Opinions/Thoughts on Power Arc, DL-12

J. Thompson

May 24, 2010
Gulf of Mexico
What are peoples thoughts and opinions on the Power Arc DL-12? Looking for some real world usage feedback on this, including likes/dislikes, pros/cons....

I have thought about buying one and putting it on the dash of my '07 Dodge Ram 2500..........

Also, who sells these?

J.

I sell them, Send me a PM for a deal.

I like them (biased), but I have three in use at a local volunteer station PG 12, as well as two XM-12 Exterior mounts in use at PG 10. 12 has had their for over two years (closer to three) and love them. I can tell you from personal experience in watching 12 respond to an accident that traffic moved for the ambulance the chief that had them running on a major roadway (US Rt 1 in College Park, MD after a UMD football game). It's probably me, but I noticed the movement/sweep of the DL along with the wig wags before I heard them.

If you want alternatives, there is the P-14 Flashing dash light, and the MP-13 which is a hybrid P-14 lower/DL-12 upper light that was released this month.

I own 2. Both are solid blue. I have one in my Expedition and one in my Canyon. I wont use anything else for primary warning. On my Canyon, it is the only forward light I have. No HLF or grille. I have zero problems moving traffic in the day or night. I get excellent interesction coverage at the critical angles. I never have problems with any "dark-time" since it is always on. When one section is covering the interstection, the other side is providing the forward warning. I will be adding the MP-13s in a pair shortly to the grille. With the flashers in blue and the sweeps in white. I will add a pair to the rear with one in blue sweep/amber flash and amber sweep/blue flash.

I actually was following a state trooper to a call one afternoon. After all was said and done, he came back to my expedition. He asked me where my lightbar flew off at. I had a really dumb look on my face i'm sure. I told him I didnt have one. He swore up and down that it was me behind him and that I had one. I had to turn everything back on and show him the light. I had the DL-12 with shield dash mounted, 2 lx4 in grille and a HLF. He said to turn off all but the DL. He walked in front of my truck to look, walked back to his car and looked, and then got in it and looked in his rearview. He got back out and wanted to know where he could buy one. Said it had the appearence of a full lightbar. He was 1/2 mile ahead when we were responding and parked about 100 yards infront upon blocking.

I've had several guys try and buy them off of me. No way. I am about an hour drive from their facility. I speak to the president on occasion. Excellent guy to deal with and really knows his products. I am really looking forward to anything new they come out with in the future. I would even put a VOLT on my canyon if I could.

Now alot of guys gripe about it being an led with a motor. And how it defeats the purpose of led... Nah. Its a concept that the "BIG 3" didn't try first so it automatically is a bad idea in alot of doubters eyes. Whatever! I get tired of hearing that crap. I also hear about the amps and how putting it in motion takes us a step back to halogens and rotors. The DL draws nothing close to an C3 or FS rotor with a 55 watt bulb. If it is such a bad idea, then why did I see it on a V-bar at FDIC this year?

Ok... enough rant... My opinion is, get one J... I do not believe you will be disappointed. If you are, contact me and I will buy it off of you myself. I believe in its quality as a primary warning device that much.

I saw them at the San Diego show a couple of months ago. I saw on Fire truck with only Power arc led's . They seem bright I have never saw any of them in the NY metro area in use yet.

The fire department I was on in Harnett County had on our new engine all power arc LED's they are very bright and did move traffic well. The only thing I am not sure about the motor in them and how long they will last or stand up to high use. But I have not heard of any porblems with them as of yet.

medicandy said:
The fire department I was on in Harnett County had on our new engine all power arc LED's they are very bright and did move traffic well. The only thing I am not sure about the motor in them and how long they will last or stand up to high use. But I have not heard of any porblems with them as of yet.

All PowerArc items come with a five year warranty on everything, including the motors. Per Ken Menke (President of PowerArc), "if it fails at 4 years 11 months and 29 days, we will replace it." He made that statement to several folks asking about the warranty at Harrisburg a couple of weeks ago.

There is a department here in PG County (9) that has a halogen version of the PA210 for over 6 years now without an issue (well, they might have changed the bulb once).

gfpd26 said:
Ok... enough rant... My opinion is, get one J... I do not believe you will be disappointed. If you are, contact me and I will buy it off of you myself. I believe in its quality as a primary warning device that much.

No worries! I will be buying one and look forward to getting it!

Hell of a testimonial that you have there, gfpd26.

Appreciate everybody's feedback on this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381