would want a Linear light bar, I have considered a UV 60 in all blue since take downs aren't as necessary here on Long Island but I'm open to all ideas.   

One setup I was thinking about was as follows, would love to hear some input

Front- Interior light bar,  Whelen 400's on the front of push bar and sides for intersections, HLF

Rear, R/B 8 head dominator or two dual R/B talons,  and HAW's in tail lights, not sure if Red,White, or Blue yet.

Thanks for the help!

I'd look into the axixtech stealth visor....as with any universal mount, the universal stealth visor doesn't fit perfectly without modification, but it's pretty good fit for the older explorers and bright.

For the rear, I'd go with a blue TIR D8 or similar (ie SNM e66 dual color blue with Amber TA override, cobra 600/800, ultra lite 12, etc) in the rear window. The tail lights in that era explorer are small, so I'd recommend buying some nice lightheads to out on the rear LP bracket instead of HAWs/LAWs. However, if u do want LAWs there, go with cannons (for duo color, you can have them steady burn clear for reverse lights and flash blue for warning).

As for the HLF, clear/red HAWs, and red LEDs to the rear, stay away from it. I know there are tons of people, especially in Long Island, that "get away with it," but pretty much everyone here will tell u to keep it limited to BLUE light privileges b/c that's what the law says. As a former line officer in NYC, I never had a problem with my members putting as many blue lights on their POVs as they wanted (beyond the outdated single dash beacon V&T law), but adding other EV colors is honestly stretching it beyond acceptable.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I usually tell people to go with two syncable dash lights over a universal interior bar and mount them to the headliner

Reactions: Chris W

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Go with two Feniex Cobra 200's in B/B mounted to the headliner.  You'll have to modify them a tiny bit to get both heads in the unit to flash at once but do that and then sync the 200's together on a pattern that isn't too fast or too slow.  For the rear I'd go with a Feniex Cobra 600 or a StrobesNMore E66.  Not sure how new to this you are, but you don't have to stick to the big 3 to get quality lights, just stay away from low priced Chinese crap(or high priced Chinese crap for that matter).  This site is your friend, do some research and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Does it have to be Whelen?  I had a 2004 Explorer with a Feniex Pegasus.  I then converted it to Cobra bar.  That same bar is now in my 2009 Explorer.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
You selling yours? Feniex is no longer making any frames for that model 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.